Jonvolution

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen LX (MT)
Country flag
Hey all. I really enjoy my ‘19 Si but I’m really just holding onto it until I see what the next two years bring to the market. As you know by 2022 we have the new Si/Type R, WRX, Corolla GR hatch, GR86, GTi Mk8, and Nissan Z coming out. I love modding and I eventually want something faster that handles even better. But in the meantime I want to keep modding my car so I don’t get bored with it too soon. Current mods are:

Mishimoto intake
Hondata 6 PSI Reflash
Acuity short shifter adapter
Acuity shifter bushings
Acuity rocker
Hasport 62a engine mount
Skunk2 shift knob
Tanabe strut bar
Honda 2020 Si front/rear bumper garnish
Engine bay panels
Honda Type R front badge
Honda HFP Si floor mats
Bayson R front lip
Resonator delete
Amsoil Synchromesh
Window tint
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Thenice console dash trim

Anything you guys like doing thats below $500? A big turbo, intercooler, dyno tune, and clutch would be nice but that’s $1k+ each. I don’t think thats worth it since I plan on getting rid of the car by 2023.

It’s my daily and I track it 2-3x a year but that’s it. Just looking to add a few more things to keep it fun and not break the bank but I’m running out of ideas!!

Thanks a ton!!
Sponsored

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Why keep putting money into the car if you are sure you don't want to keep it? I think you should leave it the way it is, maybe part out the parts you can to recoup some of the funds as well.

On another note, you could be enjoying the car much more if you didn't cheap out on some of the mods you've chosen. For example you could get a tune as it would be less than $500 had you gone with a Ktuner or even Flashpro unit vs just the reflash. The full Acuity shifter is miles better than just the attachments and is also less than $500, you could have saved by just buying it first. Just some examples of things to consider, best of luck on whatever you choose to do.

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Hey all. I really enjoy my ‘19 Si but I’m really just holding onto it until I see what the next two years bring to the market. As you know by 2022 we have the new Si/Type R, WRX, Corolla GR hatch, GR86, GTi Mk8, and Nissan Z coming out. I love modding and I eventually want something faster that handles even better. But in the meantime I want to keep modding my car so I don’t get bored with it too soon. Current mods are:

Mishimoto intake
Hondata 6 PSI Reflash
Acuity short shifter adapter
Acuity shifter bushings
Acuity rocker
Hasport 62a engine mount
Skunk2 shift knob
Tanabe strut bar
Honda 2020 Si front/rear bumper garnish
Engine bay panels
Honda Type R front badge
Honda HFP Si floor mats
Bayson R front lip
Resonator delete
Amsoil Synchromesh
Window tint
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Thenice console dash trim

Anything you guys like doing thats below $500? A big turbo, intercooler, dyno tune, and clutch would be nice but that’s $1k+ each. I don’t think thats worth it since I plan on getting rid of the car by 2023.

It’s my daily and I track it 2-3x a year but that’s it. Just looking to add a few more things to keep it fun and not break the bank but I’m running out of ideas!!

Thanks a ton!!
Dude stop spending and save up for the acura stype or the z400

OP
OP

Jonvolution

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen LX (MT)
Country flag
The Reflash cost $250, why spend $600 then have to replace my clutch? The clutch + labor is $1,500 and it’s inevitable once you hit that 270+ WTQ range. Also the Acuity stuff was $180, why pay $500 for the entire assembly? I did things that work for me without going overboard. And I’m definitely not going to start parting it out two years before I get rid of it haha. I could sell $500 of those parts in 3 days, I’m not concerned about doing it any time soon.

Everything on that list was $1,600 (tires included), that’s the cost of just a turbo or clutch swap.

The new Z is on my watch list, the automatic Acura is not.

I don’t want to come off as cocky here but you guys are talking like I’m a broke 17 year old dumping money into a rusted out ‘95 LX. I’m not rich by any means but I have a 780 credit score and zero debt so $1,600-$2k into a car I keep for 3-4 years to make it more ‘me’ and enjoyable isn’t crazy to me, especially when I could make some money back selling parts and by time I get rid of the car it’ll be worth $7k more than what I owe. It’s not an investment but it’s also not pissing money into the wind. What’s crazy to me is all these guys dumping $10k+ into an Si (when they could just buy a Type R) just to get it to 300 WHP. Y’all see the new PRL and 27won intake inlet that adds 1 HP or 5 HP with a tune and turbo upgrade for the low cost of $600? That’s straight insanity but people are eating it up. Even if I was going to keep the car for 10 years I wouldn’t do stuff like that, but hey to each their own!!

