daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
What size socket do I need to use? I bought a kit with like 50 pcs at Walmart for 12 bucks. I searched on YouTube and found one video of a guy, and he said 5/16th. Is that right?
Sponsored

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
What size socket do I need to use? I bought a kit with like 50 pcs at Walmart for 12 bucks. I searched on YouTube and found one video of a guy, and he said 5/16th. Is that right?
Looks like you can use either an 8mm or 5/16 socket.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The air filter? You can use a phillips head screwdriver or the socket.

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
This car uses metric fasteners.
What do you mean by metric fasteners? Sorry, I don't know anything about tools lol. The YouTube video I watched, the guy used a socket

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Metric is whole numbers, not fractions. So in this case it would be 8mm.
Uh, no. Metric is the metric system. Seriously, don't you guys learn about this? It is what the whole world uses, except for a few countries.
Distance is measured in metres. The metric system uses prefixes to divide the base units into smaller or larger untis of measure. So a millimetre is 1/1000 of a metre. One inch is roughly 25.4 mm.

While you can find a close approximation in an imperial socket, you really should be using metric sockets when working on this car.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The air filter? You can use a phillips head screwdriver or the socket.
Using a phillips head screwdriver is a good way of stripping the fastener. It is not a phillips head, it is a JIS P2 head. If you don't have a compatible screwdriver, you are better off using a hex socket.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Metric is just that the Metric System of measurements, in this case it uses Millimeters, IE 10mm, 11mm, 14mm, 17mm where Standard is in Inches or fractions of of inches, there are 25.4mm in 1 inch so for example a 13mm socket would be slightly larger then a 1/2" socket and a 12mm socket would be slightly smaller then a 1/2" socket. Metric is far simplier to use because if say a 12mm is just to small then you go to a 13mm, where if a 1/2" is to small then the next step up is a 9/16" so with standard tools you have to sit there and think for a second what is the next largest socket from the one I have when the one you have is just a little to small.

Cars can often be mixed between standard and metric bolts, heck on one of my cars the top nut on the shock was metric and the bottom bolt was standard.

The important thing to note, if someone tells you you can use EITHER a metric or a standard they are simply WRONG, there is no point at which they overlap and using one that is too loose can potentially result in rounding off the bolt head.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
The important thing to note, if someone tells you you can use EITHER a metric or a standard they are simply WRONG, there is no point at which they overlap and using one that is too loose can potentially result in rounding off the bolt head.
Yeah, I agree with that last part. There is no such thing as "approximating" the size of a nut, bolt, or even a screwhead. It either is or is not a given size.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
One really important note (off the subject of the Metric System ;))...

When you tighten up the bolts, go easy on them. Even just a bit too much torque and the bolt head will twist right off. Trust me on this.

I just finger tighten them and maybe a 1/2 turn after that.
Sponsored