Hello! Where do I Start? What was your first Mod?

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Hey all, been watching the CTRs since they first came out. Finally drove mine off the lot today (2020 CTR Polished Metal)! Yea me :)

I'm overwhelmed with the possibilities and not sure where I should start. What was the first mod you made to your CTR? Would you recommend it to others?

My car will be my daily, but I don't commute much in normal times so am expecting less than 5k miles annually for that. Would like to get out on the track's nearby, but admittedly am nervous to dent my baby! I do want to make sure I keep the car so that I can revert any changes to OEM some day, Living in central Arizona, the shiftier knob is perhaps something that's going to require a change from a metal knob soon. Any thoughts on the red OEM knob? Others? I've also read a bit about heat issues, and have read the recent thread on hood venting, but that seemed inconclusive. What about the LED light kit? Is that still applicable for the 2020?

~Dan
R-37472
Sponsored

Last edited:

Broin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 CW Type R, '19 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Congrats! Iā€™m picking mine up next week :)

Most people say the first thing you should do is PPF and ceramic coating to protect the paint. Next is probably bumping down to 18ā€ wheels and perhaps rock guards as Iā€™ve been told these cars kick up rocks like crazy.

Besides that, what Iā€™m personally doing is no performance or suspension mods for at least the first year. I would recommend getting familiar and learning the car in its stock form before making any big changes.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Just drive it for a while, enjoy it, then see if there is anything YOU want to change on it.

Outside of that - mudflaps - get them asap this car kicks up stones 24/7

Everyone's mod needs are different, some don't even exist lol. I can't find anything I want to change on the car so just getting a tint at some point. Car screams stock - if you're going heavy track use you may want to increase airflow a bit but it depends how track focused you are.

Enjoy the car!

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Suggest PFF for the front end, ceramic coat + window tint as first mod followed by a PCV oil catch can if your car is a long term keeper :)

xEVIDENS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8
Country flag
Bought mine slightly used. Previous owner added PPF and tinted windows. I just ordered the PRL HVI. Next is window visors and mudflaps. Swift springs and shopping around for rims next.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Thanks all :)

Not too track focused yet. Have a strong longing to get there, but Life is real so...

Suggest PFF for the front end, ceramic coat ...
Going to admit my ignorance here... I've seen "PFF" mentioned often on the forums, but I have no idea what it is referring to. And Google Tells me it's Pro Fantasy Football *G* Please help!

Smoked side markers
I've seen this before and its on my list. Any specific ones? (Note, I've got Polished Metal)

As I've gone through things, been curious about 2 things... What 'regular' Civic things fit the Type R? And what things do I need to make sure fit a CTR? And, is there a list of what fits/doesn't fit a 2020 versus previous years?

And, rather than starting a new thread... I pulled out my owners manual last night, and it's for a Civic Hatchback. Did the dealer give me the right book?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hey all, been watching the CTRs since they first came out. Finally drove mine off the lot today (2020 CTR Polished Metal)! Yea me :)

I'm overwhelmed with the possibilities and not sure where I should start. What was the first mod you made to your CTR? Would you recommend it to others?

My car will be my daily, but I don't commute much in normal times so am expecting less than 5k miles annually for that. Would like to get out on the track's nearby, but admittedly am nervous to dent my baby! I do want to make sure I keep the car so that I can revert any changes to OEM some day, Living in central Arizona, the shiftier knob is perhaps something that's going to require a change from a metal knob soon. Any thoughts on the red OEM knob? Others? I've also read a bit about heat issues, and have read the recent thread on hood venting, but that seemed inconclusive. What about the LED light kit? Is that still applicable for the 2020?

~Dan
R-37472
First two mods that are most recommended are paint protection film (PPF) and rock guards. You can look at other shifter knobs, the red leather accessory knob is going to feel very notchy and mechanical compared to the stock 2020 shift knob (it should have about the same throw length). It'll also be a lot lighter. Another option is to have your stock shift knob wrapped by someone like SWEIDIT (I think it costs 70-80), though he's been swamped lately (won't be taking orders until mid July).

As for track work, Acuity recently released it's flow-reversing radiator tubes. You can also look into upgrading the stock 2020 radiator (though that's been updated for 2020 as well). Oil coolers are also very popular, though a lot of them utilize cutting holes into the driver-side fake vents which are changed for 2020. Some people will also use an aftermarket intercooler, though Honda Performance Development still runs a stock intercooler for track work. If you choose to go with an intercooler, a tube and fin design may be beneficial over a bar and plate. Finally an aftermarket hood can help evacuate hot air from the hood, though people have had mixed results running them (some quote 0 gain from running no hood).

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
As I've gone through things, been curious about 2 things... What 'regular' Civic things fit the Type R? And what things do I need to make sure fit a CTR? And, is there a list of what fits/doesn't fit a 2020 versus previous years?

And, rather than starting a new thread... I pulled out my owners manual last night, and it's for a Civic Hatchback. Did the dealer give me the right book?
PPF = paint protection film. Regular civic side markers will not work with the Type R. Realistically, the only stuff that is going to be cross compatible is interior stuff; body-wise the doors, mirror, hatch, are the main areas where parts are swappable.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup, the CTR owner manual is actually the the same one used for the Civic Hatchback. The Type R specific stuff is denoted by "2.0L engine models only" which, considering you can only get the 1.5L turbo motor on the hatchback EXCEPT on the Type R, means that information is for Type R owners only.

UDEL09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
I've seen this before and its on my list. Any specific ones? (Note, I've got Polished Metal)
So I just ordered smoked ones for my RR. On amazon, the two ā€œcheapā€ options are IJDMToys and the DEPO ($45-55). Based on reviews, I went with the IJDM ones. Nicer LED versions include Unity and Suma Performance but they are back ordered on the smoked versions. If you wanted clear, other users have also been using the OEM Philippine and JDM markers for the clear look. There may be other options but these seem to be the most popular based on my time spent going through the threads!

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
First mod I did was the flashing brake lights. Love them. Second was GReddy dual tip exhaust ?congrats and welcome!
Sponsored