Hello. New here.

Masjf121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 EX
Hello guys. I bought my 2016 civic EX a month ago, and I found out the mileage is currently 10.7L/100KM.
Is this normal or not? Btw, I haven't driven it on highway yet, all 500 Km are city driving.
Sponsored

greg_in_canada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Seems high. Are you an aggressive driver? When you accelerate are the lights above the instruments white or green?

OP
OP

Masjf121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 EX
I always drive on ECO mode. I just got my license, but I don't think I'm an aggressive driver.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Take it off Eco mode and watch the lights. If you have the full display, you can watch the turbo gauge. It shouldn't go higher than 2 or 3 bars under 'sedate' driving conditions. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect the mileage to be that low even with city driving. I can't think of any Canadian city that would be hilly or traffic-filled enough for it to even come close.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Definitely high.

I average 7.0L/100km, and that's 75% city driving. On highways only I've gotten as low as 4.8 lol.

Do keep and eye on the green/white indicator, keep ECO off, and be careful with your foot.
The cars throttle is surprisingly sensitive, and slightly letting off will keep you at the same speed but drastically improve your fuel economy. You don't have to grannyfoot (I don't, I'm in late twenties lol) to get decent economy.

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
Thats roughly about 22mpg which if you are in heavy CITY driving, meaning at stoplights, accelerating just to come to a stop again then I would say that is about right. I am near washington DC and I get even less than that. The system decreases the MPG drastically when you are stopped entirely.

Take it off Eco mode and watch the lights. If you have the full display, you can watch the turbo gauge. It shouldn't go higher than 2 or 3 bars under 'sedate' driving conditions. Otherwise, I wouldn't expect the mileage to be that low even with city driving. I can't think of any Canadian city that would be hilly or traffic-filled enough for it to even come close.
If he has the EX model he wouldn't have a turbo engine... Unless it is different in Canada?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Oops, I thought I read EX-T as well. But in terms of mileage, the difference in L/100km should be in the decimals, not whole numbers.

I'd average 13L/100km in my modified V6 Accord, so 10.0 is still pretty terrible.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
Why is Eco mode bad????

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why is Eco mode bad????
ECON isn't bad, per se. But my own experience is that it doesn't really make that much of a difference in mixed driving. I only saw about a +1 mpg gain between ECON and regular Drive modes. Now put this baby is Sport mode? Yeah, it dropped like -5 mpg on the same route. ECON mode seems to cap the turbo boost and cuts the AC more frequently to help improve fuel efficiency among other things. Perhaps on all city driving the ECON might be more effective since there's a lot of starting and stopping.

Here's an excerpt from TorqueNews.com about what ECON mode does (keep in mind I think they're referring to the 9th gen but I'm fairly certain it still works pretty much the same way):

Looking to the low displacement 4-cylinder engine, ECON works a bit differently

Here’s how ECON saves Civic drivers a few dollars when used in conjunction with the fuel-economy optimization meter front and center on the dash.

By limiting the mid-range depression movement of the drive-by-wire throttle (you can feel it fighting you) ECON mode in Civic limits fuel delivery to the throttle body. At the same time active horsepower draining features such as the air conditioner- cycling changes.

You may note the air conditioning compressor coming on and shutting off more often than usual. In hot weather it is recommended that you don’t run continuously in ECON mode. Your cab temperature will run hotter than usual.

In CVT equipped models and older conventional automatic transmission equipped Civic, ECON mode modifies the shift pattern for fuel efficiency. You may notice this change when driving up a grade at speed. Your Civic will not downshift as readily when compared to selected normal or spot-mode for Civic if so equipped.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
ECON isn't bad, per se. But my own experience is that it doesn't really make that much of a difference in mixed driving. I only saw about a +1 mpg gain between ECON and regular Drive modes. Now put this baby is Sport mode? Yeah, it dropped like -5 mpg on the same route. ECON mode seems to cap the turbo boost and cuts the AC more frequently to help improve fuel efficiency among other things. Perhaps on all city driving the ECON might be more effective since there's a lot of starting and stopping.

Here's an excerpt from TorqueNews.com about what ECON mode does (keep in mind I think they're referring to the 9th gen but I'm fairly certain it still works pretty much the same way):

Looking to the low displacement 4-cylinder engine, ECON works a bit differently

Here’s how ECON saves Civic drivers a few dollars when used in conjunction with the fuel-economy optimization meter front and center on the dash.

By limiting the mid-range depression movement of the drive-by-wire throttle (you can feel it fighting you) ECON mode in Civic limits fuel delivery to the throttle body. At the same time active horsepower draining features such as the air conditioner- cycling changes.

You may note the air conditioning compressor coming on and shutting off more often than usual. In hot weather it is recommended that you don’t run continuously in ECON mode. Your cab temperature will run hotter than usual.

In CVT equipped models and older conventional automatic transmission equipped Civic, ECON mode modifies the shift pattern for fuel efficiency. You may notice this change when driving up a grade at speed. Your Civic will not downshift as readily when compared to selected normal or spot-mode for Civic if so equipped.
Good to know, thanks. I'm looking gorward to using sport mode :spaz::drive:

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good to know, thanks. I'm looking gorward to using sport mode :spaz::drive:
Sport mode is great around town but on the highway it seems pretty useless, IMHO. Race ya later! :cool::cool::cool:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Why is Eco mode bad????
Eco mode isn't "bad" per se, but it cripples performance so severely, that you end up pressing harder on the gas pedal just to get to an acceptable speed within a reasonable amount of time.

I use it exclusively on the highway with ACC; I can't stand it in the city lol
Sponsored