Help with my build please

Oosoaddicted0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda civic
Country flag
Soooo
I’m currently building my 2020 civic sport cvt 1.5l turbo.
So far I have a custom straight pipe exhaust (resonator and mufflers delete)
I have removed my intake air box and am just rocking a HEPA filter temporarily because I want to custom build my intake. This is where you guys come in… I need to figure out where the best place to run a cone filter from… the fog light..? The grill…? The fender…? The opening I made in my hood already…? Should I do silicone tubing or
Someone recommended getting some
Kind of fan that hooks in just before the sensor…which is suppose to help force more air into manifold… and running my intake from the grille. I have customized my grill bc I believe Honda has a shotty design from the hood to grill for air flow. So I opened it right up. I’m nervous about running the filter from below bc I live in Florida and it floods… also, should I go smaller in diameter from intake for higher velocity?

so that’s the first thing I need help with… the next thing is my dp possible fp…

I am running the phearable 1.5 race tune For the majority of the time.
I want less restrictive airflow, obviously, but I don’t want it incredibly loud with a lot of drone…I already have a nice deep rumble and I love the crackles I get while driving in sport manual. Would a catless dp be better with just the stock FP or should I get the combo? Which one should I get..? I’m not into the top name brands bc I feel like it doesnt matter for the dp as they are pretty basic and all are manufactured almost the same. Plus I’m not looking to spend a fortune. I’ll save the bigger bucks for the extras and tuning.

these are the first 2 things on my list to do… here’s the entire list so far..

1: custom CAI (self-built) silicone or titanium? Straight as possible and short as possible. Heat wrap/shield
2: dp- catless? Catted(more$$$)? high flow / possibly a fp
3: intercooler with new hoses
4: lighter pulley kit
5: cvt cooler?
6:replace/upgrade end links
7: sway bar
8: where the hell is this leak coming from..
9: start body work and cosmetics (roof spoiler, finish wing, pinstripes, repaint calipers/rims/front end/trim, wrap roof, replace side markers
Sponsored

Tac3403

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic EX-T sedan 1.5T Cvt
Country flag
1: custom CAI (self-built) silicone or titanium? Straight as possible and short as possible. Heat wrap/shield
I would not bother making your own intake, You will do nothing but increase heat here.. PRL cobra is the way to go for cvt as the 27won ive heard has fitment issues. Short ram is bad, there is too much heat in the engine bay and it will increase IAT's more than a stock intake.
I've only seen people hydrolock driving through water that would straight up flood their vehicle (above the center of the wheel.) IF you are that worried about it, they sell a filter sock that helps keep any water out.
If you choose race maf you will need to be retuned, tsp converted my included tune for free, I'm not sure how much phearable will charge.

2: I want less restrictive airflow … but I don’t want it incredibly loud with a lot of drone
Do the catless downpipe if your county doesn't require emissions testing, and get a resonator from vibrant welded in where the stock one was.
27won would be great for this, but if you cant find their catless for sale, catted is perfectly fine. I would still recommend the vibrant ultra quiet resonator for that as well

I know you don't want to spend money here but this is one of the most important places to do so. being cheap will get you a downpipe with no heat shielding/doesn't reuse stock shielding, as well as not being coated. This will increase under hood temps, intake air temps, everything.

PRL or 27won for this, I believe the 27won unit is slightly cheaper in price and does perform better, but the difference is marginal. I would say you might even want to do this before downpipe just to reduce heat.

Would not bother. Any possible gain will be so little that it would be down to margin of error if you were testing on a dyno. Waste of money better spent elsewhere IMO.

ETL cvt cooler, might want to do this before downpipe as well. It mounts in the location that the prl intake does typically. But, you can mount this to the crash bar up front which is what most people do. I would do this at the same time as your intercooler, just so you don't need to pull the bumper off again.

6:replace/upgrade end links /7 sway bars
Whiteline 22mm rear swaybar, with the accord end links, or whitelines.. either are fine. Front bar is fine imo. If you notice a clunk in the front and it ends up being the swaybar bushings, I would just replace those. spend that money on a strut tower brace and rear chassis bracing first.

What fluid is it? I would deal with this before doing literally anything else to the car lol.

9: start body work and cosmetics (roof spoiler, finish wing, pinstripes, repaint calipers/rims/front end/trim, wrap roof, replace side markers
Mix in some of this as you upgrade performance, the side markers would be a good one to do when you have the bumper off. I would not bother painting the stock calipers, now you could retrofit some brembos from a different car, that's something you would have to search the forum for. Otherwise, 27won's big brake kit is ideal here imo. However I would not take that as a first step. A better pad, higher temp fluid like motul rbf660 and stainless lines from goodridge would be a good package to get you on the track.

Main takeaway: Do it right. Enjoy the car, but spend the money where you know you are getting a solid product. Heat is the enemy in these cars, and should be your number 1 priority being in Florida. It may take you longer to get everything done because of the cost of legit products, but it is 100% worth it.