I’m simply asking what things you guys enjoy doing to your cars that are inexpensive. Whether it be performance based or aesthetic. Don’t worry about my finances this is just me trying to gain some inspiration as I go along. I’ll worry about a new car and parting this one out when the time comes ?

OP
OP

Jonvolution

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen LX (MT)
Country flag
If you’re tracking invest in suspension/chassis mods. I don’t believe I see anything related to that.
I’ve considered a rear sway bar but people seem to be torn about which size is best. Some people say 18mm is stiff enough others say 23mm is perfect. I’d also like to lower it a little but dropping it 1.6-1.8” seems a bit drastic, can’t find much that only drops it 0.8-1.2”. I think the handling of the Si is about 90% perfect for what the car is but a slightly lower center of gravity and a bit more stiffness would help that loose corner roll that you feel at higher speeds. I’m absolutely not opposed to tweaking the suspension though!!

SCcanyoncrvr

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’ve considered a rear sway bar but people seem to be torn about which size is best. Some people say 18mm is stiff enough others say 23mm is perfect. I’d also like to lower it a little but dropping it 1.6-1.8” seems a bit drastic, can’t find much that only drops it 0.8-1.2”. I think the handling of the Si is about 90% perfect for what the car is but a slightly lower center of gravity and a bit more stiffness would help that loose corner roll that you feel at higher speeds. I’m absolutely not opposed to tweaking the suspension though!!
Swift springs and a RSB will def help. That’s right under 500 dollars.

I run those and run canyons almost every weekend and 4-5 trackdays a year.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is quite a bit of ignorance and lack of research with your response. Anyone dumping 10k into an Si is most certainly faster than most Type Rs. Type R prices are still very inconsistent so they are not affordable for all, but that is neither here nor there. Lot of folks dump money into their Hondas because that's what they enjoy, not to mention that the Si will likely be ahead of the R for a long time in terms of capability for straight line speed. Everything cost more money and is more difficult when it comes to the Type R vs the Si, so it is not just about what you paid for the car. It sounds like you mod within your means and that is great, some have deeper pockets and spend more on their toys. You might have paid little for your mods, but that is also why your enjoyment and gains were just as small. Best of luck when you trade in for whatever you move on to.

OP
OP

Jonvolution

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen LX (MT)
Country flag
One could say ignorance and lack of research but that’s also an oxymoron on a forum. The whole point of forums is to communicate with others that share a mutual interest to learn more about a topic. I’ve literally done everything to my car based on research, most from here. Otherwise I wouldn’t have known about any of it. Dumping a ton of money into an Si is cool if that’s your thing, so is beating a Type R in a straight line, but a Mustang GT can be had for $31k and will destroy either in a straight line all day every day, but none of that is my thing.

I guess I should have specified from the start, my enjoyment and gains aren’t small, they’re exactly what I was after, but like many enthusiasts I get bored with cars. If I had multiple cars that would be great, or one car that was $100k+ that took my breath away every time I sat in it, but a $25k-$40k car isn’t something I can justify dumping a fortune into and holding onto for a decade or more. And the cheaper the car the more relevant that is. I’m the light modder and have fun type, and that’s why I asked what some simple mods are that guys enjoy doing. I’m kind of out of ideas and don’t want to get bored prematurely. Plus it’s just cool to hear about what some guys are doing with their cars, I might dig it enough to want to do it myself!

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
These cars fit some people's needs differently, I am quite fond of Mustangs particularly the S550 platform but try putting someone in the back that isn't a paraplegic, try getting decent fuel economy if you enjoy flooring it every once in while or sit in traffic on your commute. That is why there is an aftermarket for 4 cylinder econobox sporty cars, otherwise everyone would drive around in v8s because they enjoy the power.

