HELP!! Stock windshield wipers are pure CRAP!!

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In defense of the Texans, Texas is going through a once in a decade or two situation. The deep south does not get this kind of weather very often, and it can be devastating when it happens. The entire power grid took a shit, which is another debate for a different day. You guys are used to tundra-type weather, the south is not.
i know, of course we can see on TV the houses, power-lines etc. everything is WAY different from how we do things here...and what's happening over there is catastrophic.

Sorry if my post felt devoid of any compassion...

it's just last night i came across a few videos online where they burn snowballs and are convinced it's plastic, have you seen those? :) i just tought it was very funny.
Sponsored

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks. But my issues I’m having is the wipers are not clearing my windshield off properly and when it’s raining hard it’s even worse. But I’ll give it a try.
Here man, IF properly degreasing your blades and cleaning up your windshield still doesn't work...we recommend you start here, get their 2in1 glass cleaner/water repelant and a fresh set of their silicone blades, we believe they are the best in the market.

https://www.rainx.com/

EDIT: I use this one personally, also excellent product:
https://silverwax.ca/en/auto/water-beading-glass-treatment/?loadMore=40

If you put that on your windshield about once a month/month and a half, you don't even need wipers anymore for summer driving, water will fly right off at 30mph.

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I've been rocking PIAA si tech for a year and a half now
I can vouch for the PIAA silicone blades. Had a set on my old WRX for 5 years through PA heat and cold and they were still doing a decent job when I sold the car. I'd wipe them down from time to time when cleaning my windshield and I'd also flip the inserts end for end. Once my OEM blades need replaced, I'll be going with PIAA's again.

danfg2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The stock ones are so trash. I have a 2019 and live in California where it doesn't rain a lot and on my way to work this morning it was raining and the wipers were just horrible.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
No one replied with this yet? C'mon guys....
That's helpful but unfortunately it's not a review of long term performance, which is important to me. I'm not going to pay $20/blade if I'm not getting a few years out of them.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
That's more helpful, thanks. Although I'm still not sure that just having the blades sit in the sun for a year is the greatest for reproducing real world conditions.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't had the performance with Bosch his testing would suggest. I've had better luck with both Trico and PIAA

Ymmv

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
had a pair of piaa ones on my scion. the fitment was a bit off. the driver side left end of the blade didn't sit flat. the passenger side right end wouldn't sit flat either and would rattle at freeway speeds.

I am intrigued by those spoon ones though lol

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
i know, of course we can see on TV the houses, power-lines etc. everything is WAY different from how we do things here...and what's happening over there is catastrophic.

Sorry if my post felt devoid of any compassion...

it's just last night i came across a few videos online where they burn snowballs and are convinced it's plastic, have you seen those? :) i just tought it was very funny.
I have not seen those videos. But I know that people are suffering and literally freezing to death in their homes, or dying trying any means necessary to not freeze to death. I have some contacts that have been without power, heat, and water for days. A lot of homes are total losses from frozen pipes bursting. We are just not prepared for that kind of weather here in the southern states because it happens so infrequently.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been a fan of the MIchelin wiper blades for years.

I swap mine each Spring and Fall. I'm sure that they would last longer, but I've just always changed them on this schedule.

RufflesSCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
I recommend buying Aquapel and applying it to the windshield. I put it on my windshield of my old Subaru Impreza and I used the same wipers for over 7 years before I decided to change them out. The wipers were still good but the reason I changed them was because they were the conventional frame-styled wipers, would would get ice build-up during winter driving.

Aquapel was one of the first things I did when I got my civic and I haven't had any issues with the oem wipers.

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
The stock ones are fine. If you're experiencing issues it comes down to two things:
1. The wiper inserts are dirty or worn. Like the other people said, I clean the inserts every time I clean the windshield.
2. Your windshield isn't as clean as you think. This is REALLY important. Sometimes your windshield can appear clean when it's dry but actually has a layer of deposits on it. This layer is stuck to the glass, no wiper will clean it and even washing it with a car wash mitt and soap won't. Those mineral deposits only appear when it gets wet and the wiper wipes over it, the water adheres to the deposits and it will look greasy and sometimes have patterns that look like dried water spots.

For years I've had crystal clear glass while driving with wipers on, the stock wipers literally wipe the entire windshield bone dry in one pass. I do the following regimen:
1. To address the deposits, I use a glass polish to make sure the windshield has nothing attached to it down to the microscopic level. The polish consists of a soap paste that contains a mild abrasive like aluminum oxide. The one I use most is "Rain-X xtreme clean", which essentially strips the glass of any stains and deposits. It's so good at stripping glass it even strips Rain-x off. You can use this paste by hand or by machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-5080217-Windshield-Treatment-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B001S7ZT5A

This quote describes it to a T:
  • Heavy-duty glass cleaner gently strips away heavy residue, dirt, bugs, film and road grime from windshields and glass
2. Some people skim a wet razor blade up and down to strip it instead of a paste, but it's more likely to scratch the glass especially if some dust or sand gets caught between the edge and the glass. It's not as fine as the paste is so it doesn't clean as well or remove Rain-x for that matter.
3. Use Rain-x on fresh glass after glass polish to prevent new deposits from forming.

After doing this regimen once, I only have to re-apply the Rain-x every 3 months or so, the xtreme clean is good for a year or more. Once I do this, I never experience those hidden deposits appearing on a rainy day ever again, for that car.

As far as I'm concerned if you're not using a dedicated glass polish/cleaner like xtreme clean when washing your car, you're not cleaning the glass and the glass isn't clean.

Last edited:

bigdogpapa

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Fit Ex-L CVT , 2019 Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I recommend buying Aquapel and applying it to the windshield. I put it on my windshield of my old Subaru Impreza and I used the same wipers for over 7 years before I decided to change them out. The wipers were still good but the reason I changed them was because they were the conventional frame-styled wipers, would would get ice build-up during winter driving.

Aquapel was one of the first things I did when I got my civic and I haven't had any issues with the oem wipers.
I agree, Aquapel is the way to go. I apply it about every two to three years and I almost never need to use my windshield wipers. Surface prep is crucial before application.
Sponsored