Headunit lockout bypass

BoringOhio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
With the recent hack for European Honda android systems being able to install apps it brings hope for other versions. They're able to install apps like waze. Since it's an app it's still crippled by the motion lockout. Older hondas can by temporarily turn off by the vsp or distractive driver settings but the new civic doesn't work the same. Bypassing the unit and understanding the can system is a step forward for me.
Whoa, do you have a link to where they discuss being able to install apps on the Euro android system? That sounds promising. How did they do it?

Oh, and that guy you quoted must have never heard of this thing called a "passenger". Though based on the lockout it seems like Honda hasn't either...
Sponsored

nurvcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC TOURING 1.5L TURBO CVT 4DR // 2001 IS300 2JZ 3.0L // 2000 F250 CCSB 7.3L
Country flag
YAAAAAA now i can blow 200 buck lol

neilm68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Civic LX Sedan, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Don't look at it as a negative way. Your idea for its use is different than mine. I'm just trying to understand the car better. With the recent hack for European Honda android systems being able to install apps it brings hope for other versions. They're able to install apps like waze. Since it's an app it's still crippled by the motion lockout. Older hondas can by temporarily turn off by the vsp or distractive driver settings but the new civic doesn't work the same. Bypassing the unit and understanding the can system is a step forward for me.

Can you detail the steps to deploy this in the Civic? I believe I read a post you authored on a Pilot forum site where you "split two wires and connected the power and ground." I'm planning a 2 week road trip in the 2nd half of August and if this is a seamless installation for the Civic, I'll give this investment strong consideration for that trip. Thanks in advance! Any detail you can provide would be appreciated. I have zero interest in watching videos but if the passenger is able to control the onboard nav system while the vehicle is in motion, I think that would be beneficial.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Last edited:

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is the reply from Naviks:

Hi, we have yet to test our device on a Honda Civic with navigation all rent a car vehicles we have been able to locate have been bare bones no Android radio. We will save your contact info and will send you an email soon as we verify our device works. Thank you

They are location is 224 Kings Highway, 3rd Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11223 Phone: 1-866-628-0677

I bet they would hook someone up with a free unit if you supply the beta car.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Whoa, do you have a link to where they discuss being able to install apps on the Euro android system? That sounds promising. How did they do it?

Oh, and that guy you quoted must have never heard of this thing called a "passenger". Though based on the lockout it seems like Honda hasn't either...
It is due to the huge liability risk, established from years of litigation due to safety risks involved.

Whatever you guys are going to do better be easily reversed if you wreck the car and insurance gets involved, because those system warnings when you boot up are there to put 100% of the responsibility on you.

MisterEnigma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Here is the reply from Naviks:

Hi, we have yet to test our device on a Honda Civic with navigation all rent a car vehicles we have been able to locate have been bare bones no Android radio. We will save your contact info and will send you an email soon as we verify our device works. Thank you

They are location is 224 Kings Highway, 3rd Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11223 Phone: 1-866-628-0677

I bet they would hook someone up with a free unit if you supply the beta car.
Oh wow, I don't live too far from them.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is due to the huge liability risk, established from years of litigation due to safety risks involved.

Whatever you guys are going to do better be easily reversed if you wreck the car and insurance gets involved, because those system warnings when you boot up are there to put 100% of the responsibility on you.
They would have to prove that you were using it at the time of the wreck. No offense, but stop being everyone Dad.