Hella horns

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
I did take the time to read the Hella horn threads on this forum before posting. Because of the work I put into this, I thought it worthy of its own thread. What you see here is one set of Hella “Sharptones” and one set of Hella “Supertones”. I used aluminum “angle iron” and a rivet gun to fabricate the brackets. One of the relays provided by Hella was found defective and thrown away, the second relay worked fine for a while but eventually became suspect. I ordered a 75 amp Bosch/Tyco relay and it is working great. Prior to ordering the oversized relay, I did go to the Hella factory website and utilizing their data to compute total amperage draw, I found that one of the Hella relays should’ve been able to handle the current draw of all four horns. I used the voltage from the factory OEM horn lead to provide a signal voltage to the relay, all wiring was covered with conduit and a fused circuit is directly tied to the battery to provide current to the horn relay circuit to the horns. Legal disclaimer, I’m not a licensed electrician nor a car mechanic, follow all manufacturer’s instructions, your mileage may vary.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hella horns 5618B733-2748-4AF1-8CBA-1B0F73882FA0
Sponsored

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would you be willing to show/go in more detail how you went about wiring the horns? I've got a pair that I'll be installing here soon

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would you be willing to show/go in more detail how you went about wiring the horns? I've got a pair that I'll be installing here soon
1982CBS wrote everything to do the job;

" I used the voltage from the factory OEM horn lead to provide a signal voltage to the relay, all wiring was covered with conduit and a fused circuit is directly tied to the battery to provide current to the horn relay circuit to the horns. "

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1982CBS wrote everything to do the job;

" I used the voltage from the factory OEM horn lead to provide a signal voltage to the relay, all wiring was covered with conduit and a fused circuit is directly tied to the battery to provide current to the horn relay circuit to the horns. "
Guess I should have specified that I was looking for pictures to go along with the description.

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I had time i'll do a sketch for you
That'd help a ton! I'm not unfamiliar with wiring but definitely not an expert so having a guideline to follow would help.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can find many sketch with Google.
With some search you my find right wiring for 10th gen Civic

Short answer;
Disconnect your actual horn.
Plug it to the 12 volts relay coil include in the Hella kit ( https://www.smyperformance.com/hella-sharptones-horn-kit.html )
Your Civic horn from the steering wheel must drive the relay coil , not the Hella horn. Relay is a must because Hella Horn drive too much current.

Second picture show a fuse added like 1981 CBX do
Wich fuse power ( amps ) ? look a the Hella horn specs

https://www.civicx.com/threads/hella-horn-mounting.27008/

Honda Civic 10th gen Hella horns Capture d’écran, le 2019-04-22 à 13.45.34

Honda Civic 10th gen Hella horns Capture d’écran, le 2019-04-22 à 13.41.33

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the look! Do you have pics with grill back on? Makes me want to mount the sharptones behind the driver's vent. How do you like the quad tone?
Honda Civic 10th gen Hella horns img_20190614_184841__01

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Sorry to bump this thread, Noticed that someone posted a link for the wiring harness from SMY. I used to own an STi and I know the owner personally of SMY, does that mean I can use the same wiring harness for the hellas on my type r? Thanks!

JayDee

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT & 1995 Honda Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
I did take the time to read the Hella horn threads on this forum before posting. Because of the work I put into this, I thought it worthy of its own thread. What you see here is one set of Hella “Sharptones” and one set of Hella “Supertones”. I used aluminum “angle iron” and a rivet gun to fabricate the brackets. One of the relays provided by Hella was found defective and thrown away, the second relay worked fine for a while but eventually became suspect. I ordered a 75 amp Bosch/Tyco relay and it is working great. Prior to ordering the oversized relay, I did go to the Hella factory website and utilizing their data to compute total amperage draw, I found that one of the Hella relays should’ve been able to handle the current draw of all four horns. I used the voltage from the factory OEM horn lead to provide a signal voltage to the relay, all wiring was covered with conduit and a fused circuit is directly tied to the battery to provide current to the horn relay circuit to the horns. Legal disclaimer, I’m not a licensed electrician nor a car mechanic, follow all manufacturer’s instructions, your mileage may vary.

5618B733-2748-4AF1-8CBA-1B0F73882FA0.jpeg
We want to listen to what these quad horns sound like....!!! @1981CBX

Last edited:

atikovi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight
Country flag
Your Civic horn from the steering wheel must drive the relay coil , not the Hella horn. Relay is a must because Hella Horn drive too much current.
Not sure I understand why. The box for the Hella Supertones says it uses 5.5 amps,

Honda Civic 10th gen Hella horns Hella horns amps

and Civic horn circuit has a 10 amp fuse. Should be just fine without adding a relay.
Sponsored