doctorbee

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
just went through this ordeal. started with disappearing coolant and progressed to rough cold starts for 1-2 seconds and finally consistent misfires with load/boost. swapping coils and spark plugs from the problematic to the good cylinders did not help.

leak down test resulted in a bubble forming every 2-3 minutes at 90psi. since it was a small leak I opted to use Subaru coolant conditioner, a mild stop leak formula. After about a week of driving the coolant level has remained steady and the misfires are gone. no bubbles detected with a repeat leakdown test.
Sponsored

Chizzo

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r, 1996 civic ex
Country flag
This is the gasket ill be using when i need a rebuild with a bigger turbo. It has a built in fire ring with no modification needed to the block
Honda Civic 10th gen Head Gasket Blown - Head Studs and Gasket Recommendations Screenshot_20230507_195543_Chrome

doctorbee

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Off the shelf hondata 91 tune for upgraded intercooler and cat back exhaust.

Last edited:

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Off the shelf hondata 91 tune for upgraded intercooler and cat back exhaust.
Really surprising that this happens with the 91 tune. I’ve seen a good bit of knock with the 93 tune which most people say to avoid long term but the 91 seemed pretty safe and not that much more power over stock.

how many miles are on your car now and how long was it flashed for? Any chance it was flashed by a previous owner for e85?

doctorbee

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Really surprising that this happens with the 91 tune. I’ve seen a good bit of knock with the 93 tune which most people say to avoid long term but the 91 seemed pretty safe and not that much more power over stock.

how many miles are on your car now and how long was it flashed for? Any chance it was flashed by a previous owner for e85?
i had a minor overheat once and it began losing coolant since that one time

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
My mistake. I did mean intake valves. I have used CRC a few times also, maybe that helped. But do look at these other pictures inside the head.

received_1182105692233076.jpeg

received_1068036420634224.jpeg

I suppose what matters most is that the tops of the valves are relatively clean.
Keep in mind, the valve faces are most likely clean due to the coolant intrusion "steam cleaning" them. But I'll agree that catch cans are good insurance. I run the PCV and CCV Radium ones.

I had the same headgasket issue and just went full 4Piston build as my cylinders got scored.

Goodluck!

Gavin_Danitz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Does anyone have experience with cometic? JSR says cometic over oem but most people seem to use oem. Just got my head machined, only 0.003.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
Does anyone have experience with cometic? JSR says cometic over oem but most people seem to use oem. Just got my head machined, only 0.003.
I would like to call in @seselectronics -
he's done a many build, and has experience I would at least consider.

personally, I went JE - as if you shop, you can find it $100 cheaper than the "top" companies, and since JE is drop-shipped, you're paying nearly $100 extra for a company to process your payment.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I know @bbeem has installed 3 head gaskets in his Si.

1. He blew his original stock head gasket.

2. Replaced that with another OEM gasket (using the stock bolts) and it blew.

3. He replaced that setup with a Cometic gasket and ARP studs and has had no issues.

It's possible the real issue is the stock bolts but I haven't heard of anyone having issues with Cometic gasket.

Gavin_Danitz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I know @bbeem has installed 3 head gaskets in his Si.

1. He blew his original stock head gasket.

2. Replaced that with another OEM gasket (using the stock bolts) and it blew.

3.l He replaced that setup with a Cometic gasket and ARP studs and has had no issues.

It's possible the real issue is the stock bolts but I haven't heard of anyone having issues with Cometic gasket.
Arp with oem gasket worked great on my si. Had plenty of track time. I know it’s much less common on the type r though so there’s less information

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I would like to call in @seselectronics -
he's done a many build, and has experience I would at least consider.

personally, I went JE - as if you shop, you can find it $100 cheaper than the "top" companies, and since JE is drop-shipped, you're paying nearly $100 extra for a company to process your payment.
I would call 4 piston if you have a build motor and see if they can recommends you a head gasket for your build . I use oem head gasket for stock block and head . Is very important verify the head and block for any imperfections, and proper surface .
Sponsored