In any case I didn't stress another point I was trying to make, when I say you made cheap choices in mods. These mods are cheap not just because they were the cheaper cost choice, but because you could have gotten more enjoyment out of other alternatives that can be resold used for close to what you paid. The two suggestions I made fall within the cost you asked about ($500). Ktuner v1.2 can be had for $450 with the TSP Stg 1 when you buy from TwoStepPerformance. You can limit boost if you can't stay out of it and are worried about your clutch, although lots of people can get decent life out of it by just being smart about how you drive the car. The Acuity Shifter would have been ideal in the first place, sure it is more money but you could sell both these mods to recoup most of the cost later. Good luck selling a reflash, the shifter mods sure you could sell them but they don't fetch much back in most cases as people sell em cheap all the time and there is better alternatives.

As for other things you could add:
A cheap Rev9 intercooler: keeps the power up especially when the weather gets hot
Rear Sway Bar: already mentioned (an adjustable one like the Rv6 might be a good choice if you arent sure how aggressive you want to go)
Upgraded brake pads and SS lines
Lightweight wheels as the stocks are super heavy (wheels resale pretty well as long as they aren't cheap reps from the get go)
Steering wheel: CTR, Buddy Club, Ebay, etc...

OP
OP

Jonvolution

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen LX (MT)
Country flag
Get a 4 cylinder turbo up to 450-500 HP and MPG goes out the window just like that big V8 haha.

As far as selling stuff goes I’m not too concerned honestly. It’s an option but it’s not what gets me to buy something in the first place. Now if it’s $1k+ yeah I might want to sell it, but $1,500-$2k over the course of 4 years of fun? Meh, not concerned. That’s an extra $40/mo, I look at that as a fun tax haha.

Dude I had NO idea you could get a cheaper drop in intercooler than the Mishimoto. I’ve always wanted a new one but $575 is a bit ridiculous for what it is. I’ve never experienced extreme heat soak but I have got the system hot enough on some warmer days to notice the turbo getting sluggish. Now that I know I can get one for half that of the Mishimoto that’ll likely be my next mod.

I’ll have to look into the RV6 sway bar, a lot of people say the Tanabe feels too stiff even on the street setting. Wheels would be killer but that’s a crazy market in itself, $500 for a set or $3k for a set, seems skys the limit on that.

Thanks for the tips though, you definitely helped scratch an old itch!!

SCcanyoncrvr

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Driving both a Type R and Civic Si at the track I can tell you right now it would take a lot of money and lot of skill to get an Si to run a faster lap. Straight line speed is another story which for me I wouldn’t buy a Honda for that.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Get a 4 cylinder turbo up to 450-500 HP and MPG goes out the window just like that big V8 haha.

As far as selling stuff goes I’m not too concerned honestly. It’s an option but it’s not what gets me to buy something in the first place. Now if it’s $1k+ yeah I might want to sell it, but $1,500-$2k over the course of 4 years of fun? Meh, not concerned. That’s an extra $40/mo, I look at that as a fun tax haha.

Dude I had NO idea you could get a cheaper drop in intercooler than the Mishimoto. I’ve always wanted a new one but $575 is a bit ridiculous for what it is. I’ve never experienced extreme heat soak but I have got the system hot enough on some warmer days to notice the turbo getting sluggish. Now that I know I can get one for half that of the Mishimoto that’ll likely be my next mod.

I’ll have to look into the RV6 sway bar, a lot of people say the Tanabe feels too stiff even on the street setting. Wheels would be killer but that’s a crazy market in itself, $500 for a set or $3k for a set, seems skys the limit on that.

Thanks for the tips though, you definitely helped scratch an old itch!!
IIRC, the Mishimoto FMIC requires modification to an OEM deflector and you'd need to buy a new one to revert to factory. Just a heads up if you do plan on getting it and then wanting to sell it!

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Swift springs and a RSB will def help. That’s right under 500 dollars.

I run those and run canyons almost every weekend and 4-5 trackdays a year.
I agree on all accounts.

Get the Swift Springs for the Si. You won't regret it. Also a 20.5mm rear sway bar like the Type R bar or the Progress bar and the Accord endlinks.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also...