Help in initiating complaint procedure I was hoping that someone could direct me toward starting in

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
I was hoping that someone could direct me toward starting the official complaint procedure with Honda. I would like this to end up in some sort of arbitration if necessary. It’s not the biggest deal in the world but it’s a matter of principle to me.

I took my 2016 civic to the dealer complaining about two things, both covered by TSB‘s. One had to do with the radio changing screens. The other had to do with the emergency brake sometimes working and sometimes not. My VIN wasn’t part of the emergency brake recall. I know there was a code for the brake in the system because a friend read it for me. The check engine light was not on.

The car is 2000 miles out of the OEM warranty but it is covered by Honda care. The guy who checked me and gave me a song and dance about costing $128 to read whatever codes were in the system and said I would be charged $128 for each code except that it was covered by Honda care so I didn’t have to pay anything. The sheet I signed had a preliminary estimate of $256 and an hourly labor rate of $0.00. This was in keeping with his statement that it was covered by Honda care. When they were done they came out to get me and told me that the cost would be $256. I said If that were the cost, I didn’t want the work done. The guy told me it was already done but that he would cut it in half. So I owed $128 plus tax.

The counter guy denied telling me that the work was covered by Honda care. He said he tried to get it covered but that Honda care refused. I told him basically that I wasn’t going to argue with him, that I would pay it and then challenge it. And here I am.

First, I don’t believe that and I should be charged for work 1) covered by TSB‘s and 2) when codes are showing in the system and Honda care is in effect.

The question of the receipt showing a labor rate of $0.00 is secondary. That alone is enough I believe to absolve me of the obligation to pay, particularly when accompanied by a verbal statement that I didn’t have to pay. However I believe that the dealer is in error on the first two points and I’d like to use the Honda complaint system to establish that. Hopefully that will help other customers.

Can anyone point me to the complaint process? The Honda site says contact them by phone. I’d like to do this in writing.

Thanks
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The car is 2000 miles out of the OEM warranty but it is covered by Honda care. The guy who checked me and gave me a song and dance about costing $128 to read whatever codes were in the system and said I would be charged $128 for each code except that it was covered by Honda care so I didn’t have to pay anything.
Thanks
You have got to be kidding -- although you probably are not !!

I can understand a charge for reading the 1st code - they have to log the car in ..etc, get set up with the Tester -- read the 1st error code .. document it, and sign the vehicle out.

But another $128 just to read a 2nd Code .. that is Totally Ridiculous, and totally unjustifiable.

Unfortunately, that alone should have been a big red flag.
If nothing else, it tells you to find another Dealer, or maybe even an alternative to the Dealer network.

How can READING some codes, and not reading others be covered or not by Hondacare ? The reading is easy Basic Diagnostics.
Fixing the problems that are causing the error codes is different .. I can understand how some issue may be covered, and some may not be.

But thanks for the Heads-Up. Yet another thing to consider when entrusting the Maintenance of your car to "some" Dealers...

BTW: $256 buys you a very nice OBD2 tester.
($128 Buys a nice one - $64 Buys you a reasonable one, and $32 can buy you a tester as well -- and these days, it does not take being a Rocket Scientist to interpret the results -- especially with the power of the Internet.) - You already have the Expensive part of a Tester .. Your Smartphone Display !!

MY choice would be to run the test myself so I know what could be really wrong, note the error codes, get the Info for each code, and then get the Dealer Quote to address each error situation INDIVIDUALLY. ie A quote for each one, and require you to sign off on Exactly what you want them to repair, and what you don't before you part with One Cent.

Make you wonder exactly what HONDA CARE is ? maybe time to read the Fine Print !

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I think you should contact them by phone to start the process, get a complaint #, then ask if you can send them the details in writing/email.

OP
OP

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Thanks. Sorry the thread title got messed up. I thought I saw some other information in the forum about using the complaint procedure to hold dealers accountable but I couldn’t find it. I’ll call Honda and ask.

I think you should contact them by phone to start the process, get a complaint #, then ask if you can send them the details in writing/email.

OP
OP

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Just an update. I contacted Honda through their online complaint form on September 7. I received a call today saying that they received my complaint and would assign it to someone. The conversation began with the representative telling me that the conversation was going to be recorded for quality control. I asked if I could record the conversation. I was told that if I did so and let them know, the call would be terminated. I was then asked if I was recording the call.

Of course, I really have no desire to record a conversation because the recording would be meaningless. I just thought I’d ask because I don’t particularly like corporations recording my calls.

We’re off to a nice start. Go Honda!

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Just an update. I contacted Honda through their online complaint form on September 7. I received a call today saying that they received my complaint and would assign it to someone. The conversation began with the representative telling me that the conversation was going to be recorded for quality control. I asked if I could record the conversation. I was told that if I did so and let them know, the call would be terminated. I was then asked if I was recording the call.

Of course, I really have no desire to record a conversation because the recording would be meaningless. I just thought I’d ask because I don’t particularly like corporations recording my calls.

LOL .. yes -- I've often stated that "This call is being recorded for Quality Control"

It's a Guaranteed way to get the other end to disconnect !!!

It seem it is OK for them to record , but not for you .. and it has NOTHING to do with "Quality Control".

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

They have all the power and we have none, except to complain about them publicly.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
sorry to have to go through with this typical bull shit, op. get ready for a long hard fight. ive been there done that and i can tell you it doesnt usually end up in your favor.

honda of america doesnt give much of a shit about their customers. you even have honda care and theyre still trying to fuck you. dirty fucking stealerships and corporate greedy fuckers from HofA arent on our side even though we continue to buy their fucking product. they got too big and arrogant over the last 2 decades.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just had to go through a mess with two dealerships and corporate Honda. Their lying and BS, being sneaky, I found out that Honda can't make the dealers do crap, i was told that by both the dealers and corporate Honda.
Fortunately for me, I won, but my car was only a year and a half old, I'm not really sure what you can do with it being out of warranty but then again if you have honda care, I guess that its still under warranty.
It sucks to have to have these issues with any company who has gladly taken your money :(
Sponsored