vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
At this moment I am one of three FK8 owners I know of that have blown head gaskets at the same time. Two of us are tuned with close to the same mods, basically FBO. I have 74k miles. I started noticing issues about 6 months ago.

My car is at USR in Cumming GA taken apart and we are about to reinstall a new oem head gasket along with the other gaskets the kit comes with, and new oem head studs.

I am asking about going to APR head studs and possibly an upgraded head gasket. Does anyone have experience with Cometic?

My final (when is it ever final) modifications will be as follows:
Hondata custom tune
PRL HVI
PRL IC
PRL Charge Pipes
PRL Catless DP
PRL FP
Turbo, DP, Inlet Pipe Blankets
AEM Water Methanol Injection (planned for future)

I am getting my intake valves cleaned up and a catch can installed as well to prevent all the deposits I have from accumulating so badly again.

Honda Civic 10th gen Head Gasket Blown - Head Studs and Gasket Recommendations 20210428_104908_HDR

Honda Civic 10th gen Head Gasket Blown - Head Studs and Gasket Recommendations received_751363405575003

Honda Civic 10th gen Head Gasket Blown - Head Studs and Gasket Recommendations received_318474192954726

Honda Civic 10th gen Head Gasket Blown - Head Studs and Gasket Recommendations Capture.PNG

Honda Civic 10th gen Head Gasket Blown - Head Studs and Gasket Recommendations 20210429_173217_HDR

Last edited:

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
I’ve run cometic on previous builds with no issues. What is your reasoning for wanting to go for an aftermarket gasket?
Regarding ARP, I always suggest putting these in over oem on any platform.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I am getting my exhaust valves cleaned up and a catch can installed as well to prevent all the deposits I have from accumulating so badly again.

Capture.PNG
1. A catch can isn't going to do anything for your exhaust valves.
2. If those are your intake valves after 74k miles, they are clean af for a GDI car, and a catch can would still be pointless. The PCV system is clearly working, and doing an amazing job.

OP
OP
vasekvi

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
1. A catch can isn't going to do anything for your exhaust valves.
2. If those are your intake valves after 74k miles, they are clean af for a GDI car, and a catch can would still be pointless. The PCV system is clearly working, and doing an amazing job.
My mistake. I did mean intake valves. I have used CRC a few times also, maybe that helped. But do look at these other pictures inside the head.

Honda Civic 10th gen Head Gasket Blown - Head Studs and Gasket Recommendations received_1182105692233076

Honda Civic 10th gen Head Gasket Blown - Head Studs and Gasket Recommendations received_1068036420634224

I suppose what matters most is that the tops of the valves are relatively clean.

OP
OP
vasekvi

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I’ve run cometic on previous builds with no issues. What is your reasoning for wanting to go for an aftermarket gasket?
Well, main reason is I didn't want the head gasket to fail again, and I still don't know if the oem head gasket is a weak point. I've gotten different advice ranging from oem head gasket is fine even beyond 600hp with ARP head studs to oem gasket is not good enough even with ARP head studs, I've been told to look at Athena and Cometic head gaskets. But I think I am leaning toward ARP head studs and oem head gasket.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
A catch can will still be less oil in the intake manifold.

My mistake. I did mean intake valves. I have used CRC a few times also, maybe that helped. But do look at these other pictures inside the head.

received_1182105692233076.jpeg

received_1068036420634224.jpeg

I suppose what matters most is that the tops of the valves are relatively clean.
What oil are you using? Higher viscosity oils tend to have higher IVD.

OP
OP
vasekvi

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
A catch can will still be less oil in the intake manifold.

What oil are you using? Higher viscosity oils tend to have higher IVD.
Mobil 1 0W-20

I'll be running the OEM gasket and ARP head studs myself with the P600. Many others do too, I don't think the head gasket is really the weak link here.
Have you had to replace your head gasket also?

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
I agree OEM Honda head gasket & ARP head studs. Never had an issue with OEM Honda head gaskets on even very high power builds. I have had issues with aftermarket head gaskets on multiple vehicles.

Torque to yield bolts(stock head bolts) & boost do weird things sometimes, head lift seems to be an issue on some engines after boost + higher mileages. Sometimes you won't burn coolant but push it into your overflow bottle. The vehicle can even pass a coolant system pressure test & leak down test making diagnostics frustrating. Those litmus strips that can detect traces of combustion deposits in your coolant have come in handy more times than I can count.

Never had a problem after doing ARP head studs & using an OEM Honda head gasket!

OP
OP
vasekvi

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I agree OEM Honda head gasket & ARP head studs. Never had an issue with OEM Honda head gaskets on even very high power builds. I have had issues with aftermarket head gaskets on multiple vehicles.

Torque to yield bolts(stock head bolts) & boost do weird things sometimes, head lift seems to be an issue on some engines after boost + higher mileages. Sometimes you won't burn coolant but push it into your overflow bottle. The vehicle can even pass a coolant system pressure test & leak down test making diagnostics frustrating. Those litmus strips that can detect traces of combustion deposits in your coolant have come in handy more times than I can count.

Never had a problem after doing ARP head studs & using an OEM Honda head gasket!
Thank you for your reply. I did find coolant in cylinders 2 and 3 with a camera. And coolant did come out of overflow a couple times on warmer days. When I switched the engine off I did notice that the coolant overflow tank level would immediately lower considerably. I watched my temps and drove it very conservatively and never got past 200 degrees.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Thank you for your reply. I did find coolant in cylinders 2 and 3 with a camera. And coolant did come out of overflow a couple times on warmer days. When I switched the engine off I did notice that the coolant overflow tank level would immediately lower considerably. I watched my temps and drove it very conservatively and never got past 200 degrees.
Glad you caught it so early & nice diagnostic work!

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV, 2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Where can I find the OEM head gasket?

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can’t speak for the 2.0 but the Cometic for the 1.5 requires extra machining of the head to work.
@kshawn showed me the work his head had to undergo to make it work.
May be this is a totally moot point being you have a 2.0 ?
I also can’t imagine ARP studs being any issue for you in the future.
My two cents….. good luck with it!

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
My head gasket blew. Said f it and bought a used engine. Might as well start fresh

tde1205

First Name
Tulio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TypeR
Country flag
hows the car running now OP?

i blew my head gasket also, went with oem gasket & ARP head studs.
Sponsored