Hey aftermarket companies - rear spoiler needed - help us sedan owners!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
For 2 1/2 years, I've been looking for a replacement for my rinky dink mini rear lip spoiler. You know, the one that is on all EX-T, EX-L, Sport and Touring sedan models...

Honda Civic 10th gen Hey aftermarket companies - rear spoiler needed - help us sedan owners! IMG_20191007_111946

Yeah that one. I have no idea why Honda decided to add something so minimal yet bolt it down and make holes in the decklid. So, unless we want to deal with the pain of removing that lip and patching the holes, 10's of thousands of sedan owners are basically stuck with it.

But, I have an idea, and one that I believe is do-able. There has to be a way for an enterprising aftermarket company to design a more sporty and bigger lip spoiler that fits over that existing lip, sort of using it as a base. It could be attached with 3M acrylic tape. I know the market is there. I can't be the only one that wants a new spoiler who's frustrated there's nothing out the there we can buy.

Here's the look I'd like to see on my car. And again I think my idea is do-able. Maybe someone will step up and help us out...

Honda Civic 10th gen Hey aftermarket companies - rear spoiler needed - help us sedan owners! IMG_20191007_112012

Honda Civic 10th gen Hey aftermarket companies - rear spoiler needed - help us sedan owners! IMG_20191007_112039

Honda Civic 10th gen Hey aftermarket companies - rear spoiler needed - help us sedan owners! IMG_20191007_112119

Anyone else interested?

Last edited:

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Man you're just lucky you have a non-Si sedan so you actually can install a wing around/over that stock lip. Us Si sedans are basically screwed unless we have a body shop weld/fill 10-12 holes and smooth it out and repaint to cover where our tiny little "spoiler" currently is :(

I think your best bet is still to remove that stock lip and install one of the duckbill ones, it looks like they would cover the holes left from the stock one

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For 2 1/2 years, I've been looking for a replacement for my rinky dink mini rear lip spoiler. You know, the one that is on all EX-T, EX-L, Sport and Touring sedan models...

IMG_20191007_111946.jpg

Yeah that one. I have no idea why Honda decided to add something so minimal yet bolt it down and make holes in the decklid. So, unless we want to deal with the pain of removing that lip and patching the holes, 10's of thousands of sedan owners are basically stuck with it.

But, I have an idea, and one that I believe is do-able. There has to be a way for an enterprising aftermarket company to design a more sporty and bigger lip spoiler that fits over that existing lip, sort of using it as a base. It could be attached with 3M acrylic tape. I know the market is there. I can't be the only one that wants a new spoiler who's frustrated there's nothing out the there we can buy.

Here's the look I'd like to see on my car. And again I think my idea is do-able. Maybe someone will step up and help us out...

IMG_20191007_112012.jpg

IMG_20191007_112039.jpg

IMG_20191007_112119.jpg

Anyone else interested?
I’ve seen many non-Si sedans with aftermarket spoilers on Instagram, albeit from different countries. I believe many companies here in the North America aren’t looking into it (especially for non-Si sedans) due to the lack of interest. I mean, many of those looking for aftermarket parts have an Si or Type R and even then, they are looking for performance gains or anything cosmetic that for the most part is more sought after than that of a sedan who really caters to the people looking for reliability in a car. Personally, I too would love a nice spoiler to compliment by beautiful sedan but I don’t really see any North American companies stepping up in the near future so create and design one that specifically meets our needs and wants. And that’s fine. I don’t mind. I totally get it. But anyways, I will be looking into a spoiler from the Asian market but the problem is that it’s been hard to get feedback from people who have those spoilers mainly because they post for the views and not for the people like me or us who are interested in adopting a similar style or setup to theirs! I can go on but that’s my 2¢ lol

Vtec_Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bruh there’s many other wings for the regular sedan, now the Si *COUPE* now that’s a tough one, we don’t have anything really other than a type r wing but other than that we are left behind

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Bruh there’s many other wings for the regular sedan, now the Si *COUPE* now that’s a tough one, we don’t have anything really other than a type r wing but other than that we are left behind
And Si sedan since we can't remove our stock lame spoiler without leaving a ton of holes. Sucks that all of us Si's are super limited with wing options.

