Help! How to remove exhaust soot from my paint!?

Col-Train25

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 1971 Chevrolet Nova
Country flag
So some asshole in a deleted diesel truck thought they were cool by “rolling coal” whenever they slightly accelerated. Anyways, it got black soot/oil/gas/whatever deposits ALL over my white Civic Si and I mean all over it. I finally got the time to wash my car and, lo and behold, it doesn’t simply wipe off with my soap and mitten. I scrubbed vigorously and there was still soot specs everywhere. I got out my clay bar and spent two hours just cleaning the roof of my car. I just recently clay bared my car so I’m not really wanting to have to do my entire car again and besides, it’s a ton of work to clay the soot off

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could spray all over my car and maybe let it soak that will make the soot much much easier to wipe off?

I have attached a picture of what I’m dealing with. The left side is the side I vigorously scrubbed and the right side is the side as it originally sits.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Honda Civic 10th gen Help! How to remove exhaust soot from my paint!? C541A8FC-8A54-401B-9FDC-076233614052
Sponsored

Wingman520

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I would suggest a clay bar if you have one. I’ve not personally been rolled in the coal, but if someone has they may provide a better option.

**edit**
Sorry I skimmed the message and didn’t see you clay barred it recently. It won’t hurt to do just the section that has the exhaust soot on it. I would alternatively suggest an iron remover.

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe a somewhat deep cut machine polish would work

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Megurias All Purpose Cleaner (APC) or any branded auto APC will do the trick. Megurias Degreaser will work as well. It will dissolve the oilly deposits above and below the paint surface. Clay only clean above the surface. But just a caution, don’t leave it dry on paint. As soon as it cleans up, quickly rinse the chemical away.

OP
OP
Col-Train25

Col-Train25

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 1971 Chevrolet Nova
Country flag
Thanks all for the suggestions. I forgot that I had some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover. So I sprayed that on my car, let it soak for a minute or two and the majority of the oily deposits wiped off. However, there are a couple of spots that I will need to touch up with a clay bar but the Bug and Tar remover worked surprisingly well.

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Purple power makes my exhaust tip nice and shiney just by sprayong on dry and pressure wahing off