First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't forget to try Advanced VSA if you haven't already. The medium setting is a good place to start.

Also try L for your best 0-60 times.
x2. I've never quantified how much it helps... but it definitely made me go from spinning like mad to the car seemingly to make just enough power for what traction I do have. My summer tires do a pretty good job on hot days where the car is making less power and the rubber is soft. In the winter? I still got a pretty decent amount of wheelspin without advanced VSA.

Whatever you do... you already have a pretty quick car for a FWD... and is probably as fast as my Si w/just my tune until we hit interstate speeds and most of my shifting is done. An intake... intercooler... downpipe... exhaust are just going to give diminishing returns compared to that first ~$500 or so for the Stage 1 tune and the 50 or so whp it gave you. Until you swap out the stock turbo... you're probably looking at relative large sums of money to make pretty small changes at this point after the TSP reflash. $600 for a set of tires that might drop your 0-60 by 1/4-1/2 a second... let you stop better... make your car feel better in high speed cornering... I really just keep beating that drum because I'm a very bang-for-the-buck kind of guy and I think it's the most bang-for-the-buck that's available to you right now. If you didn't have a Ktuner... I'd say Ktuner before tires. The follow-on bolt ons you mentioned just probably aren't going to be noticeable to your butt-dyno. You'd notice tires at least... and feel like the money went somewhere.

Given it's comparative low cost compared to exhaust... I'd say go for some flavor of intake. You'd at least notice the change in intake/turbo noise and it'd make you know you did something. Even the drop-ins (I just have the PRL Stage 1) provide a noticeable rise in "fun sounds". They do add more power and each seller will have a dyno to prove it, but the gains are single digits for the drop-ins... probably barely noticeable on an already 200+ whp car and just cracking the double digits on a real CAI.

Whatever route you go... good luck!
Sponsored

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I replaced my stock tires on my 2017 Hatchback Sport (CVT) with a full set of General G-Max RS tires and boy that made a difference in how my ride felt. My ride felt sportier and quicker. The only things I had done to my car was put in an A&E air filter and use premium gas to get the 180 hp.
Check out tire rack for their recommendations, sometimes you don't need the most expensive tires on the block to make your ride more peppier. I now own a 2020 Hatchback Sport (CVT) and when the time comes I will replace my stock tires with summer tires since I live in Southern California and the weather is not to excitable road wise.
I would have loved to have gotten the COUPE SI but I injured my arms at work and can no longer drive a stick shift. Believe me I know where you are coming from about not knowing how to drive a stick, my very first car was a stick and I had no clue and no one to teach me. I figured it out but it took a bit of time for me to remember to downshift at a stop light so I wouldn't stall out when the light changed to green. And figuring out the brake/gas when on a hill was a definite challenge too. So I am self taught stick driver and I would love to go back to a manual car but my right arm is permanently disabled enough to inhibit my ability to do repetitive motion type stuff. I did test drive a 2019 Coupe SI loved the ride but my arm reminded me why that was not a wise thing to do.:confused::cool:

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hey y’all first time posting after just reading for a while now, bit of an introduction.. I started with a 2.0 N/A Civic EX and was underwhelmed with the drive and mod potential so I started to look elsewhere, would have loved to get into an Si but I can’t drive stick, no friends or family have a manual car and with a 6 day a week work schedule it was hard to find one around and get time to learn, so I ended up just trading in for a 1.5T Coupe Touring with the CVT. Yes Ik all will probably say I was foolish but here I am now. Just curious if I could get some help from the community on where to go from here

I started off getting a Ktuner and TSP Stage 1 Tune

from here I’d like some recommendations and advice on order of which to do and / or products, I’d like to do CAI, Downpipe, Intercooler, and Exhaust

already having the Tune where do y’all recommend I go next and with which products? I’m thinking the PRL Cobra for CAI, on Downpipe would y’all recommend Catted or Catless? I was looking at the RV6 Modular Downpipe recently, and when should I purchase the intercooler? Before or after some of these other mods, ever? and which company maybe? And lastly I figured I’d do an Exhaust, but can’t seem to find any for the Coupes that are made for Non-Si’, anyone know any they could recommend?

