Heat shield rattle?

zombiephysio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (Boost Blue)
Country flag
Hey guys, after installing an Armytrix exhaust on my 2020 CTR, I noticed that around 1800 - 2200 RPM the vibrations of the exhaust resonate with the rectangular heat shield right above the muffler, making it rattle a little. Not sure if this is what people are talking about when they complain of drone? Have any of you experienced this? Any suggested solutions? I thought about just removing the heat shield and protecting whatever is under that panel, but I don't know if that's too wise.

EDIT: The rattle is distinctly at the back end of the car, it does not feel/sound like it is at the front or at the driver's seat.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Drone is an audible resonance. A heat shield can amplify the drone, but they are not the same things.

Try to re-secure the heat shield to remove the rattle.

OP
OP
zombiephysio

zombiephysio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks @aldksgo and @Caestus .

I quickly dropped by a shop and when they physically held the back heat shield, the rattling sound almost went away fully, so I'm thinking it's probably not drone?

I'll have a look at the AWE post and see what's there. Now I'm thinking of a way to either absorb vibrations from the heat shield, or maybe take it off, dunno...

OP
OP
zombiephysio

zombiephysio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

VanceyPants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC5 Type S, EJ6 Hatchback, FK8
Country flag
Sounds like with the AWE exhaust it was a common thing at the front pipe and the heatshield there, but the rattle I am hearing is very much so at the back of the car.
I have the same issue. After I installed my AWE Touring Edition exhaust, I got this rattling noise in the rear. I had my buddy drive my car while I was in the trunk to get this footage

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same issue. After I installed my AWE Touring Edition exhaust, I got this rattling noise in the rear. I had my buddy drive my car while I was in the trunk to get this footage

If it’s coming from the back and if you’ve ever removed the tailgate (hatch) liner, some of the green clips might be damaged or loosen during reinstallation. The louder exhaust just makes the problem more apparent.

https://www.hondapartshq.com/oem-parts/honda-clip-door-lining-apple-green-91560szw003

VanceyPants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1, DC5 Type S, EJ6 Hatchback, FK8
Country flag
If it’s coming from the back and if you’ve ever removed the tailgate (hatch) liner, some of the green clips might be damaged or loosen during reinstallation. The louder exhaust just makes the problem more apparent.

https://www.hondapartshq.com/oem-parts/honda-clip-door-lining-apple-green-91560szw003
I never removed the trunk liner before this video.. Its not the green clips. The sound is still there with the trunk liner and speaker taken off. The sound is coming from underneath.

18FK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R #13440, 2014 Civic LX Daily Beater, 2017 Acura MDX Adv.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this same problem, it turned out to be the top of the canister vibrating against the heat shield. Pulled it down slightly, and I am hoping that fixes it. If not I’m considering forcing something in the exhaust hangers to make it hang just a tiny bit lower.

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
Anyone got the one the seems to be coming from behind the dash more on the passengers side ?

CTR2380

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic type r
Country flag

I put on the AWE touring exhaust and I have that rattle did you find the source and a solution its driving me crazy

18FK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R #13440, 2014 Civic LX Daily Beater, 2017 Acura MDX Adv.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I put on the AWE touring exhaust and I have that rattle did you find the source and a solution its driving me crazy
It is the canister underneath vibrating against the heat shield below the “spare” compartment. 99% positive. I pushed the heat shield up and it relieved 80% of the noise. Need to remove the back section to see what else can be done. Good luck!

CTR2380

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic type r
Country flag
It is the canister underneath vibrating against the heat shield below the “spare” compartment. 99% positive. I pushed the heat shield up and it relieved 80% of the noise. Need to remove the back section to see what else can be done. Good luck!
Yeah I have been trying everything ill go give this a shot to now thanks for the quick response much appreciated

YO_AD2IAN

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
anyone with any updates on how y’all solved the rattle? Tried pushing up the heat shield but still getting noise.

CTR2380

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic type r
Country flag
anyone with any updates on how y’all solved the rattle? Tried pushing up the heat shield but still getting noise.
Yeah I believe I found it if you look at the hangers the bracket for the awe exhaust Is up against the hanger and it hits that making the noise I was dealing hope with that helps i just put duct tape on the hanger end on both sides and the noise went away
Sponsored