Help needed to get sunroof working in Type R (I know, sounds nuts..)

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I did measure it ref to ground previously, but was using a bolt I could see and not the ground wire from the connector. (Which probably ends up the same)
I now have power tied in from the fuse box and confident that both GREEN and GND are good.

So this is what I got, doesn't make sense to me but..

Cyan - 12v with no buttons pressed, goes down to 0v when pressing close button.
Pink - 0v with no buttons pressed, close button gives me 8v and auto 0.5v
Red - 0v with no buttons pressed, Auto gives me 8v
Brown - 0v with no buttons pressed, close gives me 8v, auto gives me 0.5v
That's so messed up. Disconnect the switch assembly connector, the 12 pin connector you showed in your first post, and measure the voltages on those four wires again? Do they all have 12V?
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And are you sure you're making a good probe connection when you get those 0V readings? For the Pink wire, you should only test the TILT switch (I think press up on the back of the switch but not 100% sure since I'm no in my car)

And do you hear the motor whirling when you press any switch?

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch Type R
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And are you sure you're making a good probe connection when you get those 0V readings? For the Pink wire, you should only test the TILT switch (I think press up on the back of the switch but not 100% sure since I'm no in my car)

And do you hear the motor whirling when you press any switch?
Should be a secure connection, I have a short piece of wire that i'm sticking into the connector and have the probe from the voltmeter at the other end of the wire.
Unplugged the 12 pin connector from the switch. Only the Cyan wire had 12v.
When probing the pink wire and pressing the TILT switch, voltage wouldn't move, stayed at 0v.
No sound at all coming from the motor, doesn't even sound like it is trying to move.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Should be a secure connection, I have a short piece of wire that i'm sticking into the connector and have the probe from the voltmeter at the other end of the wire.
Unplugged the 12 pin connector from the switch. Only the Cyan wire had 12v.
When probing the pink wire and pressing the TILT switch, voltage wouldn't move, stayed at 0v.
No sound at all coming from the motor, doesn't even sound like it is trying to move.
If all the wiring have not been modified and you're seeing 0V in some of the switch wires, then the wire is either not connected to the motor control or shorted to ground. But then you're also seeing 8V when some of the switches are pressed so that sorta indicate something is drawing current and loading down the voltage when some switch is pressed. I think you should not drive with the GRN wire powered then. I think either the motor unit is fried or there's something seriously wrong with your wiring. Also can you measure the GRN voltage when the CLOSE button is pressed?

Can you get to the part label on the what we assumed is the connector of the sub-sunroof harness? From the ebay link below, the label should be very close to the connector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-HONDA...463013?hash=item4455ee6565:g:0ysAAOSw4i5eXoe1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17-18-HOND...=333239687220b4ba886af659479dba47aedfb721b3f1

Last edited:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Of course, one unknown is the LIN Bus. Could a missing LIN Bus, or a loose ground connection to the motor control, cause the voltages you're seeing? I don't know.

The LIN Bus (WHT) wire connects to the driver and passenger power window switch 37-pin connector. Pin 36 driver side and Pin 34 on passenger side. The entire body of the car (sunroof, power windows) was a sport Hatch correct? If so, then you would think the LIN Bus should be connected.

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Of course, one unknown is the LIN Bus. Could a missing LIN Bus, or a loose ground connection to the motor control, cause the voltages you're seeing? I don't know.

The LIN Bus (WHT) wire connects to the driver and passenger power window switch 37-pin connector. Pin 36 driver side and Pin 34 on passenger side. The entire body of the car (sunroof, power windows) was a sport Hatch correct? If so, then you would think the LIN Bus should be connected.
I do not drive with the GRN wire plugged in, I unplug it from the fuse box once I am done testing.
Voltage didnt change or drop on the green wire when trying open/close the sunroof.

The body of the car is a hatch yes, but I believe the doors are from the Type R..

I took a picture of the wiring and sunroof motor, but doesnt appear to have the same sticker with part number as the ebay listings you have there.

Honda Civic 10th gen Help needed to get sunroof working in Type R (I know, sounds nuts..) 20200727_222347

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do not drive with the GRN wire plugged in, I unplug it from the fuse box once I am done testing.
Voltage didnt change or drop on the green wire when trying open/close the sunroof.

The body of the car is a hatch yes, but I believe the doors are from the Type R..

I took a picture of the wiring and sunroof motor, but doesnt appear to have the same sticker with part number as the ebay listings you have there.

20200727_222347.jpg
But it def goes to the motor though? If so, then it's probably the same harness. I checked the motor and the sub-sunroof harness between the sport canada and the 4 dr Si US and they're the same. So if you think there's reason to need to verify for sure, then you need to get to the motor and check the part number and match wire colors to the pins.

Anyhow, I drew a block diagram of the entire system including switches, power, LIN, and motor-control-unit. Ignore the labels inside the box. The pin numbers are the pin number on the motor unit connector (not on C143). CLOSE is the 1st position forward. OPEN is first position backward. AUTO is the 2nd position (hard press) forward and 2nd position (hard press) backward. In the 2nd position backward, both OPEN and AUTO will be shorted to ground. In the 2nd position forward, both CLOSE and AUTO will be shorted to ground. TILT is up on the back of the switch.