I may also look into the 27Won W1 Turbo drop-in in the future if their claims of helping the CVT are true but I still remain skeptical on that, and maybe some opinions on suspension upgrades maybe? Yes or no?

lastly sorry for the long past, Ik it’s a lot just many things I’ve thought to ask and couldn’t easily find with my own google searches or here. Thanks in advance anybody

IMO...if you really want to enjoy driving your car, you MUST learn manual. No other way around it. I might sound like negative Nancy, i don't know understand why people put a ton of money into CVT. CVT is weak af. I have a CVT hatch, i love it for what it is, 38 mpg and ton of space. I'm planning to drive it until it dies.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like all things in life, driving a stick shift has its good points and bad points just as driving a CVT does. Here in LA county driving a stick can get absolutely mind numbing due to the stop and go traffic on the local freeways especially when a trip would normally take 30-40 minutes with no traffic instead it takes you an hour and half to get to work cause some idiot tried to defy the laws of physics with their car. But it can suck a bit of joy from your drive with a CVT when driving quickly on winding, hilly roads, testing your driving limits, ensuring no police are around.
I enjoy my Sport Hatchback (CVT) it is quick and nimble and does all things I would like it to do.
This is my opinion but I think folks nowadays get to hung up on the glory days of the old Camaros and Mustangs in 70's-90's driving balls to walls with a stick.
At one time I had a mid-80's Camaro V-8 with auto and then a Camaro V-6 with stick, I had more fun in the V-6 than I did the V-8 but it was convenient at times not to shift gears.

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe 1.5T Touring
Country flag
Don't forget to try Advanced VSA if you haven't already. The medium setting is a good place to start.

Also try L for your best 0-60 times.
im gonna sound dumb, but all I know is I currently run the TSP Stage 1 Tune and I’m not sure what advanced VSA is or how to use it so if y’all could inform me if I can and how to ?? also question about the tune, I thought I read somewhere that the car should reset to Map 1 each time it restarts but recently it’s always been in Map 3 from start even after an entire shift at work, is this normal or no? Sorry again if I sound clueless ...
for the 0-60 times L for the whole time or shift into S ever at some point?

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I replaced my stock tires on my 2017 Hatchback Sport (CVT) with a full set of General G-Max RS tires and boy that made a difference in how my ride felt. My ride felt sportier and quicker. The only things I had done to my car was put in an A&E air filter and use premium gas to get the 180 hp.
Check out tire rack for their recommendations, sometimes you don't need the most expensive tires on the block to make your ride more peppier. I now own a 2020 Hatchback Sport (CVT) and when the time comes I will replace my stock tires with summer tires since I live in Southern California and the weather is not to excitable road wise.
I would have loved to have gotten the COUPE SI but I injured my arms at work and can no longer drive a stick shift. Believe me I know where you are coming from about not knowing how to drive a stick, my very first car was a stick and I had no clue and no one to teach me. I figured it out but it took a bit of time for me to remember to downshift at a stop light so I wouldn't stall out when the light changed to green. And figuring out the brake/gas when on a hill was a definite challenge too. So I am self taught stick driver and I would love to go back to a manual car but my right arm is permanently disabled enough to inhibit my ability to do repetitive motion type stuff. I did test drive a 2019 Coupe SI loved the ride but my arm reminded me why that was not a wise thing to do.:confused::cool:
I was actually reading up on these tires, seemed decent enough and not badly priced, so you’d say you recommend? Do you remember them having good grip on launch’s and such?

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO...if you really want to enjoy driving your car, you MUST learn manual. No other way around it. I might sound like negative Nancy, i don't know understand why people put a ton of money into CVT. CVT is weak af. I have a CVT hatch, i love it for what it is, 38 mpg and ton of space. I'm planning to drive it until it dies.
would love to be able to learn, know anyone in Florida who could teach me? ??‍♂ ?

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would anyone by chance be able to recommend what I could I do suspension wise if I end up being a real weirdo who would like to try and go around a track and hold corners better? What would I have to look into? If anything goes wrong or fails at any point it is what it is, I’m not too worried about the overall reliability because I only had my 2.0 NA for a year and I don’t expect to own this one but maybe 2 years or so too, I really just want to see what I can get out of this car

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
im gonna sound dumb, but all I know is I currently run the TSP Stage 1 Tune and I’m not sure what advanced VSA is or how to use it so if y’all could inform me if I can and how to ?? also question about the tune, I thought I read somewhere that the car should reset to Map 1 each time it restarts but recently it’s always been in Map 3 from start even after an entire shift at work, is this normal or no? Sorry again if I sound clueless ...
for the 0-60 times L for the whole time or shift into S ever at some point?
That's a bunch of stuff to cover but I'll try.

