Heat issues

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
The other day i made the drive from SD to Vegas. If youve driven that a few times you know the high desert gets hot as hell and theres a bunch of traffic along the way because californians cant drive.
about 190 miles into the drive my ECT was higher than normal (180's) while off throttle/little throttle. whenever id go up hills id downshift to 5th and keep boost either just below 0 or about 1 pound. as the temps got hotter to around 103 was highest i saw, i noticed my ECT temps where up into 212-216. I know the fan is supposed to kick on at 212 but even with that it either stayed at 212 or just above. now my question is once the engine was that hot nothing seemed to cool it down. and i noticed that it seemed like the car was pulling boost haaaard. my MAP would read 20's ish but it felt slower than stock, and that got me a little worried.
This is the first summer for my car out west so this is all new to me, i have a feeling this isnt the first time ill deal with heat issues.
Would going to a 5w30 oil be a good idea since its so hot in the region? if so what are some good ones you guys like?
is there an aftermarket radiator that would help?
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I dont know if the ECU pulls boost with high temps but it definitely pulls ignition timing. You will feel the difference as things heat soak. A bigger intercooler and radiator will help with your ECT and IAT. Could even set up for water injection to control IAT.

If you're somewhere it rarely approaches freezing temps I think 5w30 might be a good choice.

OP
OP
USNengineman

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
I dont know if the ECU pulls boost with high temps but it definitely pulls ignition timing. You will feel the difference as things heat soak. A bigger intercooler and radiator will help with your ECT and IAT. Could even set up for water injection to control IAT.
Yea i got PRL IC but even at that temp the IC gets hot lol. IAT's were like 120-130.
Yea knock also went to .55 even with the 1-1.5 gal of e85. Im pretty sure ECU pulls boost because the car went NOWHERE when i tried lol. Thought my clutch was going at first.
What about the oil? i know 5w30 increased oil pressure which can increase ECT temps but is it a smart move since its hotter and i mix a tiny bit of E in the tank?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yea i got PRL IC but even at that temp the IC gets hot lol. IAT's were like 120-130.
Yea knock also went to .55 even with the 1-1.5 gal of e85. Im pretty sure ECU pulls boost because the car went NOWHERE when i tried lol. Thought my clutch was going at first.
What about the oil? i know 5w30 increased oil pressure which can increase ECT temps but is it a smart move since its hotter and i mix a tiny bit of E in the tank?
Yeah I added an edit to my post. If you're running ethanol in a typically warm environment I think 5w30 could be worth trying out.

Unless you wanna start venting the hood and stuff, I don't have too much else to add on managing temps

OP
OP
USNengineman

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
Yeah I added an edit to my post. If you're running ethanol in a typically warm environment I think 5w30 could be worth trying out.

Unless you wanna start venting the hood and stuff, I don't have too much else to add on managing temps
i appreciate it man! maybe a vented hood would be a good idea!

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Do you have an aftermarket oil cooler?
Can the fans be set to run at a constant high speed using hondata or an additional switch/relay?

OP
OP
USNengineman

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
Do you have an aftermarket oil cooler?
Can the fans be set to run at a constant high speed using hondata or an additional switch/relay?
i do not but i was just looking at the mishimoto and sirimoto ones. Im just not too informed on how they perform.
and i dont think ktuner allows for fan control

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
It's not too difficult to run a permanent live via a swich and relay to the fans so you can overide the thermistors/thermostats when you feel the need to. I'm not too sure if this will help though as it's likely they will be running on full chat due to temps anyway. A larger radiator/fan would help though.
I had a progressive run in the civic last week and when I lifted the bonnet, the metal housing on my mishimoto intake was disgustingly hot, and it wasn't even possible to touch the intake pipe as this was glowing. The civic is a hot runner regardless it seems. You could spend heaps but with no real improvements. The vented bonnet seems to work. It all depends on how arsed you can be to justify the end gains.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Have you looked into a radiator spray? It's an old trick where you spray water on the front of your radiator. Like any water injection it has it's capacity limits, but in the desert where the humidity is non existent, it can really make a difference.

That being said, thermal conductivity of dry air is greater than moist air. So theoretically, in a hot desert where you need the most efficient heat transfer, is the place where you are going to get it. Though you still have the problem of the decreased delta between the two temperature points.

Humidity and cooling

Interestingly, for those of us in non-metricated countries, a 180 degree thermostat is operating at about 85 degrees Celsius.

Last edited:

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
i do not but i was just looking at the mishimoto and sirimoto ones. Im just not too informed on how they perform.
and i dont think ktuner allows for fan control
I’m pretty sure the ac should kick on the fans regardless of temperature. Is it not turning on or is it so hot that the fans can’t keep up? Is it time for a radiator fluid change? I’m constantly driving hrs in 100+ degree weather in the summer. The most I seen on my temps at 176 in all seasons. Now my temps hover at 190 and it isn’t summer yet. My fans are almost always running. I may have to change the fluid soon.

OP
OP
USNengineman

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
I’m pretty sure the ac should kick on the fans regardless of temperature. Is it not turning on or is it so hot that the fans can’t keep up? Is it time for a radiator fluid change? I’m constantly driving hrs in 100+ degree weather in the summer. The most I seen on my temps at 176 in all seasons. Now my temps hover at 190 and it isn’t summer yet. My fans are almost always running. I may have to change the fluid soon.
man i got 14k miles, this shit better not need to be changed yet!!
i might look into the koyorad and bigger fan. anyone done it??

OP
OP
USNengineman

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
pulled the trigger and got the koyorad radiator with MAP hoses!
i have no idea when ill be able to put it in but whenever i do ill report temps and changes!
Sponsored