Head Unit connectors

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So, I messed up big time.

Using Honda Hack, I "Bricked" my wife's new 2018 SI's HU , and nobody (Dealer or Honda Hack developer) is able to figure out how to get it running again.

So that my wife would start speaking to me again, I had little option but to install a new unit :( -- but I held onto the old one, because I cannot believe that it cannot be reloaded. My winter Project !! )

What I need is at least the "POWER input Plug", so I can put +12v and ACC+ onto the unit, but so far, I have no success in finding even what make/manufacturer the harness plugs are, let alone find a source.
Best suggestion I have had so far is to go find a 2017/2018 in a Junk yard and cut the harness - not so easy to find in Maryland - USA.

So, anyone got any idea what the Connectors are that plug into the Radio HU, and where to get them from (with or without leads) ?? They are NOT the same as the earlier year models, but I think the 2017 & 2018 (and maybe the 2019) radios are the same. (Just each year, more and more features seem to be getting disabled, to DUMB down the already dated & slow Units - maybe fear of a big "Distraction" law Suit ??)

Geoff
Sponsored

turtleboy84

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback sport
Country flag
i dont know if this will help or not but cruthfield sells wiring kits for head units maybe you can head over and take a peek and ask one the online advisors and see if they can help you.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
i dont know if this will help or not but cruthfield sells wiring kits for head units maybe you can head over and take a peek and ask one the online advisors and see if they can help you.
Thanks .. yes, tried most of those sources... most have info on the older units, up to about 2010, but nothing on the newer units. Also, most of the Harness Kits are to connect an aftermarket radio to the existing car's harness... I think the harness that actually plugs into a radio is called a "Reverse Harness", and even for the earlier model cars, those are few and far between.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
How did you brick it? What happened? Hondahack was pretty straightforward for me I went to the website and pushed okay and it did everything.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How did you brick it? What happened? Hondahack was pretty straightforward for me I went to the website and pushed okay and it did everything.
HondaHack ran and installed fine. All was great.

Well, not that Great !~!! I could install and run anything I wanted on the HU, but it fast became really clear, just how under-powered the processor was, and how it slowed down and lagged, if any additional programs were asked to run on it.

Then a few days later, I loaded and was setting up WAZE, and the unit decided to reboot (do not know why .. it was not a Hot day etc etc), but it never started correctly again after that re-boot = just a Black screen.

Reverse Camera, climate control worked, and displayed on the screen (so LCD was not dead), but the Android OS did not boot/load.

If the battery was disconnected for a while, and re-connected, it would start the boot process, Logo would display-- but before it had finished booting to display the 1st Menu, the screen would return to it's black state, and stay there, even after re-booting, and would be back to the state it was before, where it would not display anything during future boots.

Looks like it could some kind of corruption of system file(s), and I cannot get the Unit to go into a recovery mode, or to a point where I can re-load the system software image that I have on a USB drive.

Dealer was really clueless - claimed they talked to Honda California, who also could not help, so the only option left was to replace the unit. The technical Diagnosis from the Dealer was "The thing is FRIED -
Yes sir, CHIPS get FRIED when you COOK them !!"

After the summer, I intend to take a further look at the Bricked unit, and get it running again (Positive Attitude) -- It's just a computer - and at some point in its manufacture, it had NOTHING in it before Mitsubishi first loaded it, so I have a very hard time believing that it is a boat anchor.

Like all computers, things are going to get corrupted and fail, so in the future, knowing how to bring one of these units back from the dead will be very useful knowledge.

So, 1st step is to get some Power to the Unit, which is why I would like to get the correct connectors, rather than powering through a set individual temporary wires (open to connecting to wrong pins etc).
I want a reliable connection setup, where I can work on the unit at a table, and not in a car ( the car not being realistic option in any case - not touching the Unit in the car again, until I have the old unit back up and working again.)

WHEN I am successful, I will share the knowledge

--- to be continued

Last edited:

lohertz

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
I would take a look at AX-DSP-Hon2 - It will get you half way there with speaker ground and acc. I've been looking for harness for both sides so I don't have to splice my wires for the speaker wiring (to no avail) but I was thinking about this just to get the pig tails.
https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-DSP-HON2

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would take a look at AX-DSP-Hon2 - It will get you half way there with speaker ground and acc. I've been looking for harness for both sides so I don't have to splice my wires for the speaker wiring (to no avail) but I was thinking about this just to get the pig tails.
https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-DSP-HON2
Thanks .. I believe these harness assemblies are for when you remove a Honda Radio, and need to connect your new ( different) radio to the existing Honda harness.

What I am looking for is what is often called a REVERSE Harness, that will plug into the Honda Radio, and have wire ends, that can be connected into another car's harness.

Only option I have seen to reliably get the correct Plugs to connect to the 2018 Radio, is to but the Honda Dash Harness -- (about $200 :eek: )
Typically the plastic Plug shells are under $1, and the enough pins for a connector only $2-$3 -- provided you buy in BULK (like 100 connectors of each type)
I only need One harness, so maybe I am stuck with the Pre-Manufactured Honda harness. ( Not many totaled Si in scrapyards around here to go strip parts from )

Btw: $200 online and over $300 from local dealer :rofl:
Sponsored