If you have reason to believe that the roof harness might be at fault and want to totally isolate the motor-control-unit wiring, then disconnect C143 and what you have on the sub-roof harness connector is only the Motor-Control-Unit box in the diagram. Then you can, if you can safely access the pins, feed in V+, GND, and measure the voltages on pins 7, 8, 9, and 14 (BRN, PNK, LT-GRN, and RED) and if they're the same as when C143 was connected, then you probably have a bad motor-control-unit, a bad connection to the unit, or it needs the LIN Bus (the motor unit might indeed require a signal on the LIN before it operates, however, I don't think the weir voltages can be explained by the absence of LIN but I could be wrong). If you see 12V on all 4 pins, then if you connect only one pin (I wouldn't play with the AUTO pin since it requires shorting two pins to GND together) at a time to GND, then the motor should move if the LIN Bus is not required. It's probably safer to try this on a junkyard motor unit. Obviously, always fuse power lines.

Honda Civic 10th gen Help needed to get sunroof working in Type R (I know, sounds nuts..) 1595909780041

Last edited:
OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But it def goes to the motor though? If so, then it's probably the same harness. I checked the motor and the sub-sunroof harness between the sport canada and the 4 dr Si US and they're the same. So if you think there's reason to need to verify for sure, then you need to get to the motor and check the part number and match wire colors to the pins.

Anyhow, I drew a block diagram of the entire system including switches, power, LIN, and motor-control-unit. Ignore the labels inside the box. The pin numbers are the pin number on the motor unit connector (not on C143). CLOSE is the 1st position forward. OPEN is first position backward. AUTO is the 2nd position (hard press) forward and 2nd position (hard press) backward. In the 2nd position backward, both OPEN and AUTO will be shorted to ground. In the 2nd position forward, both CLOSE and AUTO will be shorted to ground. TILT is up on the back of the switch.

If you have reason to believe that the roof harness might be at fault and want to totally isolate the motor-control-unit wiring, then disconnect C143 and what you have on the sub-roof harness connector is only the Motor-Control-Unit box in the diagram. Then you can, if you can safely access the pins, feed in V+, GND, and measure the voltages on pins 7, 8, 9, and 14 (BRN, PNK, LT-GRN, and RED) and if they're the same as when C143 was connected, then you probably have a bad motor-control-unit, a bad connection to the unit, or it needs the LIN Bus (the motor unit might indeed require a signal on the LIN before it operates, however, I don't think the weir voltages can be explained by the absence of LIN but I could be wrong). If you see 12V on all 4 pins, then if you connect only one pin (I wouldn't play with the AUTO pin since it requires shorting two pins to GND together) at a time to GND, then the motor should move if the LIN Bus is not required. It's probably safer to try this on a junkyard motor unit. Obviously, always fuse power lines.

1595909780041.png
Yes, the wires definitely go towards the sunroof motor..
I want to say again how much I appreciate you helping out with this.. You have no idea!
At this point I feel like i'm at a loss.. probably going to forget about making this work :(
I might look around local junk yards for a motor unit and go from there like you suggested.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, the wires definitely go towards the sunroof motor..
I want to say again how much I appreciate you helping out with this.. You have no idea!
At this point I feel like i'm at a loss.. probably going to forget about making this work :(
I might look around local junk yards for a motor unit and go from there like you suggested.
Yeah you are stuck until you get more detail knowledge of exactly what the motor needs to operate. Good luck.

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah you are stuck until you get more detail knowledge of exactly what the motor needs to operate. Good luck.
Just found this in a service manual..
Looks like that white wire would be needed to make it work properly.
Seems like it goes to the power window motor.

Honda Civic 10th gen Help needed to get sunroof working in Type R (I know, sounds nuts..) moonroofdiagram

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe my next step will be to follow the white LIN BUS wire.

Honda Civic 10th gen Help needed to get sunroof working in Type R (I know, sounds nuts..) moonroofdiagram2

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe my next step will be to follow the white LIN BUS wire.

moonroofdiagram2.png
It's totally possible for Honda to design the Motor Control CPU and switches to be powered from the LIN Bus while the GRN wire powers only the motor. However, the PNK switch has power and the other three don't so what's up with that?

The LIN Bus carries the remote open/close commands. Can you open and close the windows using the key fob? I guess if you hook up the LIN Bus to the Window Master Switch LIN Bus and you still can open/close the windows using the key fob, then you didn't blow the LIN Bus. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's totally possible for Honda to design the Motor Control CPU and switches to be powered from the LIN Bus while the GRN wire powers only the motor. However, the PNK switch has power and the other three don't so what's up with that?

The LIN Bus carries the remote open/close commands. Can you open and close the windows using the key fob? I guess if you hook up the LIN Bus to the Window Master Switch LIN Bus and you still can open/close the windows using the key fob, then you didn't blow the LIN Bus. :)
that's what I was thinking about trying..
And yes I can double press lock button on keyfob and all 4 windows roll down.

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Checked for continuity between terminal No. 34 and moonroof motor-control unit 14P connector terminal No. 12: There is NO continuity
Check for continuity between terminal No. 34 and power window master switch 37P connector terminal No. 36: There is continuity.
Check for continuity to ground: There is no continuity

If I understand correctly, seems like my problem is between the 14P connector #12 and passenger side 37p connector #34..

Last edited: