Heat wrapping!!!!

mklfk8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R fk8
For those who has an aftermarket exhaust with front pipe, did you heat wrap it?

If yes, why?
Thanks in advance ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
The factory front pipe has heat shields attached to it, seeing as the aftermarket front pipe is obviously bigger, don’t want to melt the plastic cover lol.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I am having my Invidia R400 exhaust installed next week, and in preparation, I wrapped the front pipe yesterday with DEI fiberglass 2" heat wrap, and used stainless steel zip ties to hold it securely in place. I also got a can of their Hi-Temp Silicone Coating. I talked with them and they said using the hi-temp paint/spray increases the working temp of the heat wrap by 300 degrees or so.

I am surprised that their are no instructions or caution notices with the Invidia kit related to this. i would never have thought to wrap the front pipe unless I had seen the postings about it on this site, and links to videos of DIY installs. Since I am not installing it, I might never have noticed the heat shields on the OEM front pipe to give me a clue that something should be done with the Invidia front pipe.

Last edited:

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
yes, wrapped the front pipe and downpipe with PTP titanium exhaust wrap, used PTP gold foil on the oil pan, transmission, and electronic power steering motor shield where close to the front pipe just to help a little more
You can never be too safe when it comes to heat. I've considered doing the same with my aftermarket exhaust components. Especially since there are no *reliable* ceramic coaters local to me.

OP
OP
mklfk8

mklfk8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R fk8
you guys use stainless tie or hose clamps? is hose clamps, is there a specific one?

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
you guys use stainless tie or hose clamps? is hose clamps, is there a specific one?
Either one works fine, I got mines at Lowe’s, had to go buy some because the steel zip ties that they gave me were too short.

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
i got my ss ties from amazon. worked perfectly. and there's a great video that shows you a trick with a 90 degree pair of pliers to get them nice and tight. got 100 of them for $12, 12" long. have no idea what I am going to do with the 94 I have left :)

tunerguy13

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic type r
yes, wrapped the front pipe and downpipe with PTP titanium exhaust wrap, used PTP gold foil on the oil pan, transmission, and electronic power steering motor shield where close to the front pipe just to help a little more
Can you post some pics to see how you did it and do mines and where you got the ptp titanium wrap thank you in advance man

youCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1292 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Now I'm super paranoid after reading all of this and the original R400 thread. I just threw the R400 on without a second thought...

EDIT: damn...hope nothing is damaged down there. I already had the R400 on for a few weeks.

Last edited:

OP
OP
mklfk8

mklfk8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R fk8
Now I'm super paranoid after reading all of this and the original R400 thread. I just threw the R400 on without a second thought...

EDIT: damn...hope nothing is damaged down there. I already had the R400 on for a few weeks.
i guess if you dont push it all the time like going to the track then i think its fine. You just dont want to have the exhaust to melt the plastic around it and it reduces the heat level = better

typeRkidd

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag