Help with gas smell in cabin, and dealer service.

Diamond Ned

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Car: 2017 civic sport CVT
PRL Cobra CAI with street MAF
Invidia q300 full exhaust
ktuner preloaded tunes

^ everything above was fine for about 7 months.

So since February anytime I drive at or above 3k RPMs the car smells like gas for a few seconds. I was tuned with the ktuner 21psi preset since I got the car. No issues until this started.

In February I took it to the dealer I bought it from and they told me to go fuck myself basically since I had an exhaust and CAI. And “they couldn’t smell anything”. It’s been flashed to stock since then too.

I am going to a different dealer this week with hopes of being helped. If they tell me the same thing, how should I retort? I’m positive the CAI and exhaust have nothing to do with this issue. They’re just simple and common bolt ons.

The car is a CPO and this should be fixed IMO. I don’t race or launch the car, never even had it above 5500rpms. I don’t abuse this car at all. Just occasional semi-spirited driving while commuting.

If you have any idea how to fix it myself, I’m also down for suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Are you decat? I've been told you can smell fumes when crawling slowly/at idle when you have a straight-pipe, not sure on this myself.

Look for a defective oil breather hose. They vent oil vapours back into the combustion process but if they are cracked/split etc these vapours will be drawn into the cabin. I've had this before. Makes you feel sick when in the car.

Or are you smelling petrol?

OP
OP
Diamond Ned

Diamond Ned

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Are you decat? I've been told you can smell fumes when crawling slowly/at idle when you have a straight-pipe, not sure on this myself.

Look for a defective oil breather hose. They vent oil vapours back into the combustion process but if they are cracked/split etc these vapours will be drawn into the cabin. I've had this before. Makes you feel sick when in the car.

Or are you smelling petrol?
No decat. Nothing touched besides catback exhaust and cai. I am smelling petrol yes.

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Have you checked fuel lines against the bulk head? A small leak would dry quickly in the atmosphere/heated engine bay. It's quite easy to follow your fuel lines around the engine bay and give what you can reach a wiggle-waggle to see if they leak, just don't chop your fingers off getting snagged ina n aux belt. Ask a mate/your lass to rev the engine above 3k whilst you look around the engine?

Unless you've caught a fuel line/bent a pipe when fitting your parts I don't see how it can be related. A garage can pressure-test your fuel system so maybe that's the best approach either way.

OP
OP
Diamond Ned

Diamond Ned

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Have you checked fuel lines against the bulk head? A small leak would dry quickly in the atmosphere/heated engine bay. It's quite easy to follow your fuel lines around the engine bay and give what you can reach a wiggle-waggle to see if they leak, just don't chop your fingers off getting snagged ina n aux belt. Ask a mate/your lass to rev the engine above 3k whilst you look around the engine?

Unless you've caught a fuel line/bent a pipe when fitting your parts I don't see how it can be related. A garage can pressure-test your fuel system so maybe that's the best approach either way.
Thank you. I’ll check it out. I don’t think there’s any way I could have done it fitting a CAI. Had no problems or smell for like 7 months.
Sponsored