Help on changing engine filter

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One really important note (off the subject of the Metric System ;))...

When you tighten up the bolts, go easy on them. Even just a bit too much torque and the bolt head will twist right off. Trust me on this.

I just finger tighten them and maybe a 1/2 turn after that.
No. Just no. Either you had a defective bolt, or you overtorqued them. The fact that you made such a ridiculous statement like that means no one should trust you on anything you say. You should never "go easy on them." That is a recipe for disaster. You SHOULD tighten them to their specified torque settings. Do us all a favour and leave wrenching to those that know what they are doing.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
No. Just no. Either you had a defective bolt, or you overtorqued them. The fact that you made such a ridiculous statement like that means no one should trust you on anything you say. You should never "go easy on them." That is a recipe for disaster. You SHOULD tighten them to their specified torque settings. Do us all a favour and leave wrenching to those that know what they are doing.
I did over-torque them the first time and the result was what I stated. Just throwing out a heads up to the OP to not overdo the tightening too much. It's a freaking airbox lid man. It just needs to be tightened moderately. Few folks changing their air filter are torquing those lid bolts to exact spec. I've had no major issues working on cars since the early 1970's. For you to say no one should listen to anything I say is a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Using a phillips head screwdriver is a good way of stripping the fastener. It is not a phillips head, it is a JIS P2 head. If you don't have a compatible screwdriver, you are better off using a hex socket.
Interesting because the bolts in my engine filter housing have a phillips head indent in the top and that's what I just used last week to replace the filter. Maybe you have different bolts in your engine filter housing.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting because the bolts in my engine filter housing have a phillips head indent in the top and that's what I just used last week to replace the filter. Maybe you have different bolts in your engine filter housing.
Actually JIS is correct. It is easily missed by most people because they look very similar. I will admit I did not know it myself for quite some time but once I found out I picked up a set of JIS screwdrivers. Here is an article that may be helpful:

https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anything/difference-between-japanese-jis-phillips.html

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually JIS is correct. It is easily missed by most people because they look very similar. I will admit I did not know it myself for quite some time but once I found out I picked up a set of JIS screwdrivers. Here is an article that may be helpful:

https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-anything/difference-between-japanese-jis-phillips.html
That's just it. I think the average guy or even shadetree mechanic isn't aware they are JIS. This is my first Honda since 1994 and my other cars since actually just used clips for the airbox lid. So the first time I changed my filter it was a comedy of errors. First, I stripped a couple screws heads using a Phillips (these bolts are soft), then I switched to a socket and over-torqued the bolts a bit and broke another one. Then I bought some JIS screwdrivers (and new bolts lol) and have been golden since. Live and learn.

Some fun reading for everybody:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/what-sadistic-psycho-designed-the-1-5-turbos-engine-bay.15594/

Last edited:

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the JIS screwdriver information.

I've been working on cars for let's just say a long time & never came across these. Or maybe was lucky that a Phillips screwdriver just happen to work. Probably never bought any because it doesn't appear Craftsman makes them.

Guess it's time to add to my tool collection. Any recommendations on a good brand to get?
Thanks.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for the JIS screwdriver information.

I've been working on cars for let's just say a long time & never came across these. Or maybe was lucky that a Phillips screwdriver just happen to work. Probably never bought any because it doesn't appear Craftsman makes them.

Guess it's time to add to my tool collection. Any recommendations on a good brand to get?
Thanks.
Since we don't use these all that much I bought this basic set. They've worked well and the price is right. Includes JIS 1, 2, 3 plus PoziDriv 2, 3, and a 6mm flat. https://www.amazon.com/Bessel-Vessel-Difference-Screwdrivers-No-220w-3/dp/B00E55DL4I

Honda Civic 10th gen Help on changing engine filter 71NDtm7erUL._AC_SL1500_

Last edited:
OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Uh, no. Metric is the metric system. Seriously, don't you guys learn about this? It is what the whole world uses, except for a few countries.
Distance is measured in metres. The metric system uses prefixes to divide the base units into smaller or larger untis of measure. So a millimetre is 1/1000 of a metre. One inch is roughly 25.4 mm.

While you can find a close approximation in an imperial socket, you really should be using metric sockets when working on this car.
We barely learn about the metric system in the US lol... At least where I grew up in California/Georgia

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Metric is just that the Metric System of measurements, in this case it uses Millimeters, IE 10mm, 11mm, 14mm, 17mm where Standard is in Inches or fractions of of inches, there are 25.4mm in 1 inch so for example a 13mm socket would be slightly larger then a 1/2" socket and a 12mm socket would be slightly smaller then a 1/2" socket. Metric is far simplier to use because if say a 12mm is just to small then you go to a 13mm, where if a 1/2" is to small then the next step up is a 9/16" so with standard tools you have to sit there and think for a second what is the next largest socket from the one I have when the one you have is just a little to small.

Cars can often be mixed between standard and metric bolts, heck on one of my cars the top nut on the shock was metric and the bottom bolt was standard.

The important thing to note, if someone tells you you can use EITHER a metric or a standard they are simply WRONG, there is no point at which they overlap and using one that is too loose can potentially result in rounding off the bolt head.
Thanks for the explanation!

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One really important note (off the subject of the Metric System ;))...

When you tighten up the bolts, go easy on them. Even just a bit too much torque and the bolt head will twist right off. Trust me on this.

I just finger tighten them and maybe a 1/2 turn after that.
Thanks for the great advice!

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We barely learn about the metric system in the US lol... At least where I grew up in California/Georgia
It’s sad that the metric system is not taught more than it is. My job requires me to use mostly metric because it’s more of an industry standard.
Unfortunately, the main thing Americans use the metic system for, is to weigh out drugs.

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s sad that the metric system is not taught more than it is. My job requires me to use mostly metric because it’s more of an industry standard.
Unfortunately, the main thing Americans use the metic system for, is to weigh out drugs.
Yeah the metric system is so much easier, not this 12 inches = one foot bullshit lol

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah the metric system is so much easier, not this 12 inches = one foot bullshit lol
Ya, this is good info for learning how to do some maintenance on these cars.

If you invest in a tool set, choose the Metric version vice the SAE version. You’ll see this labeling on every tool. With a small Metric tool set, you’ll be able to do most basic maintenance on this car. Typically, foreign cars (not sure about the late model Jaguars or other English and some American cars) are designed around the metric system.

Hopefully this clarified some confusion with regard to choosing the right tools for the job.

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ya, this is good info for learning how to do some maintenance on these cars.

If you invest in a tool set, choose the Metric version vice the SAE version. You’ll see this labeling on every tool. With a small Metric tool set, you’ll be able to do most basic maintenance on this car. Typically, foreign cars (not sure about the late model Jaguars or other English and some American cars) are designed around the metric system.

Hopefully this clarified some confusion with regard to choosing the right tools for the job.
I just used the 8mm socket and it worked! The set I bought from Walmart was like 11 bucks and it has a lot of sizes and also has a screwdriver with different size Phillips heads
Sponsored