First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess i'll spend the extra dough on Morimoto's for this car. I don't wanna install something that's going to destroy my factory wiring. I just didn't understand why DDM has 3 different relay types. I've used DDM for my 2010 Accord Crosstour EX-L and the 8th Civic. The HID's in the 8th lasted 6 years before the car got totaled and the Crosstour is still going strong 3 years later so i've been pretty happy with them. Never used relays but I understand the 10th needs them. Any reason why Honda changed the headlight wiring so we need relays now?
No car NEEDS them for HID to function properly., but EVERY care SHOULD have them if you install HIDs.

The problem with not using a relay is the HID draws more amps when you turn it on than a standard halogen bulb. The factory wires are gauged to handle the draw from the halogen bulb, so they are much thinner than a wire that can handle the HID draw.

Having HID amperage through a thin wire generates lots of heat. That heat will cause the insulation to fail, causing corrosion or shorts if it melts against the body or another wire.

A relay kit is just a safety precaution to make sure you never catch fire. A relay is just a electronically controlled switch. By installing a relay with HID your connecting your new HID kit directly to the battery and using the OEM wiring to make the connection between the HID and battery.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No car NEEDS them for HID to function properly., but EVERY care SHOULD have them if you install HIDs.

The problem with not using a relay is the HID draws more amps when you turn it on than a standard halogen bulb. The factory wires are gauged to handle the draw from the halogen bulb, so they are much thinner than a wire that can handle the HID draw.

Having HID amperage through a thin wire generates lots of heat. That heat will cause the insulation to fail, causing corrosion or shorts if it melts against the body or another wire.

A relay kit is just a safety precaution to make sure you never catch fire. A relay is just a electronically controlled switch. By installing a relay with HID your connecting your new HID kit directly to the battery and using the OEM wiring to make the connection between the HID and battery.
Yeah sorry, I should have said needs them with an aftermarket HID kit. If your car came with HID headlights then no need.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah sorry, I should have said needs them with an aftermarket HID kit. If your car came with HID headlights then no need.
I actually wrote that the same time you did. It looks like I kind of directed that at you, but I didn't :p

The issue is most people don't know what a relay is or how simple they are. 12v electrical is intimidating to most people, but it's all so simple when it comes to car accessories.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
I actually wrote that the same time you did. It looks like I kind of directed that at you, but I didn't :p

The issue is most people don't know what a relay is or how simple they are. 12v electrical is intimidating to most people, but it's all so simple when it comes to car accessories.
Thanks for the good info guys. Appreciate ya!

methan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - MSM
Country flag
I don't deal with DDM. TheRetrofitSource is so friendly and helpful, I don't bother. Morimoto products are absolute top quality also. I have the XB55 HIDs in my retrofit and I love them! I wouldn't recommend 55w in the OEM lamps tho, stick with 35w.

The Morimoto relay harness is incredibly well built. It has 2 relays, one for each ballast. You absolutely want to run a relay on ANY car, no matter what anybody tells you. It's not a matter of will it work without a relay, it's a matter of how long until the factory wiring fails without a relay.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-install-hid-kits-with-no-risk-of-damaging-factory-wiring.1595/

The high beam inside the reflector style housing will still work independently of the low beam projector. With the relay kit, you will toggle the power to the HID kit with the original H11 headlight socket. Check the above link to see how to install/build a relay if you're not sure how they work or what they do.
Would 55w run too hot or cause some other problems? With the 35w, is down the road lighting pretty good? Debating vetter LED's (currently have hikarilow beams) or HID's

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
I use the stock headlight bulbs... Oh wait...

I feel for you US owners.

Honda Civic 10th gen Headlight Bulbs... dfdf

Ziaro7

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

dfdf.png
now that was uncalled for.

I have the OPT7 flux X installed for headlights and fog lights, it doesn't seem too blinding and lights up the road well.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

dfdf.png
Are you trying to say the factory LED headlights are good?

Would 55w run too hot or cause some other problems? With the 35w, is down the road lighting pretty good? Debating vetter LED's (currently have hikarilow beams) or HID's
55w have a tendency to burn the reflector housing on halogen lamps more than 35w kits do. When you get a lamp designed for HID that isn't an issue.
Honda Civic 10th gen Headlight Bulbs... bulbs-6

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Are you trying to say the factory LED headlights are good?

55w have a tendency to burn the reflector housing on halogen lamps more than 35w kits do. When you get a lamp designed for HID that isn't an issue.
bulbs-6.jpg
I was poking fun at the us owners without the LED headlights. But yes the factory led headlights are actually very good.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I want change my Fog Lights On my Hatchback
But im New to this.
How many Alumins or K potency is the recommend it? I dont want cars to be flashing me at night , I want some good cryspi and clear light for My Fog Lights

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want change my Fog Lights On my Hatchback
But im New to this.
How many Alumins or K potency is the recommend it? I dont want cars to be flashing me at night , I want some good cryspi and clear light for My Fog Lights
Firstly, proof read :)

Doing a H8 to H11 modded halogen bulb is super cheap and an awesome upgrade for your fog lights. All you have to do is file down a small portion of the bulb. I did it with some amber halogens and I love them.
https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/fog-lights-h8-to-h11-mod.81990/

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I tried out the Hikari LEDs first for about a week, but didn't find it to my liking. It seemed to spread the light out too much, rather than focusing it down the roadway. Currently running Morimoto 5500 HIDs. Definitely lights up the road much better.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/led-vs-hid.7597/
To use Morimoto fog lights in my civic Do i need change the wiring or any connections? Or i can just plug the bulb

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the Morimoto XB fogs in my truck and they were direct swaps for the OEM fog lamps. I would assume the Honda's are identical.

In the case of my F150 tho, the XBs are not any brighter than stock halogen. Definitely not worth the $200 I spent on them.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the Morimoto XB fogs in my truck and they were direct swaps for the OEM fog lamps. I would assume the Honda's are identical.

In the case of my F150 tho, the XBs are not any brighter than stock halogen. Definitely not worth the $200 I spent on them.
What type of LED do you use?
Sponsored