Help needed to get sunroof working in Type R (I know, sounds nuts..)

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch Type R
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you might be a little confused by the title but yes.. you read that right!

I recently bought a 2018 Civic Type R that has the sport hatch sunroof but isn't quite wired up or working.
I am looking for someone that would have a little knowledge on how the sunroof works and receives power.

Found a wiring diagram on this forum, could it just be a matter of getting power to these wires?

Honda Civic 10th gen Help needed to get sunroof working in Type R (I know, sounds nuts..) sunroof2
Honda Civic 10th gen Help needed to get sunroof working in Type R (I know, sounds nuts..) sunroof1
Honda Civic 10th gen Help needed to get sunroof working in Type R (I know, sounds nuts..) Moonroof

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I would check your fuses before messing with wiring diagrams. If the fuses are good then get a multimeter and see the voltage across the harness behind the switch.

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would check your fuses before messing with wiring diagrams. If the fuses are good then get a multimeter and see the voltage across the harness behind the switch.
Type R doesn't come with a sunroof so it doesn't have a sunroof fuse in the panel..
Basically that is what i'm trying to do, I am more than capable of running a fused power cable to where ever needs power, just need to find out where.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately I have no help to offer, but I am extremely interested as one of the reasons I went with ST over CTR is the sunroof. Plan on getting a Type R as well if I can pay this off soon enough, and it would be dope to do the sunroof. Is it nicely done or kinda hackey???

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately I have no help to offer, but I am extremely interested as one of the reasons I went with ST over CTR is the sunroof. Plan on getting a Type R as well if I can pay this off soon enough, and it would be dope to do the sunroof. Is it nicely done or kinda hackey???
Sunroof is perfect, its the entire roof from a sport hatch so its OEM factory.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is that wire harness directly attached to the sunroof switch? By reading the other wires seems like a general harness for the surrounding areas near the switch

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is that wire harness directly attached to the sunroof switch? By reading the other wires seems like a general harness for the surrounding areas near the switch
The diagram I have attached seems to be the one for the sunroof switch and interior lights yes.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The diagram I have attached seems to be the one for the sunroof switch and interior lights yes.
I would pop out the whole little roof assembly in that area to get to the back of the switch. Because that is a general harness for the roof you’ll need to see If there’s another direct harness that goes from that to the sunroof switch or how those wires are further ran from the roof harness to the switch.. if that makes sense

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would pop out the whole little roof assembly in that area to get to the back of the switch. Because that is a general harness for the roof you’ll need to see If there’s another direct harness that goes from that to the sunroof switch or how those wires are further ran from the roof harness to the switch.. if that makes sense
That does make sense, i'll probably have to follow those 4 sunroof wires to see where they go to.
Probably my best bet.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That does make sense, i'll probably have to follow those 4 sunroof wires to see where they go to.
Probably my best bet.
But if it’s like any other motor it’s usually positive opens, ground closes, and positive on a separate relay tilts or half voltage tilts, and positive for the bulb to illuminate

OP
OP
blacklightning.fk8

blacklightning.fk8

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But if it’s like any other motor it’s usually positive opens, ground closes, and positive on a separate relay tilts or half voltage tilts, and positive for the bulb to illuminate
That's what I was thinking, even if I could only get it to open and close for now, I could live without the tilt until I figure more out.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
More like parts from a Type R put into a sport hatch
Oh, so the car is a sport hatch? It's not a type r?
Still don't understand why you'd cut the roof off when you could've just bought a hatch that came with a factory sunroof.
Sponsored