HID relay harness setup help

break1205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
I got the Blitz Bullet DC HID kit and have been using it for a few months. I installed it without the relay harness - simple plug and play into the OEM power source. But, when it gets dark outside and the car automatically turns on the low beam lights, the car just dies. Pretty dangerous, so i'm assuming there isn't enough power supplied through the OEM source.

So i'm trying to install them with a relay harness but I can't seem to get it to work. I've connected the positive connection wire to the car fuse box, and negative to the front bumper(ground) - check uploaded pictures. The lights worked perfectly fine without the harness so I know I got the polarity correct as well as all the other connections.

Below is the diagram for the wiring which I followed. Relay harness connects to OEM power source(Driver side). Connect power connection to ballast. Then there's a long connection wire for the passenger side HID light. Connect Positive connection to fuse box (shown in picture), connect negative connection to ground(bumper).

When I switch on low beams, I can hear the relay harness fuse box thing flick on, meaning that it's drawing power but the HID lights don't light up. Which steps did I miss? I've tried connecting the positive connection to the red positive terminal(top left in the picture) but that didn't work at all. No flicking sound coming from relay harness when I switch on low beams.

View attachment 37436

Honda Civic 10th gen HID relay harness setup help 18596857_1323984101018011_992810631_o

Honda Civic 10th gen HID relay harness setup help 18575404_1323984084351346_2039045485_o

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you tested your ground and power sources?

OP
OP

break1205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
Have you tested your ground and power sources?
Uhmm what do you mean by test? I saw another thread that used the fuse box as the positive power source and the mounting bolt of the fuse box as ground. When I turn on low beams, I do hear a click sound from my relay harness fuse box.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Uhmm what do you mean by test? I saw another thread that used the fuse box as the positive power source and the mounting bolt of the fuse box as ground. When I turn on low beams, I do hear a click sound from my relay harness fuse box.
From what I understand the click just means that you are getting a signal from the low beam input to activate the relay. I'd make sure your relay is getting power and that your ground is solid. A multimeter is the best way to check both.

OP
OP

break1205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
From what I understand the click just means that you are getting a signal from the low beam input to activate the relay. I'd make sure your relay is getting power and that your ground is solid. A multimeter is the best way to check both.
Oh.. No I don't have a multimeter.. and tutorials out there for HID kits don't show where they're connecting their positive/negatives..

Smitty33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Ex
I installed the Opt 7 55w kit. The connection for the relay only requires you to connect to one power source (headlight). You leave the other unplugged. The relay has the positive red wire though connected to the battery with an inline fuse.

Now the part I dislike is the connection to the headlight bulb. It doesnt fit right. I had to push the metal connectors together from the relay wire so it fits the headlight power connection (part that connects to the oem standard bulb)

Hope that helps

Smitty33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine did the same. Didnt power one and realized those connections i mentioned I disliked weren't touching hence I had to modify it slightly. I almost returned the kit but so far no problems.

OP
OP

break1205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
I installed the Opt 7 55w kit. The connection for the relay only requires you to connect to one power source (headlight). You leave the other unplugged. The relay has the positive red wire though connected to the battery with an inline fuse.

Now the part I dislike is the connection to the headlight bulb. It doesnt fit right. I had to push the metal connectors together from the relay wire so it fits the headlight power connection (part that connects to the oem standard bulb)

Hope that helps
Yeah I know it only requires connection from one power source(Driver side). Could I see a picture of your setup? Did you have your positive/negative connections set the same way I did? My positive red wire to the fuse box and negative black wire to the front bumper.

I don't understand what you mean by "Pushing the metal connectors together from the relay wire" part. I did find the connection from the OEM power source to the relay abit loose in a way. I tried hard to plug them hard together but doesn't seem to work..

Smitty33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I know it only requires connection from one power source(Driver side). Could I see a picture of your setup? Did you have your positive/negative connections set the same way I did? My positive red wire to the fuse box and negative black wire to the front bumper.

I don't understand what you mean by "Pushing the metal connectors together from the relay wire" part. I did find the connection from the OEM power source to the relay abit loose in a way. I tried hard to plug them hard together but doesn't seem to work..
They wont click together so dont force it. The one pkug from the relay, look inside it. You will see two metal prongs in it. They are too wide to slide into the connector. You will need a small skinny screw driver to push those metal prongs a little closer together. Trial and error. Once done try to plug it in. It may not click into place but if it fires up just tape the connectors together. I can try to take a picture tomorrow.

I did not use your power and negative source. I powered straight to the battery itself and used a battery negative location for the negative wire.

OP
OP

break1205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
They wont click together so dont force it. The one pkug from the relay, look inside it. You will see two metal prongs in it. They are too wide to slide into the connector. You will need a small skinny screw driver to push those metal prongs a little closer together. Trial and error. Once done try to plug it in. It may not click into place but if it fires up just tape the connectors together. I can try to take a picture tomorrow.

I did not use your power and negative source. I powered straight to the battery itself and used a battery negative location for the negative wire.
Interesting so the prongs aren't touching the OEM plug holes(lol idk how to describe it), i'll try to play around with the prongs. And regarding powering straight to the battery, did you hook up your positive to the battery with the red cap ?

Smitty33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From our amazing ways of describing it yes, that is right lol. And yes I powered to the positive battery terminal. I will snap a pic tomorrow. Sorry about that.

OP
OP

break1205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2016
From our amazing ways of describing it yes, that is right lol. And yes I powered to the positive battery terminal. I will snap a pic tomorrow. Sorry about that.
Very odd. So I originally had my setup like this (Picture attached). Positive direct connected to the battery, but with that setup, there isn't even a click sound that signals power is going into the relay. That's why I tried using the fuse box(Saw it in some other post). No worries take your time, i'll try playing with the prongs tomorrow after work.

Honda Civic 10th gen HID relay harness setup help 18676761_1329109907172097_1882742388_o
Honda Civic 10th gen HID relay harness setup help 18676761_1329109907172097_1882742388_o

Smitty33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright. Ran out to the garage and snapped some pics.

So this is the connection Im talking about. You will need to mess with the metal prongs to make them connect to the stock wiring.

Honda Civic 10th gen HID relay harness setup help 20170526_224849