HELP! Dealership wants their car back or I fork out more money. WTF Honda.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea, then they backed down when I said sure, get my old car ready I'll head over, and said they would "apply for an exception". Which I was fine with at the time, but it's been almost 3 days now and my already weak trust in them is failing fast. They also told me that the financing had already gone through so then it's a grey area based on the contract if they can even take the car back since I fulfilled the "must obtain financing" portion of it.
At the point you called their bluff on bringing it back, you own all the leverage now. My bet is this magically goes away now. You could make it really uncomfortable on them and tell them your lawyer advised you to head down to check out your car you traded in to make sure its in the same shape as it was when you traded it.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
If you tink you are right by reading the contract

I will not read all the "post" maybe all that was mentioned;

In my opinion, it is better for you to get an arangement instead of waiting.

Talk (calmly) with the manager or another high-placed person at your dealer/ seller's.
Emphasize your honest-looking point of view, which relied on a company you thought was serious.

If the dealer/ seller does not want to accept, tell him that he think about your proposal anyway and call him later.
Maybe an in-person meeting would be more effective?

The dealer / seller may have a lawyer paid the year and it will cost them nothing to send you a formal notice. And at that moment, it will be harder to get what you want. Maybe I'm wrong too.

You did well to write to Honda if I read correctly.

Good luck

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
UPDATE:

1) New manager called, the "extension" failed. They want the car back. So I'm gonna drive the car back and do the exchange.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
UPDATE:

1) New manager called, the "extension" failed. They want the car back. So I'm gonna drive the car back and do the exchange.
Tell them you are busy today. You'll bring it back tomorrow. Call the news station.

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
Tell them you are busy today. You'll bring it back tomorrow. Call the news station.
I'll call the news station later. I actually have plans to go on a trip anyways so I'd rather do this today than have to delay my trip to do the car exchange tomorrow.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I'll call the news station later. I actually have plans to go on a trip anyways so I'd rather do this today than have to delay my trip to do the car exchange tomorrow.
If you return the car and unwind the deal, I doubt anyone would want to bother with a story or investigation.

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
WOW.. they want the car over $500? and then take a hit on resale value. How many miles you got on that?

neffster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T, 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited
Country flag
So they are blowing this deal up over $500? There HAS to be more to the story that we aren't getting.
They will lose more than $500 by taking the car back as used (as has been said earlier). Again, we are missing part of the story for certain...
Did they find out that your trade is a 'bad deal' for them? Did they do an inspection on your trade to see your engine has no compression or the transmission won't go into gear?

GuyT

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T sport (10th-Gen)
a dealer is backing out of a deal after it went through and takes back the goods from the buyer unless he pays more money?
sounds like a very interesting story to me.
I wouldnt want to do any purchases from that dealership

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you return the car and unwind the deal, I doubt anyone would want to bother with a story or investigation.
Good point, sent the news station the story, but it's late so we'll see.

I honestly don't know. Told you guys everything. My car was a 2013 Kia Soul, it's been in a wreck in the past, but all fixed, no issues driving it the past few years. Just had an oil changed. This place gave me one of the lowest trade-in offers for it, other places I got about $600-1000 more.

jdm_94

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type R & 14 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think they found something wrong with your old car and they dont want it and used the $500 for the excuse to brake the deal because take the Civic car back for $500 this must be the dealer more stupid in the world!!! before you get out the dealer check your old car very well.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Good point, sent the news station the story, but it's late so we'll see.

I honestly don't know. Told you guys everything. My car was a 2013 Kia Soul, it's been in a wreck in the past, but all fixed, no issues driving it the past few years. Just had an oil changed. This place gave me one of the lowest trade-in offers for it, other places I got about $600-1000 more.
Can I ask why you even picked this place if somewhere else was giving you another $1000 on a trade-in? The rebate would have been a moot issue at that point. Or was this not a Honda dealer?

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Lol man your falling for typical dealer practices. You will not return the car when you get there, they'll just scare you into thinking you have to pay and judging by your "motivation", it seems you will pay just to keep the car. Do yourself a favor and save yourself some sorrow and just forget about this thing and move on with life.

Take my word and you'll probably be thankful.

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
Can I ask why you even picked this place if somewhere else was giving you another $1000 on a trade-in? The rebate would have been a moot issue at that point. Or was this not a Honda dealer?
Their dealer incentives were bigger. By a large margin. OTD prices was $22.5k in the local area vs $21k here.

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
Lol man your falling for typical dealer practices. You will not return the car when you get there, they'll just scare you into thinking you have to pay and judging by your "motivation", it seems you will pay just to keep the car. Do yourself a favor and save yourself some sorrow and just forget about this thing and move on with life.

Take my word and you'll probably be thankful.
I have full confidence in returning the vehicle. It's their move. I don't really care for Honda at this point to be honest.
Sponsored