HELP!! Stock windshield wipers are pure CRAP!!

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Also a big fan of Rain-x, have been using it forever. I don’t like things moving close to my face, including windshield wipers so I rarely use them, the only times Rain-x doesn’t work well enough on it’s own is a light mist at slow speeds or torrential downpours. If we are going to get any type of frozen precipitation I put it on all the windows, makes clearing snow and ice off them much easier.

I’m still on the original blades, got some OEM inserts that I’ll use when they need replacement.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am going to O’reilleys tomorrow morning to look at some wiper blades. My dad checked them tonight and said they felt dry rotted. I’m debating if I should go with Trico or RainX. I don’t know where I can find Piaa blades at. ??‍♀? other than online.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
If you do decide on new style wiper blades don't throw away your OEM arms. You really can't beat a new set of OEM blades for under $20. I also use Nexgen ceramic spray on all glass inside and out, headlights, taillights and wheels. I'm sure any spray on ceramic will work. Makes the next wash so much easier.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you do decide on new style wiper blades don't throw away your OEM arms. You really can't beat a new set of OEM blades for under $20. I also use Nexgen ceramic spray on all glass inside and out, headlights, taillights and wheels. I'm sure any spray on ceramic will work. Makes the next wash so much easier.
Yes. I replaced my windshield wipers this last weekend and asked the guy if I could keep my original stock ones. So I have those.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had my stock ones on since I got this car, in 2017. And I would go with stock again when I need them since the rubber inserts are stupid cheap. $4.89 and $5.30 from hondaautomotiveparts.com

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The local dealer here gouges the inserts at $26 for the set. I just set price watches on Amazon and buy Bosch Icons when they drop below $15 each.

OP
OP
Jens_sedanEX18

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ended up buying the Bosch icons and they are holding up pretty well. I’m satisfied because it did cost me $46 total but I didn’t want to spend more $$ on higher end if my car isn’t garage kept and the Florida sun takes a beating on my car so ??‍♀ Lol

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I’m still on my original wipers from the time bought the car in 2017. They still work well. I probably have to replace them because this Texas freeze probably damaged them. I clean them about every 2 weeks and refill my rainx fluids every 3 weeks. I spray my windshield multiple times everyday. What sort of washer fluid do you use? Using crappy windshield cleaner degrades the wipers. Not using them enough also degrades them. Or maybe my windshield has so any layers of wax that it’s protecting the wipers scraping my glass
You may be extending their life with the rainx keeping them soft. The sun will damage too, but that rainx might have some UV protection properties. It’s not so much the freezing as it is extreme temperature swings that will damage them. Silicone blades will offer you the longest life. It’s worth the extra money that they cost.

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
I think I'm gonna splurge and finally get the PIAA Si-Techs this spring, after hearing so many good things about them. They're pricey, so I hope they're worth it. Definitely going to clay my windshield this spring, too.

My stock wipers went to crap during this winter. They wipe upward mostly fine and clear, but the downstroke leaves a smear that of course has to be directly in my line of sight while I'm driving.

I tried Bosch Icons on my last vehicle, and while they were amazing during the warmer months for me, they also went bad fairly quickly during the winter season. And I like to think I take care of them, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong.
Sponsored