Help with PRL Stage 1 intake (rubbing hose)

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Hey guys

So I installed the PRL stage 1 intake a few weeks ago and everything seemed fine. No issues. I recently brought my car into Honda for the valve cover gasket replacement (I had a leaking valve cover gasket). Immediately on my ride home from the dealership I noticed a weird smell from the engine bay. Nothing extreme; just different. When I got home the car definitely had a "burning rubber" smell. I checked all hoses and the only thing I noticed was one of the hoses going into the PRL silicone intake tube seemed to be rubbing on the under surface of the hood. There's a black mark on the hood and the rubber hose is wearing down. The hose does smell like "burning rubber".

Any suggestions for making more clearance? Should I cut a few inches from the hose to shorten it? Rotating the intake tube?

I don't think Honda needed to remove the intake tube to do the valve cover gasket so I don't know what changed since the service.

Thoughts?

Honda Civic 10th gen Help with PRL Stage 1 intake (rubbing hose) IMG_3071
Sponsored

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I took a side view. I labeled the hose with an "arrow". The hose definitely is not oriented correctly. I guess Honda messed with the PRL intake tube.

Honda Civic 10th gen Help with PRL Stage 1 intake (rubbing hose) IMG_3073

late camaro

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Nova SS, 01 S2000, 15 Camaro SS/1LE, 18 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try rotating the PRL end of the hose to make it have a lower height. The plastic clip that holds it to the near hose can be positioned to help keep both low and clear as well. Put a little oil/grease on it to check for contact with the hood frame.

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
yes, you can turn the black plastic insert to make that hose lower. I had to do the same thing

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
I had this issue. Rotating it didn’t help for me, as the hose would stick up no matter what.

What worked for me was reinstalling the tube, and mounting it in this order.

inlet side > big plastic straight > small one with the metal lines > air box side. Doing it this way allows you to have the big plastic part tuck UNDER the metal line going sideways providing a lot of clearance and the hose that rubs sits like it would with OEM airbox.

Attached is a before and after. Don’t mind the white paint, that was my paint pen to check if it was still rubbing under the hood

Honda Civic 10th gen Help with PRL Stage 1 intake (rubbing hose) FD8B1D7F-9D82-4559-B4E3-641362A6F531

Honda Civic 10th gen Help with PRL Stage 1 intake (rubbing hose) 21178798-E41A-4962-9D42-B77D040A9E98

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
nlet side > big plastic straight > small one with the metal lines > air box side.
What does this mean? haha

I was playing around for an hour last night and can't get the two lines going into the EVAP purge plastic piece to both clear the hood at the same time. It's either one clears and the other doesn't; and vice verse. Nor can I get the EVAP purge plastic piece to clear the metal coolant line so both lines clear the hood.

Frustrating part is - the orientation I see that definitely clears the hood is the OEM position with the piece is going "UP and DOWN" (like 12 and 6 o'clock position) ... and that 100% can't clear the metal coolant lines and I need to angle the purge piece (like 2 and 7 o'clock position) which causes one line to rub the hood.

I'll play again tonight after work and try your way based on the pictures. Just don't understand the above statement:

nlet side > big plastic straight > small one with the metal lines > air box side.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are four places the silicone tube connects.
The turbo inlet side, which is the left, then the two on the top. One is small, one is the big plastic thing. Then the right side which is the air box...

the only way I was able to fix the hose rubbing was to mount the tube in the order of my first post. This will allow you to have the plastic piece positioned 12-6 and tuck under the metal line.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry for the confusion, I typed those previous messages on my phone lol. Please post back with how it goes!

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Sorry for the confusion, I typed those previous messages on my phone lol. Please post back with how it goes!
Well thank you sir. I loosed everything and did your sequence and the fit is much better. I still can't get the EVAP purge exactly 12/6 o'clock position. I'm at 12.5 / 6.5 o'clock and about 2mm away from the metal line. I put paste on the rubber hoses and no residual on hood. So I feel this is the best I can get it. Thanks for your help!

Just a good post for people that have PRL stage 1 or HVI to really check that the rubber hoses are not rubbing on the hood. I never imagined it'll rub when I installed intake and really didn't think twice about it during the initial install. Only when I noticed the hose leaving a mark on the hood did I really appreciate the clearance.

I'll watch over the next few weeks that all is well - but feel it should be fine.

OP
OP
ToofHurts

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I also feel that PRL can shorten the silicon port for the EVAP purge by a 1/4-1/2 inch and It'll immensely help with clearance issues.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well thank you sir. I loosed everything and did your sequence and the fit is much better. I still can't get the EVAP purge exactly 12/6 o'clock position. I'm at 12.5 / 6.5 o'clock and about 2mm away from the metal line. I put paste on the rubber hoses and no residual on hood. So I feel this is the best I can get it. Thanks for your help!

Just a good post for people that have PRL stage 1 or HVI to really check that the rubber hoses are not rubbing on the hood. I never imagined it'll rub when I installed intake and really didn't think twice about it during the initial install. Only when I noticed the hose leaving a mark on the hood did I really appreciate the clearance.

I'll watch over the next few weeks that all is well - but feel it should be fine.
Hey man glad it worked out.

For some reason this was the only way I could get it to fit properly as well. Other people have been able to rotate the plastic piece and clear no issues, but certainly not the case for us.

I did the same with the paint on the hose to check haha. I saw it kind of fading and i looked under the hood and saw where it was rubbing and I guess melting and it scared me. Luckily noticed it the day after!

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What am I doing wrong? I've tried mounting this all ways possible and even shortened the prl hose where the valve attaches, it's rubbing the hood.

Honda Civic 10th gen Help with PRL Stage 1 intake (rubbing hose) 20200714_174358

Honda Civic 10th gen Help with PRL Stage 1 intake (rubbing hose) 20200714_174354

late camaro

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Nova SS, 01 S2000, 15 Camaro SS/1LE, 18 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try twisting the tubes, or moving the plastic clips that hold the small tubes in place - the white spots are the factory clip location. You can see what moves or twists get the movement you want. As long as you don’t twist anything closed....

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I did the twist and bent the metal pipe for clearance.
Sponsored