Help with Wheel Damage after Dealer Service Visit!

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Don't let them downplay the damage or make you feel like you're the one being unreasonable or an inconvenience.

I would definitely ask about the car wash, as others have mentioned. Most of the time, my dealer has a couple of random low-level guys sitting around that run the cars back and forth to the shop and car wash. I always ask for "no car wash." I wouldn't trust those guys with my car under any circumstance.

I had a situation where I filed a claim against a local tire installation shop. The guy that got ahold of my car went ape with the impact on my wheels and scuffed all of them. Rotational marks on the inside of the sockets and such. It wasn't nearly as bad as your situation, but they still F'ed up, and I refused to let them lack accountability for it. The claim took months, and they tried every trick to drag it out, promise to call back- but wait days or weeks to hear, never answered the phone, pretended that they lost photos from the shop foreman of the damage, pretended to not receive damage evidence- I mean, seriously I feel like they went page by page through a playbook to avoid payment on the claim. In the end, they compensated me for the damage, but it was a PITA. They made sure to make it that way, too.

Keep asking questions, asking for the right people, and file through the proper channels. Send emails and avoid leaving details or discussions open-ended. Make sure to word messages like: "Per our conversation, blah blah blah, we discussed x, y, and z. If any of those details seem out of place, please respond and let me know." Cover yourself during any process where you are seeking restitution. That's a hefty claim to simply have to eat.
Sponsored

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi everyone - hoping someone out there might be able to help me figure out what could have happened at my dealer service department to cause damage on three of my four Titan-7 wheels. Took my 2019 CTR in for the fuel pump recall service (another horror story - had a fuel leak and my fuel gauge was hosed, but that's for another time) and an oil change and ended up having my wheels damaged. Service Manager claims there is no way the damage could have occurred at his establishment (Jones Honda in Lancaster, PA). But I am the only driver of this car and I know, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that this damage did not happen while I was driving it. Hoping that someone might be able to help me figure out what could have caused this while at the service department. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Jim

Driver's Front:
Drivers Front Wheel.jpg

Passenger Front:
Pass Side Front Wheel.jpg

Passenger Rear:
Pass Side Back Wheel.jpg
Oh, I'm sure this occurred when everyone was taking turns hooning the hell out of it.
I have 0-ZERO confidence in any dealership, this is one of many instances proving my point.
It usually comes down to who has the most expensive lawyer.
I'm sorry you're having to go thru this, but life always gives us the test before the lesson.
Wish you all the best.

PS:

How much does it cost to file a small claims case in Pennsylvania?
The fee for filing a complaint varies, currently ranging between $53.00 and $127.50, depending on the amount of money claimed in the case. There will also be additional charge to cover the cost of delivering a copy of the complaint to the defendant.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
When I had tires put on I pulled up in front so I was sure the manager was looking. Got out and took a photo of each wheel before I went in. Car came back without defects and I sat in the waiting room to make sure there was no "test driving". You wouldn't think you would have to do that at the dealer, but...forewarned is forearmed.
I had a situation where I filed a claim against a local tire installation shop.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
doesnt the dealer do a check in inspection as well to cover their ass? What does it say?
This....

In the Philippines, the dealers have a standard operating protocol to have a checklist and body diagram to indicate where the blemish or damage/s on the car is/are upon entry to the dealership so that just in case the owner accuses the dealership about a certain damage after service, they can cover themselves.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
I take pics of the odometer/trip odo to make sure there was no joyriding if it's a shop I have to leave it at.

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
It looks like it was driven between some kind of metal railing, maybe lift supports or those metal risers around oil change bays?

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
When I had tires put on I pulled up in front so I was sure the manager was looking. Got out and took a photo of each wheel before I went in. Car came back without defects and I sat in the waiting room to make sure there was no "test driving". You wouldn't think you would have to do that at the dealer, but...forewarned is forearmed.
Funny you mention that- when they "lost" the photos of the tire damages, I was happy to send them the photos I took BEFORE I dropped it off in the parking lot, and the photos of the damage when they handed the keys back to me! Always protect yourself!

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
Did they have it on a 4 post lift?
These kind of lifts have a drive on ramp and often have a narrow entry that you can kerb the wheels on if you're not careful. It's like a little wrap around kerb to prevent you from driving off the platform. I'm totally guessing though. I'm amazed they managed to do it to 3 wheels.

Is there any other damage? Might be worth looking underneath and seeing if there's anything not obvious from up top.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
This is curb rash damage. I've seen what a 4 post and a 2 post lift will do to a wheel, and they will make deep gashes into the lip. Rack damage will usually leave paint from the rack arms into the wheel as well. The recall can be done on flat ground, you don't lift the car in anyway to replace the fuel pump.

If you can FOR SURE know this wasn't you, it appears to be lot damage.

Best course of action for you:
-Review the RO paper work, as mentioned, there should be somewhere that shows a little car to mark "previous body damage" somewhere. If nothing is mentioned, you have a good case.
-No service manager is paying for new Titans for you, sorry, they would rather lose you as a customer than pay that. However, if you get a quote from a wheel repair shop to repair the wheels and bring it to him that way you have a better shot. They will eat a $300 wheel repair bill WAYYYYYY before they fork over $2k+ for wheel replacements. Tell the manager the damage wasn't there before and is not noted on the repair order. Pretty much boxes them in a corner after that.

Good luck and as mentioned, always request no car wash.

hector12t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Had this happened at the local Honda dealership. They stood behind it and fixed it. They even said that they figured out the root cause was a broken guide and one of their car wash bays. Apparently they had to fix many customer cars. They sent it to a body shop and put me in a rental car for 2 days while they sanded and repainted my wheels.

But yeah as everyone else said hold them accountable. As the last resort threatened legal action. They have lawyers on staff but they don't like the pay them for crap like this.

nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet here on the repair costs - I just never thought I'd have to go to such lengths to make sure that the dealer service department wouldn't screw up my car. I'm going to file a civil complaint anyway just on principle. My guess is it's like you guys said - test drive/joyride - but proving it is another matter. Just can't envision a scenario where they messed up three of four wheels! Crazy.
You have an option on build in navigation to check where the car was that day, when Navigation opens up click on apps and there is an app I think its called where have i been or something like that. just select the date and you will be able to see where they drove it that day

nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
you can turn on gps tracking? please do a video.. i need to know
Im on my phone now , let me figure out how to attach it here and will send it. Its on all the time automatically whenever car is being driven it is recorded

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
3G TL did this iirc. It's all stored locally on the in-dash GPS though, not like you can track it using your phone. You can just see where the car went when you hop back in. I dont think it has any other telemetry so it wont be really useful if the tech wrings the crap out of it around the block.

Test drives are a normal part of taking it in to the dealer, so GPS wouldnt be proof of anything unless they drove it home for the night. Not as useful of having a video recording of what they did.

Last edited:

nick_takov

First Name
Nikola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R R-21190
Country flag
3G TL did this iirc. It's all stored locally on the in-dash GPS though, not like you can track it using your phone. You can just see where the car went when you hop back in. I dont think it has any other telemetry so it wont be really useful if the tech wrings the crap out of it around the block.

Test drives are a normal part of taking it in to the dealer, so GPS wouldnt be proof of anything unless they drove it home for the night. Not as useful of having a video recording of what they did.
That is correct but still he can try get them to fix it. It will only prove how long the test drive was and nothing beyond that.