SilverB

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
When I got my 2017 LX Sedan, I looked for something that was a little more than the stock deck lid spoiler but didn't find anything I liked so I did my own. This is a carbon and glass composite, no screws - VHB tape only. When I bought the car I had some paint damage to fix so I already had the LSM tp make a perfect match.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hey aftermarket companies - rear spoiler needed - help us sedan owners! P1010755

Honda Civic 10th gen Hey aftermarket companies - rear spoiler needed - help us sedan owners! P1010752

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it’s already available. Ask OP where he bought it:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/sold-gloss-black-duckbill-for-sedans.42974/
I think you may be misunderstanding my first post. The EX-T's and above come stock with a tiny lip spoiler. In their "wisdom" Honda drilled holes and bolted it onto the rear deck. 3M automotive tape wouId have sufficed, IMO.

A workaround for us EX-T, EX-L and Touring owners wanting a bigger spoiler would be an aftermarket company designing a spoiler that could be mounted over the existing spoiler sort of using it as a base.

The OP in that topic you linked has a base LX which come spoiler-less from the factory making it easy to add any spoiler they want. That's my beef. Honda gave us upper trim owners this laughably tiny spoiler and drilled holes in our decklids basically making it really difficult to add an aftermarket spoiler.

It sucks that right now we almost need to buy an LX trunk lid to add a spoiler. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think you may be misunderstanding my first post. The EX-T's and above come stock with a tiny lip spoiler. In their "wisdom" Honda drilled holes and bolted it onto the rear deck. 3M automotive tape wouId have sufficed, IMO.

A workaround for us EX-T, EX-L and Touring owners wanting a bigger spoiler would be an aftermarket company designing a spoiler that could be mounted over the existing spoiler sort of using it as a base.

The OP in that topic you linked has a base LX which come spoiler-less from the factory making it easy to add a spoiler. That's my beef. Honda gave us this laughably tiny spoiler and drilled holes in our decklids basically making it really difficult to add an aftermarket spoiler.

It sucks that right now we almost need to buy an LX trunk lid to add a spoiler. Ridiculous.
The easiest aftermarket solution would be something that also doesn't exist, but does for previous gen Civics: a wing that comes with a lower piece to cover the factory drilled holes. Wish they had this for a 16+
Honda Civic 10th gen Hey aftermarket companies - rear spoiler needed - help us sedan owners! s-l500

Honda Civic 10th gen Hey aftermarket companies - rear spoiler needed - help us sedan owners! s-l640

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. The holes just make no sense. 3M automotive tape is crazy strong. And if you've seen a stock EX-T lip, it's literally a puny inch wide and a half an inch high. Those four holes are overkill and like I said we can't replace the spoiler without a huge pain in the ass and figuring out a way to properly plug those holes.

I've always added aftermarket spoilers to my cars so I've been frustrated as hell with what Honda did.

I just wish they would have left the spoiler off the higher end sedans like the cheaper base LX so we could easily add our own.

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
I would love something like you described in the OP, for my Sport sedan.

Anyone got a huge 3D printer? :D

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man you're just lucky you have a non-Si sedan so you actually can install a wing around/over that stock lip. Us Si sedans are basically screwed unless we have a body shop weld/fill 10-12 holes and smooth it out and repaint to cover where our tiny little "spoiler" currently is :(

I think your best bet is still to remove that stock lip and install one of the duckbill ones, it looks like they would cover the holes left from the stock one
Could always trunk swap with the same color lx

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Could always trunk swap with the same color lx
Yeah that's definitely the only good way. Problem is finding an LX owner who's down to do it... would have to start going up to moms at the grocery store with their fully stock Civics and hitting them up for a trunk swap :rofl::rofl:

Drew36

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I want people to make something for the coupe si
Sponsored