John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello group! :wave:

I'm looking to start doing some simple local Auto-X racing.
I know that helmets are totally "personal preference" for fit ... but does anyone have suggestions on where to start looking?
There are several motorcycle shops in my area ... is that a good place to start looking?

Does anyone want to share any opinions on full face vs. open face?
Visor vs. flip down Shield?

Are there any helmets that work well with wearing glasses?

Thanks for any advice you provide.
Sponsored

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
Helmets are a personal preference and not all manufacturer helmets the same shape. Some like Bell, others like GForce or similar brands. I went to a local shop and test fit helmets to see which brand fit my head and then did a little research. Keep in mind, you can run autocross events with a wider range of helmets including motorcycle helmets, but many track day entities will only let you run with SA (special application) helmets so keep that in mind. With the release of the new 2020 certification helmets later this year, you will see some great deals on SA2015 which gets you through a decent number of years.

OP
OP
bugboy32337

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Helmets are a personal preference and not all manufacturer helmets the same shape. Some like Bell, others like GForce or similar brands. I went to a local shop and test fit helmets to see which brand fit my head and then did a little research. Keep in mind, you can run autocross events with a wider range of helmets including motorcycle helmets, but many track day entities will only let you run with SA (special application) helmets so keep that in mind. With the release of the new 2020 certification helmets later this year, you will see some great deals on SA2015 which gets you through a decent number of years.
Thanks ...

You say you went to a local shop ... what KIND of local shop?
Was it a Motorcycle shop?

I do realize that SA2020 standards will come out in October ... and that SA2020 helmets will probably start coming out in 2021 ... and that some great deals should start to pop up.

However, I am going to want a helmet for some spring events. :cool:

PCHAU86

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport HB
Country flag
View attachment 197728 just like what @Z3papa stated If you're looking to just autocross you can go to your local motorcycle shop and try on helmets, however if you are looking to do other track day events (ex.NASA) you will need to get a SA (special application) helmet. You can get some really good deals on SA2015 helmets right now if you do some research online. I recently picked up a brand new Racequip SA2015 for a really good price.

View attachment 197728

burglar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
For AX it's something you are wearing for 5 minutes at a time so imo it's not worth overthinking. I got a closed face for my latest one so I can use it for karting too, but had a few M rated open face ones in a row from motorcycle shops and they were fine.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
Thanks ...

You say you went to a local shop ... what KIND of local shop?
Was it a Motorcycle shop?

I do realize that SA2020 standards will come out in October ... and that SA2020 helmets will probably start coming out in 2021 ... and that some great deals should start to pop up.

However, I am going to want a helmet for some spring events. :cool:
Local shop was a motorcycle shop. Both SA2020 and M2020 are coming onto the market this fall. Typically, most places are putting 2015 models on sale now knowing that they may only be good for 5-10 years depending on club, whereas 2020's will be valid longer. if you want a helmet for Spring events, go test fit some, buy a 2015 helmet and have some fun. For autocross only, open face is fine. For track days or carting, full face may be a better choice.

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Possible dumb Q...
I happened to notice helmets rated "SA" and "SAH" is there a difference or does that "H" literally stand for Helmet lol

OP
OP
bugboy32337

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Possible dumb Q...
I happened to notice helmets rated "SA" and "SAH" is there a difference or does that "H" literally stand for Helmet lol
I dunno :dunno:

I haven't seen a SAH helmet designation ... but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

PCHAU86

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
SAH means that the helmet also has FHR (frontal head restraint) capability; in other words connection points for a HANS or Hybrid type head restraint.

OP
OP
bugboy32337

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SAH means that the helmet also has FHR (frontal head restraint) capability; in other words connection points for a HANS or Hybrid type head restraint.
Very cool ... thanks for that info!

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
aaahhh dude thanks! :thumbsup:

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
For Auto-X don't over think it like @burglar said. You won't wear it nearly that long to notice a difference. Last year I finally decided to ditch my old open face Bell helmet for a closed face one that I could also take with me for karting. I read tons of reviews and listened to friends advice and made my decision on the HJC AR-10 III. Its not a super expensive helmet nor is it super cheap, I thought it was a good medium. That being said when it comes to something that can literally safe your life you shouldnt really try to cheap out on safety.

I found this article good when making my decision on the HJC.
https://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/the-10-best-auto-racing-helmets/

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
I'm looking for a place to try on SA rated helmets and I'm not that far from you. The only place I know of is Wine County Motorsports which has a location in Jupiter, FL. I need to look again though because there should be a place in Jacksonville that sells more than just motorcycle helmets.

PCHAU86

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The wife got me this racequip sa2015 helmet for Christmas. I’m impressed with the quality and the price was great. Only $145.

358FBD13-3730-47AD-AEA6-342416DE4FB3.jpeg
That's a really nice color helment!
Sponsored