Help me understand BBG and Advanced VSA (with a CVT)

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So before I do anything crazy, I want to understand exactly how these work and what is within the bounds of safety, specifically with a CVT. Although I am going to buy the TSP stage 1 tune really soon, I am currently using a dual 21/eco tune with quick adjustments and early spool turned up.

1. With BBG in a CVT, obviously there are no "gears". Even with the simulated shifts, they're not defined gears. So how does 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. work?

2. There are two BBG options. Let's say "16 PSI boost level" and "16 PSI boost level with ramp". If I chose without ramp, does that mean it will go full boost at that "gear" all the time? Wouldn't I always want a ramp for smooth boost?

3. I am primarily interested in this to extend the longevity of the CVT. At the moment, all the BBG are "custom boost level" so I don't know what they actually are set at. What are some values I should set 1st and/or 2nd at to be slightly less than the current tune? I dont want to kill that low end torque either though.

4. Advanced VSA: I want to play around with this because on stock tires and the current tune, I spin my wheels on launch. So if I understand correctly, the engine cuts timing when it feels like its losing traction to attempt to get the tires to grip again. So this part confuses me a lot and I'm a noob so ELI5 please. what exactly are the differences (feel-wise) between all the VSA control strategy settings. The more aggressive the ignition pullback, the less wheel spin will happen right? When should you go with a lighter ignition pullback over a more aggressive one or vice versa? Pros and cons of going too aggressive or light?

5. Are these all safe? This applies to both the CVT itself as well as just daily driving. I know it messes around with the traction control and I live in Canada where there's snow, ice and rain to deal with. I don't want to do something so drastic to the traction control where I will spin out if I hit a patch of ice. I just want less wheel spin when I aggressively launch.

Thanks. Also tagging @gtman because when it comes to Ktuner I always appreciate your input and I know you have a CVT too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Try the online help at ktuner site.
Get it professionally custom tuned if you're unsure what it all does with regards to your questions.
Launching a CVT is never a good idea.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
1. With simulated shifts come simulated gears.
2. Explained here in the help. http://ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/quick_boost_by_gear_settings.htm
3. There are no BBG limits by default
4. You'll have to try each option and see what works best for you and your setup.
5. Yes and you can disable advanced VSA by simply enabling cruise control. That will leave only factory VSA system operable.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I personally only use boost by gear in "1st" (no ramp).

The "custom boost level" when you first load a starter tune simply means that there is no bbg limit set.

Advanced VSA is safe with one slight caveat. If you set it to it's most aggressive and you drive in a way that has it on often, you could potentially cause cat damage. But the A-VSA timing retard happens so fast most likely the cat will be OK.

Like JR said though, ultimately it's about trial and error and finding the best setup for your car/driving style.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaiLo

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The "custom boost level" when you first load a starter tune simply means that there is no bbg limit set.

Advanced VSA is safe with one caveat. If you set it to it's most aggressive and you drive in a way that has it on for a long time, you could potentially cause cat damage.

Like JR said though, ultimately it's about trial and error and finding the best setup for your car/driving style.
What do you have your BBG in 1st set to? I'm assuming you're doing what I'm trying to do and lower low end torque for the longevity of the CVT?

Also about the VSA you said it could potentially cause cat damage? Is that just a typo for car damage? I don't see how that would affect the cat at all

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The way VSA works is partially to retard ignition timing.

Mine bbg is just set at 18 psi, which is the standard TSP setup. I don't go WOT off the line, only rolling starts.

OP
OP
DaiLo

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Mine bbg is just set at 18 psi, which is the standard TSP setup. I don't go WOT off the line, only rolling starts.
Oh right I guess that makes sense. Thanks! Yeah I don't go full WOT off the line either I usually at least get it to 2K RPM.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Advanced VSA is safe with one slight caveat. If you set it to it's most aggressive and you drive in a way that has it on often, you could potentially cause cat damage. But the A-VSA timing retard happens so fast most likely the cat will be OK.

so LUCKY you have A-VSA ! i'm still waiting for the added feature. VSA even partially off it goes off more often now with the added power i've got from the upgraded turbo.
patiently waiting & i know my man @KTuner are very busy.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

Have you tried lowering the BBG with the TSP Tune? Any noticeable difference? I noticed sometimes when going around 20mph after a stop and then WOT the car tires spin sometimes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried lowering the BBG with the TSP Tune? Any noticeable difference? I noticed sometimes when going around 20mph after a stop and then WOT the car tires spin sometimes.
When I had Ktuner Starter maps I did set it to 15-16 and it did help. I just haven't touched it on TSP. You should try the 15psi if you're on stock tires.

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport Touring, 2010 Subaru Forester, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Country flag
3. There are no BBG limits by default
So how different would that be from "disabled". I read that as no limit. Custom implies something in between disabled and another value, no?

Honda Civic 10th gen Help me understand BBG and Advanced VSA (with a CVT) kt_bbg_options.PNG

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So how different would that be from "disabled". I read that as no limit. Custom implies something in between disabled and another value, no?

kt_bbg_options.PNG
I know it's confusing but Ktuner showing "Custom" BBG on their out of the box base tunes basically means "disabled". Don't overthink it.

Last edited:

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know it's confusing but Ktuner showing "Custom" on their out of the box base tunes basically means "disabled". Don't overthink it.
I am not overthinking anything. The term DISABLED and CUSTOM have a totally different meaning. Disabled means 29psi in the drop-down menu, and custom is a mystery. If it's confusing... why not make it clear. We're directed to the help website all the time, no?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
You are overthinking it. Custom means no preset has been chosen from the list, because once again we don't set it to anything specific by default.

The list is just an easy way to see what you chose from it previously and an easy way to set the tables to the presets if you choose to.

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are overthinking it. Custom means no preset has been chosen from the list, because once again we don't set it to anything specific by default.

The list is just an easy way to see what you chose from it previously and an easy way to set the tables to the presets if you choose to.
Wait... @gtman ... is that you? :p

No preset has been chosen. Sooo..... no limit... disabled...gotta be something. Kidding aside... I get what you mean, but I am in the trust-but-verify camp, so I flashed the car with BBG limits disabled... close enough. :drive:
Sponsored