Help me decide EX EX-T sedan or LX Accord

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Mirage De coupe 2003
Country flag
I drive like a little old lady :)
Civic is the way better deal if you can't wait a for the 2018 Accord redesign. It's just way better value for the money is many many aspects, including the money lol.

Although as a family car, the Accord usually wins on space alone. The new Civic is very generous with space but if you have 2 kids and maybe other family, then the Accord is usually more tailored for that.

If you can't decide I honestly say just wait for the new 2018 Accord. Space or not the Accord just isn't the better for the value right now.
Sponsored

OP
OP

NHBFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota RAV4
Civic is the way better deal if you can't wait a for the 2018 Accord redesign. It's just way better value for the money is many many aspects, including the money lol.

Although as a family car, the Accord usually wins on space alone. The new Civic is very generous with space but if you have 2 kids and maybe other family, then the Accord is usually more tailored for that.

If you can't decide I honestly say just wait for the new 2018 Accord. Space or not the Accord just isn't the better for the value right now.
Thanks for the reply.

I strongly believe the next generation Accord will costs considerably more than an EX-T.

The deals to be had on the current gen Accord LX makes it competitively priced to the EX-T.

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the reply.

I strongly believe the next generation Accord will costs considerably more than an EX-T.

The deals to be had on the current gen Accord LX makes it competitively priced to the EX-T.
and therein lies the problem in my opinion. The Accord is designed to be another class of vehicle. Civic Sedan is to Sentra, while Altima is to Accord. While the value of the the outdated Accord LX is in-line with the Civic, you won't really end up experiencing what the Accord can offer (although one can say that the biggest difference with the Accord is that it's larger and more powerful engine).

I have a hard crisis myself when it comes to choosing the Sedan vs the Hatchback, but it really is hard to compare the civic and accord because they're not really meant to be competitive from price in the first place. Civic is compact and stylish, while still enjoying great space and a sporty-enough engine. The Accord is full blown zoomer with more power and space. I don't really know much about the Accord outside of that general comparison doe. All my study has been dedicated to this new Civics lol.

You should honestly just come to terms that both are spectacular vehicles, but pick the one that is more tailored to your lifestyle. Why get an Accord if you're single or in a relationship but haven't started a family? I also don't think it's good spending if you decide to get a base Accord just because it's close to the fully-decked out Civic. It's not smart spending, especially when the Accord is in a class of its own. Different values, different lifestyle. Both excellent cars. For close to the same money you have the choice of choosing the best of one world, or spend a bit more and settle with only half of the other world.

That's just me being nitpicky though. It really is your decision. No one really cares what you do with your money so long as you are happy. I just happen to have rules for decisions. I look more in-depth to why I choose things, and why I should or shouldn't.

To be honest I could just be biased because i'm a young guy who loves the new Civic look. Everything else great about the Civic only served to surprise and please me further and further.

spock_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
Picked up the accord lx 6mt for 19.5k price if that helps. Nobody in New England would beat that price on civic 1.5t manuals, simply not around so they are not coming off much (19.9k was best I could do). CVTs are different market, plenty of those in all trims, both models. My casual assessment is the accord is finished much better while the civic has superior mileage. The 2.4na engine in the accord is a proven winner vs the unknown civic 1.5t. Since I tend to keep cars 10-15 years I went with the best value at this time which to me was the accord. (I did really like the manual hatch though!). ex-t sedans in manual would have been cool to test drive but none in the state last month.

Last edited:

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Picked up the accord lx 6mt for 19.5k price is that helps. Nobody in New England would beat that price on civic 1.5t manuals, simply not around so they are not coming off much (19.9k was best I could do). CVTs are different market, plenty of those in all trims, both models. My casual assessment is the accord is finished much better while the civic has superior mileage. The 2.4na engine in the accord is a proven winner vs the unknown civic 1.5t. Since I tend to keep cars 10-15 years I went with the best value at this time which to me was the accord. (I did really like the manual hatch though!). ex-t sedans in manual would have been cool to test drive but none in the state last month.
What the hell. I never new they came out that cheap. I just heard that Accords were a different class and their base model started at around 30k USD.

spock_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
manual accord lx (cheapest model) with delivery lists for 23330+-. They are really dealing on accords right now, I suspect they will get cheaper as summer rolls around. Combined with .9 honda financing (no loan charges, fees, etc) it made for a compelling deal. You can also deal on CVTs right now on civics, they are a ton of them sitting on lots and not seemingly moving very fast.

What the hell. I never new they came out that cheap. I just heard that Accords were a different class and their base model started at around 30k USD.

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
manual accord lx (cheapest model) with delivery lists for 23330+-. They are really dealing on accords right now, I suspect they will get cheaper as summer rolls around. Combined with .9 honda financing (no loan charges, fees, etc) it made for a compelling deal. You can also deal on CVTs right now on civics, they are a ton of them sitting on lots and not seemingly moving very fast.
Ah ok. My argument is really null then. I pretty much countered my own argument there. With the accord revision coming for 2018, the 2017 models must be getting the deals of a lifetime.

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok how about argument #2. 1.5 turbo is really efficient. Surely sedan is the better commuter car right now?

Lets not forget the 5 star safety ratings on these new civics from all directions of the vehicle (you said you drive like a grandma right? Lol). Not to mention that I'm not sure if the 2017 accords even have the Honda sensing safety tech. A complaint about the civics is that the Honda sending sensing isn't that great compared to similar competitors, but surely having it is infinitely better than not, especially in a civic with excellent structural safety.

Finally, forget the safety aspect of the Honda sensing tech, many drivers appreciate the hell out of Honda sensing because it makes long distance driving less exhausting.

Last edited:
OP
OP

NHBFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota RAV4
Ok how about argument #2. 1.5 turbo is really efficient. Surely sedan is the better commuter car right now?

Lets not forget the 5 star safety ratings on these new civics from all directions of the vehicle (you said you drive like a grandma right? Lol). Not to mention that I'm not sure if the 2017 accords even have the Honda sensing safety tech. A complaint about the civics is that the Honda sending sensing isn't that great compared to similar competitors, but surely having it is infinitely better than not, especially in a civic with excellent structural safety.

Finally, forget the safety aspect of the Honda sensing tech, many drivers appreciate the hell out of Honda sensing because it makes long distance driving less exhausting.

The price difference between the current gen Accord and a EX-T is negligible ... a couple hundred bucks (real world ... not MSRP)

The bigger Accord is also 5 star safety rated

Although the Accord has the bigger engine the EX-T is faster

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Why is life so hard while I'm so soft in the middle?

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The price difference between the current gen Accord and a EX-T is negligible ... a couple hundred bucks (real world ... not MSRP)

The bigger Accord is also 5 star safety rated

Although the Accord has the bigger engine the EX-T is faster

Decisions, decisions, decisions

Why is life so hard while I'm so soft in the middle?
lol

We're all a little soft in the middle sometimes.

Get the damn Civic.
Sponsored