Help | Need advice on wheel and tire purchase

Gforce81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Hello fellow enthusiasts -

I am close to pulling the trigger on a set of 2 piece forged BC Wheels. I am looking to go 18" and am considering 18 X 9.5. I've been researching constantly and am still hung up a bit on the impact of offset and whether I would need to lower the car with springs to meet my goals.

My goals:
  • I want the wheel to sit flush with the car (more outward)
  • I do not want to deal with any rubbing nor would strongly prefer to have to do any cutting/modifications. Note: I regularly have 4 people (family) in the car...
  • I want a size that will have plenty of tire options at a more affordable cost than OEM
  • I'd love to have more traction than OEM - currently I am spinning in 3rd gear with existing mods
Questions:

• Assuming I went with 20 X 9.5, what offset should I be looking at? +38, +40 or something higher?
  • With that size wheel, what's the impact of going with a 255 vs. 265 size tire?
  • I am debating between the Firehawk Indy 500 and Michelin PS4S...which would have better grip?
My current thought is to go with a 18X9.5 +40 with a 265 X 35 Michelin. I don't know how to calculate total diameter but I believe this would be slightly shorter than OEM although the wheel would be pushed out, therefore I'd have less clearance. As such, not sure if this would not rub and look well with stock height, or could be lowered to look even better without rubbing.

Any thoughts or advice sure would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Ismael Lafluer

Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
stock height on 20s you probably wouldn’t rub depending on which tire you get. Even pushing the tire out I believe you would rub with anything more than a 30 profile tire. (just my guestimation, there are people and plenty of info on this form to fish from) Keep in mind some tire brands run wider than others, lowering on 20s with with such an aggressive fitment would definitely rub.
However, on 18x9.5 lowered you will get slight rubbing lowered, depending on which spring and tire brand you go with.
I was running a yokohama Advan AD80R on 18x10 41mm offset and I rubbed on any dips and it got worse when I got an alignment. I have camber arms, but alignment shop didn’t recommend setting them so aggressively unless I had front camber plates to adjust the front as well.
I do believe if you get something like 18x9.5 or 18x9 with an offset 45 or higher on a 255/35 tire you’d be okay. Maybe even a 265 would work with a higher offset

Ismael Lafluer

Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
check out how much more aggressive this is compared to original set up
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=35&wheel_size=20&wheel_width=9-5&offset2=40
Best thing you can do is go test out your desired size and offset here then see whats next for you. Especially after saying you will be riding with 4 people in car. Lowering the car may not be worth the trouble. Just do like honda Pro jason and get 19s and meaty tire. His car still looks amazing and well balanced

Honda Civic 10th gen Help | Need advice on wheel and tire purchase DF1A1BEA-46DD-4BEC-A443-FBC1E23933E6

Honda Civic 10th gen Help | Need advice on wheel and tire purchase AA86CC76-EC00-4DD6-9799-0B6F2947F8CE

OP
OP

Gforce81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Much appreciated. After tons of diliberation, I pulled the trigger on a set of BC Forced HCA21's with a polished lip and brushed black face in 18 X 9.5 +45 with Michelin PS4S 275/35/18's. I'll provide pics and details once I get them installed, should be in about 3-4 weeks.
Sponsored