Headunit "stuck" on guidance volume when using CarPlay

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
My 2019 CTR has been having an issue that I'm guessing is an Apple issue where, when I open Waze when plugged into CarPlay, the headunit changes from music volume to "guidance" volume. The only way I'm able to fix it is to close Waze on my iPhone and not open Waze while I drive, which is a big issue as Waze regularly saves me by warning of road debris and hidden police radar.

Has anyone else noticed this? I found someone with the same issue on the 10th gen Civic platform via Reddit

I never use guidance voice or volume, so if anyone knows how to permanently disable guidance volume, that would be a solution for me. Otherwise, I'm looking to see if others have had this issue or if anyone's found a resolution. Thanks
Sponsored

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This issue has popped up for me before this current iOS/Waze version and it's been doing it again. What I do is bring up a route in Waze so it'll start navigating. That alone will fix it, but I then also exit the planned route and I'm good to go.

zakarybeach

First Name
Zakary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si - Sedan
Country flag
Yeah ive also been having the issue where when mapping with Waze, the music volume will cut over into the "Siri/Voice" volume and is super quiet. I usually just unplug and replug and it goes back to normal radio volume. Super annoying, you arent the only one affected.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I have this problem. It just started maybe 2 weeks ago. And it does involve use of Waze.

what I do is either cycle thru fm/am/carplay. Or airplane mode my phone for a couple of seconds/disconnect phone from cable.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
this just started for me too with Waze. I unplug then plug it back in. very annoying

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Honestly the headunit doesn’t update much. This is totally a Waze issue if all these people are using wAze and are running into this problem. Will probably get fixed next app update.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I'm not certain this is strictly a Waze bug. CarPlay on my truck works fine with Waze. It's only a problem on my CTR. Started over the weekend.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
My 2019 CTR has been having an issue that I'm guessing is an Apple issue where, when I open Waze when plugged into CarPlay, the headunit changes from music volume to "guidance" volume. The only way I'm able to fix it is to close Waze on my iPhone and not open Waze while I drive, which is a big issue as Waze regularly saves me by warning of road debris and hidden police radar.

Has anyone else noticed this? I found someone with the same issue on the 10th gen Civic platform via Reddit

I never use guidance voice or volume, so if anyone knows how to permanently disable guidance volume, that would be a solution for me. Otherwise, I'm looking to see if others have had this issue or if anyone's found a resolution. Thanks
Mine did this for a split second when Waze started. I actually do think it's a Waze problem as it's the only app that does that and it does additional weird stuff when I use Wireless CarPlay. I think it runs it's alerts through a different volume channel as well.

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 BBP Civic Type R, 2022 AB Civic Touring
Country flag
Same issue. Like some said above I start a route then cancel. The volume will go back to normal after Waze gives audible direction or warning.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
I have this as well, I even have my Waze muted. I will test further and try to file a bug with Waze as Honda will never update this POS software.

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
Just going to chime in to say I have the same issue as well. Haven't found a clear cut way to fix it either. So I am in for a work around.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have this as well, I even have my Waze muted. I will test further and try to file a bug with Waze as Honda will never update this POS software.
It’s not a Honda issue. It’s either an Apple issue or in this case I actually think it’s a Waze issue.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
Given the amount of issues with this head unit and lack of any updates, I would not fully blame waze as the same phone and app work fine on other units in my garage. It might be a moot point with the new version of ios dropping very soon.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Given the amount of issues with this head unit and lack of any updates, I would not fully blame waze as the same phone and app work fine on other units in my garage. It might be a moot point with the new version of ios dropping very soon.
The fact that it only occurs with the Waze app kind of says something though. Waze routes their audio in very weird ways for whatever reason. This gets even more apparent when you use Wireless CarPlay with Waze.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
I hope you are right, because if it is Honda's buggy implementation from a few years ago they are not going to fix it anytime soon. There is also a big Waze update expected soon, will see if that makes this better or worse.

The fact that it only occurs with the Waze app kind of says something though. Waze routes their audio in very weird ways for whatever reason. This gets even more apparent when you use Wireless CarPlay with Waze.
Sponsored