Help Please! For those who have installed the AFE CAI

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Hi folks,

Before I go diving into this, I have a couple of questions for those that have done this install:

*tamper-proof hose clamps are a brand new thing for me. wondering what tool did you use to break off the crank case line clamp? don't want to damage the rubber casing on the inlet. The two on the purge jet are obviously no problem.

*the instructions say "with an upward motion, pull off the crank case line". My concern there is unlike the two purge jet lines, that is a hard line. Not sure I can really pull up on it to remove after I figure out how to get the clamp off.

thanks!

Jeff
Sponsored

OP
OP

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
hmmmm....maybe you didn't have a tamper-proof hose clamp installed? This hose is NOT coming out until that clamp is removed. No amount of lifting is going to get it off. Bummer...

Can't figure out how to cut off a tamper proof hose clamp that has a really tight grip on the hose.

OP
OP

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
mine was the tamper proof one but it came right off. At first i was going to use a dremel but i pulled it off with little effort
Your CTR must have been made on a Friday when the robot riveters were getting a little lazy!.....Dremel is a good idea. I have about 3 sets of those lying around. Thanks Andrew.

2018ChampwhiteCTR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic type r; 2014 Honda Pilot; 2001 Honda prelude
Country flag
mine was the tamper proof one but it came right off. At first i was going to use a dremel but i pulled it off with little effort
Same. Friend and I just kept pulling till it came free.

OP
OP

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Same. Friend and I just kept pulling till it came free.
I actually disconnected the air tube on each end, then actually pulled it downward to get the crank case tube to pop out. That was the only difficult part of this install...I was extremely impressed with the fitment of the AFE product....

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
The easiest way is to spray a touch of WD40 where the tube and inlet are located, let soak for 5 minutes, then pop it right off. It's super easy.

OP
OP

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It just a a vise grip and it twisted right off...
IMG_1819.jpg
I took the surgical route :) put a cutting wheel on my Dremel and cut the strap off. didn't even make a mark on the rubber housing.....I missed my calling...

I just wanted to be careful as i was taken aback with this tamper-resistant host strap thing, I wanted to get some advice. I changed out the CAI's in my truck and Z06 and neither had them.....something new every day...

Last edited:
OP
OP

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The easiest way is to spray a touch of WD40 where the tube and inlet are located, let soak for 5 minutes, then pop it right off. It's super easy.
It's crazy i tell you. tried the WD40 route....also got a small screwdriver as well and rotated in around the rigid hose and rubber housing to loosen up the rubber to metal (or aluminum?) contact. Maybe my CTR is special (?!), but that crank case hose (more like a pipe) did not want to pull upward. It's very rigid and does not want to move up and down hardly at all.

After using my method I mentioned above, and got it out, that pipe only moves up and down about half and inch even when it is hanging free.....I was afraid if I forced it upward per the installation directions, it would break off. I know, it sounds a little nuts....

Thanks everyone for the pointers....

Last edited:

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Not sure we can really call it a tamper proof clamp. I thought it was a specific clamp design that the head breaks off when it reaches a certain torque. Thought someone mentioned its specific name on here previously.
Sponsored