Hello. 2019 honda civic (base model) New to hondas and find this very strange.

coluk003

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HONDA CIVIC
Country flag
This is the first car brand new i've ever owned and the first car i've driven in 8 years, prior to buying it. The notifications came up at approx 4k miles for an oil change. so i had that done, and then just now it popped again at appro 8k Now in my uneducated car mind im thinking A) that to soon, and isnt this new type of oil it must last longer than that.

I had gone to the dealership previous to this happening and they told me they couldn't provide me with an approximate list of mileage when services would occur. I found that to be strange also. I don't drive at all really and now that i'm home working im lucky if i hit 75 miles in a month, and i do all the things youre suposed to go easy on the gas to get going, slowly down prior to a red light ect ect
Sponsored

lyndean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Distance driven is not the only thing that is taken into account with the maintenance minder. The time between oil changes is also taken into account.

You mentioned it has shown an oil change is needed after 4K miles. How long did it take you to hit 4K miles? Driving only 75 miles a month is actually harder on your engine, because you are probably not getting it up to the proper operating temperature every time you drive. Get out on the road occasionally and put some miles on it.

Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
I am also interested because I have heard that Honda factory Oil they put in brand new cars off the line has special additives to help break the car in. However my car was produced in October 2019 which would make the oil about a year old so it needs to be changed regardless I’m just wondering if I should get as many miles in as possible before I do so?

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
The number one factor in determining oil changes timing is "cold starts". Every time you start your car cold, it ticks down to the next oil change.

If you do a lot of short, infrequent drives, you will get fewer miles between oil changes. If you do frequent long drives, you will get more miles between oil changes. This is why some drivers get more than 10,000 miles between oil changes and some people get less than 2,000 miles between oil changes.

To spread out your oil changes, save up all of your errands and do them all in one go.
Sponsored