HELP! Broke my Side view mirror (passenger side)

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
So I messed up real hard. Was in a hurry and was backing out of the garage without watching the sides and broke a piece off of my side view mirror passenger side.
The top portion came off and the lane watch camera also became loose though thankfully it still works.
Honda Civic 10th gen HELP! Broke my Side view mirror (passenger side) 20201223_182157

Honda Civic 10th gen HELP! Broke my Side view mirror (passenger side) 20201223_182200

The top portion was surprisingly is perfect condition and I was able to snap it back on.
But there's still a big gaping hole and I had to tape back the lane watch camera into its original position.

Honda Civic 10th gen HELP! Broke my Side view mirror (passenger side) 20201223_185238

Was wondering I'd be able to get the bottom portion of the assembly myself or if I'm going to have to go to a dealer and get shafted with them telling me that the entire assembly will need to be replaced.
I'm in Ontario Canada if that matters.

Slapstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FC3
Country flag
RIP. Apparently Honda drivers are oblivious to walls. I just did the exact. Same. Thing. Not kidding.

Was repositioning my car in reverse while wrapping my trim. Because my garage is VERY small, I was too focused on my driver's side and ended up doing a mirror delete tonight instead.

Fortunately our comrade's have done the legwork for us and listed instructions on other posts. It looks like it should cost no more than ~$200USD with a few hours of work for yourself.

EDIT: You may not need to purchase the whole assembly. It looks like just the plastic housing was damaged on yours. Mirror Housing for 2DR 19 Si vs Assembly- parts for my car.

I'm going to try just the housing for now as mirror/camera are fine. We'll see.

Best of luck for us both man.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
RIP. Apparently Honda drivers are oblivious to walls. I just did the exact. Same. Thing. Not kidding.

Was repositioning my car in reverse while wrapping my trim. Because my garage is VERY small, I was too focused on my driver's side and ended up doing a mirror delete tonight instead.

Fortunately our comrade's have done the legwork for us and listed instructions on other posts. It looks like it should cost no more than ~$200USD with a few hours of work for yourself.

Best of luck for us both man.
Sucks man, my garage is the same way, and I park in there almost daily, I just became an absolute moron today and fucked up

I found this vid, seems pretty straighforward but the lanewatch camera is what worries me.

Slapstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FC3
Country flag
Sucks man, my garage is the same way, and I park in there almost daily, I just became an absolute moron today and fucked up

I found this vid, seems pretty straighforward but the lanewatch camera is what worries me.
Same, that appears to be the most difficult part. I'm going to reuse my LW cam if at all possible to avoid it. I think if you just bolt/snap it back in it will be close enough. If you get a new assembly w/camera then the vehicle recognizes the new camera and will force you to reteach. I don't rely on LW solely, it's more of a helpful supplement to checking blindspots when changing lanes.

I've never done anything like this before.. Not my first time being a moron though. It happens. Just fix it and fold them in next time!

If it makes you feel better, I've only had my si for 2 months lol. When I had my 08 si, someone backed their hitch straight through my rear bumper about 2 months into owning it too.
I got this one because a semi driver didn't see me and totaled it in a gnarly interstate accident. Fml.
I need to get my accord running again and just leave the Si sit cause I'm putting myself in timeout.

Slapstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FC3
Country flag
Got the parts in yesterday and got her replaced today! About an hour taking my time to get everything off and installed.

Honda Civic 10th gen HELP! Broke my Side view mirror (passenger side) 20210110_175918

ripcord291

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Platinum White Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
where you get your mirror? lmao i have to do this next week. hopefully its the right part lol. did you program it?

OP
OP

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
Got the parts in yesterday and got her replaced today! About an hour taking my time to get everything off and installed.

20210110_175918.jpg

Awesome man, I got my housing set as well. Though I'm scared of doing it myself. Is taking the mirror off tricky? My mirror is still instact and I don't want to end up shattering it because I suck with this kind of stuff.

Slapstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FC3
Country flag
Awesome man, I got my housing set as well. Though I'm scared of doing it myself. Is taking the mirror off tricky? My mirror is still instact and I don't want to end up shattering it because I suck with this kind of stuff.
Haha I was nervous about it too, as well as the plastic pieces because I swear I've never NOT broken a stupid clip.

Honestly I just watched a video of someone upgrading their mirrors and they just yoinked that fucker right off so that's what I did (with care). Just tilt the mirror, make sure you have a good hold and push from the backside. Try to apply the force near the back center of it where it connects. Just don't put all of your force on the edges, keep your fingertips as close to the back center as possible.

What you do need to be careful of is the two wires connected to the mirrors back for the defrost. You need to pull/wiggle the wire crimp(could use pliers gently) while keeping a flathead on the tab connected to the mirror.. You do not want to delaminate/detach the tabs rendering the heater useless.

Also be sure your ignition/accessory is not on and don't short the wires; which shouldn't happen if the car is off. If you're really worried disconnect the battery, which I didn't do because I didn't want to mess with the electronics or settings being reset (IDK if they do, too lazy to google). I also do electrical/mechanical work so I'm fairly comfortable with that stuff, you do you.

You may need to fold your mirror assembly in/out for better angles. If the plastic is cold be careful, support the screw-posts while screwing in. Just generally be careful and aware that too much force could break it.

Also, the center plastic piece around the mirror actuator.. it should have a couple tabs that you will bolt through from the vehicle's rear-end side housing to the front-end housing. I accidentally secured the front-end housing to this piece first and snapped the housings together and then had to undo them.. which is where clip breaking should have occurred if at any time in the install lol. This was honestly the most difficult part because I was scared I would break the tabs. So avoid making this mistake and it'll be a breeze.

Just take your time, you'll really feel stupid if you break it a second time ;)

Good luck man, I'm gonna need an update!

ADS

First Name
Denis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Hi, how did you make you replacing yours?
did the same thing last night :( got distracted due to the snow storm here in Gta…
similarly on mine, i think just need to replace the housing front and back (kind of similar to the yt video shared)
May i know where do you get your parts from and part numbers?
I think i’m going to check w/ dealer too and see how much they quote
Sponsored