Last edited:

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Samantha,
Here is my 2 cents on your plan.

A. Do not buy anything that will impede your build quality off of Amazon and certainly not Ebay! By that, I mean, do NOT buy a turbo off of Ebay for $399 or a FMIC from Amazon. You will waste your money!!!!! Go to Forums and go to the bottom. It lists all the reputable sites that sell parts for THIS car.
B. and this is most important.... read through the forums on every answer I have laid out below! Do your own research. Sure, ask questions, but dig first! Personally, I have hundreds of hours in here looking, reading and researching. Then ask questions.

I would just buy a PRL or 27Won system. Fabricating your own will cost you more and yield the exact same outcome but I appreciate your ambition!
DP catless if you want loud noise and/or intend on running a very large turbo. Even then the jury is still out on wether all that is worth it and wether catted/catless yields any real major difference. If you are keeping the stock turbo and keeping the same exhaust dimensions, there is no sense in changing your FP.
Anyone, especially in Floridas climate, will suggest a FMIC. Again, 27Won or PRL are the standard. They both provide the exact parts you need and there is 45 videos on Youtube on how to do this install. ***** Most of us recommend all of these mods being done prior to jumping to a tune but..... more power to you. Again, if you are ambitious and want to fabricate your own, go ahead. Seems like a massive headache and waste of time to reinvent the wheel.
Maybe someone makes a lighter pulley kit? I've never seen one nor read any mention of anyone having it currently. Maybe when we you get to 800 HP or more it makes more sense?? (or 10,000 RPM.)
Well... this changes things a little. A CVT cooler makes sense in your climate YES! If you are serious about taking your car over 350 HP, the CVT transmission will likely give you a migraine first. It just was not desgined for such endeavors. TBT... I do not have a CVT and someone will jump up my ass about how they run 500HP and 45 pounds of boost on their CVT so, have at it!
The rear sway bar is a great bang-for-the-buck mod. The front one is a bitch to replace and some engineers have mentioned that the front is not worth the time and yields little results. The jury is still out on that one. END LINKS are a fantaastic and easy upgrade and should be donw WITH the rear sway bar. The OEM Accord links seem to be the best and cheapest option.
See above!
No idea?!?!?
This is a very compounding question. Make the exterior how YOU want it. Fuck what everyone else does. Do you!

ENJOY IT

Tac3403

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic EX-T sedan 1.5T Cvt
Country flag
Samantha,
Here is my 2 cents on your plan.

A. Do not buy anything that will impede your build quality off of Amazon and certainly not Ebay! By that, I mean, do NOT buy a turbo off of Ebay for $399 or a FMIC from Amazon. You will waste your money!!!!! Go to Forums and go to the bottom. It lists all the reputable sites that sell parts for THIS car.
B. and this is most important.... read through the forums on every answer I have laid out below! Do your own research. Sure, ask questions, but dig first! Personally, I have hundreds of hours in here looking, reading and researching. Then ask questions.

I would just buy a PRL or 27Won system. Fabricating your own will cost you more and yield the exact same outcome but I appreciate your ambition!
DP catless if you want loud noise and/or intend on running a very large turbo. Even then the jury is still out on wether all that is worth it and wether catted/catless yields any real major difference. If you are keeping the stock turbo and keeping the same exhaust dimensions, there is no sense in changing your FP.
Anyone, especially in Floridas climate, will suggest a FMIC. Again, 27Won or PRL are the standard. They both provide the exact parts you need and there is 45 videos on Youtube on how to do this install. ***** Most of us recommend all of these mods being done prior to jumping to a tune but..... more power to you. Again, if you are ambitious and want to fabricate your own, go ahead. Seems like a massive headache and waste of time to reinvent the wheel.
Maybe someone makes a lighter pulley kit? I've never seen one nor read any mention of anyone having it currently. Maybe when we you get to 800 HP or more it makes more sense?? (or 10,000 RPM.)
Well... this changes things a little. A CVT cooler makes sense in your climate YES! If you are serious about taking your car over 350 HP, the CVT transmission will likely give you a migraine first. It just was not desgined for such endeavors. TBT... I do not have a CVT and someone will jump up my ass about how they run 500HP and 45 pounds of boost on their CVT so, have at it!
The rear sway bar is a great bang-for-the-buck mod. The front one is a bitch to replace and some engineers have mentioned that the front is not worth the time and yields little results. The jury is still out on that one. END LINKS are a fantaastic and easy upgrade and should be donw WITH the rear sway bar. The OEM Accord links seem to be the best and cheapest option.
See above!
No idea?!?!?
This is a very compounding question. Make the exterior how YOU want it. Fuck what everyone else does. Do you!

ENJOY IT
You didn't even change the answers when you copied me! what the heck :p