Helmets and headroom for track use?

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
I'm a pretty short guy (5'8") and even with the seat at its lowest height, no recline, my helmet brushes against the headliner of my Civic EX-T. I didn't notice it before because I'd never worn a helmet in this car. Now that I have, i'm wondering if any of the taller guys have issues racing this car. I'm worried about damaging the headliner. Do the Si seats sit lower? Is my helmet just abnormally large?

I'm confused because I fit in the BR-Z with my helmet just fine and I feel like the interior of that car is much smaller.
Sponsored

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I have a Simpson helmet and am 5'10'' i noticed that my helmet was basically resting on the headliner near the window. It is a very tight fit up there for some reason. i only have 1 track session in will have more next summer but i found that pulling back the sunvisor uptop frees up a little more space on that side.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I'm a pretty short guy (5'8") and even with the seat at its lowest height, no recline,...
You'll have to recline it, I guess.

I haven't worn my helmet in my FK7 yet, but in my EP3, I had to recline the seatback a few degrees more than usual before cinching down the seatbelt.

I've got pretty good headroom despite being 6'1" if I drop the seat low, but I like it a little higher for a better view anyway. Maybe I should try the helmet out just for kicks.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
The sunroof compromises headroom.

With no recline, I brush the roof too. Luckily I can still turn my head, as I prefer not to have the back reclined anytime I'm doing something that involves a helmet.

OP
OP
ElementalHonda

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
I have a Simpson helmet and am 5'10'' i noticed that my helmet was basically resting on the headliner near the window. It is a very tight fit up there for some reason. i only have 1 track session in will have more next summer but i found that pulling back the sunvisor uptop frees up a little more space on that side.
I have a Zamp helmet I bought from Summit racing last year. It might be the vent at the top of the helmet. I’ll have to try removing it.

You'll have to recline it, I guess.

I haven't worn my helmet in my FK7 yet, but in my EP3, I had to recline the seatback a few degrees more than usual before cinching down the seatbelt.

I've got pretty good headroom despite being 6'1" if I drop the seat low, but I like it a little higher for a better view anyway. Maybe I should try the helmet out just for kicks.
My headroom is perfect if I move the seat back so I’m sitting closer to the center of the sunroof, but then my pedal work is not where I’d like it to be cause I have short legs. I don’t like reclining because racing that way doesn’t feel right. I feel like my back should be straight.

The sunroof compromises headroom.

With no recline, I brush the roof too. Luckily I can still turn my head, as I prefer not to have the back reclined anytime I'm doing something that involves a helmet.
Yeah I figured that. I don’t like reclining either. I guess I’ll have to keep experimenting.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
My headroom is perfect if I move the seat back so I’m sitting closer to the center of the sunroof, but then my pedal work is not where I’d like it to be cause I have short legs. I don’t like reclining because racing that way doesn’t feel right. I feel like my back should be straight.
I didn't like reclining, either. I just dealt with it anyway.

(not to "mansplain", but here goes anyway.. lol)
Here's how I buckled in:

1. Slide the seat bottom all the way back
2. Recline the seatback just enough to let my head not hit the ceiling too much
3. Buckle the seatbelt
4. Push my body as deep as I can into the seatback and exhale as much as I can
5. Reach up with my right hand above my left shoulder and give the seatbelt a sharp TUG to lock the take-up wheel
6. Reach down with my left hand and pull the lever to slide the seat as far forward as I can, holding the seatbelt locked until it feels tight against my torso
7. Profit?

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Country flag
All my previous car I always have to put in a bucket seat and slider in lowest position to help with clearance. With the civic sI recline the seat back two notches for now. I do plan to take the civic to the track and see how I do with stock seat, but I have to maintain the daily duties of the civic.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I'm a hair over 5'9 and I never felt above me to see how much clearance I have but I HAVE clearance above my helmet (LS Stream). I guess I must just sit a little more "gangster" than some of you!

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I am three pumps upwards from being completely bottomed out to the floor.
Seat is "3 ticks" allowing me a slight recline for the back. 2 ticks would make me feel too too hunched over.
Steering wheel I raise it all the way up and slowly let it drop. It stops a little above the halfway point.
Wrists break over the wheel.
Can blip throttle to rev match perfectly fine. Don't need that heel toe.
Have about 1 and a half finger clearance until I hit the liner. Never thought about opening the sunroof eather.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a pretty short guy (5'8") and even with the seat at its lowest height, no recline, my helmet brushes against the headliner of my Civic EX-T. I didn't notice it before because I'd never worn a helmet in this car. Now that I have, i'm wondering if any of the taller guys have issues racing this car. I'm worried about damaging the headliner. Do the Si seats sit lower? Is my helmet just abnormally large?

I'm confused because I fit in the BR-Z with my helmet just fine and I feel like the interior of that car is much smaller.
I'm 5'-8", and I fit just fine ... with my seat in it's normal position, and the helmet on, I still have about an inch of clearance to the headliner.

Honda Civic 10th gen Helmets and headroom for track use? 20200312_170422
Sponsored