A-VSA is a great feature that helps you maintain traction so you can put down the power. Here is detailed info directly from KTuner.

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/advanced_vsa.htm

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/advanced_vsa_control_strategy.htm

One other tip. Derek has boost by gear set to 18 psi in first. Change that to 15 psi or so while you are on the crappy stock tires.

L mode is basically more of a true CVT mode. It will hang out around 6,000 rpm the whole time. Because it's not fake shifting, your times should be better. Ideal for a 0-60 run combined with Advanced VSA. I recommend ONLY using it for your timed 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Use D or S for normal driving.

As far as reverting to Map 3 on startup, that would only happen if you kept the KTuner unit plugged in (it reverts to the last used map). If you are like me though and don't keep the KTuner unit plugged in it will always revert to Map 1 on a restart.

Hope this helps.

As far as handling, start with grippier tires and maybe a beefier rear sway bar (a cheap option would be the OEM Si bar). That would be a big handling upgrade to start.

Last edited:
OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

A-VSA is a great feature that helps you maintain traction so you can put down the power. Here is detailed info directly from KTuner.

One other tip. Derek has boost by gear set to 18 psi in first. Change that to 15 psi or so while you are on the crappy stock tires.

L mode is basically more of a true CVT mode. It will hang out around 6,000 rpm the whole time. Because it's not fake shifting, your times should be better. Ideal for a 0-60 run combined with Advanced VSA. I recommend ONLY using it for your timed 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Use D or S for normal driving.

As far as reverting to Map 3 on startup, that would only happen if you kept the KTuner unit plugged in (it reverts to the last used map). If you are like me though and don't keep the KTuner unit plugged in it will always revert to Map 1 on a restart.

Hope this helps.

As far as handling, start with grippier tires and maybe a beefier rear sway bar (a cheap option would be the OEM Si bar). That would be a big handling upgrade to start.
grabbed my laptop out the car and was able to enable the A-VSA and I assume by medium you meant the Moderate selection? I was also able to adjust the BBG to the recommended 15psi as you say just until I get the new tires then I will revert back. I’ll upload the tune once I’m off tonight

also so from what I understand, for 0-60 yes use L the whole time? Ofc I understand don’t drive in it I’ll always use D or S for that. Should I have traction partially off, or in like the test mode completely off btw?

And thanks for the info on the OEM Si sway bar, I’ll look into that, should I also look into doing anything like coilovers or such? or no?

Last edited:

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Hope this helps.

And about the info for the Maps not resetting that makes sense now, I noticed when I didn’t have it plugged in it would reset like you say but since I’ve bought a tablet with its sole purpose to be for Tunerview (I bought a V1.2) I’ve kept it plugged in. Would anyone recommend I Hondahack the Headunit and install Tunerview that way instead? Is it any difficult?

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was actually reading up on these tires, seemed decent enough and not badly priced, so you’d say you recommend? Do you remember them having good grip on launch’s and such?

I would recommend these tires for someone who wants to improve road handling and road feel without breaking the bank, I did a lot of research before selecting these tires and I was very pleased with how my car felt on the road. I freely admit I am a bit of an aggressive driver so it was nice to have tires that gave a better feel to the road. I had those tires about 9 months prior to my trading in the car for the 2020 and I know one of the first things I am gonna do when the tread gets low is to replace the stock tires with those General tires.

There are few you-tube videos out with folks with more performance oriented cars using these tires and they seemed very happy with the results.

OP
OP

hopefulCVTguy

First Name
Rian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would recommend these tires for someone who wants to improve road handling and road feel without breaking the bank, I did a lot of research before selecting these tires and I was very pleased with how my car felt on the road. I freely admit I am a bit of an aggressive driver so it was nice to have tires that gave a better feel to the road. I had those tires about 9 months prior to my trading in the car for the 2020 and I know one of the first things I am gonna do when the tread gets low is to replace the stock tires with those General tires.

There are few you-tube videos out with folks with more performance oriented cars using these tires and they seemed very happy with the results.
Perfect sounds good then! Thank you ?

HILNDAR

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe sold. 2020 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I’m in SoCal with a recent 2020 sport hatch. researched the general g-max Rs tires. Great recommendation.
Sponsored