Hawk HPS 5.0 .. or .. Hawk HP Plus front brake pads? Need help deciding

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
So its time for new brakes here in a few thousand miles.. I dont want OE front brake pads because of how bad they dust. I feel that since I dont track the car and just daily drive it with some occasional spirited driving (not 10/10ths on the road) that I can get away with something else that may even last longer as long as it wont sacrifice my braking on the road.

Would the HPS 5.0 or Plus pads be more suited for my driving? And how do those compare to the OE pads? My Type R is a 2019 if that matters and for rotors ill either be sticking with OEM x drilled or EBC front blanks. Yes, I am on a budget or id spring for 20/21 2 piece rotors.
Sponsored

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you didn't like the dust on the OEM set of pads you won't like the 5.0 or the HPS. If just a daily driver I suggest the performance Ceramic.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Agree with @Vincent@27WON, either won't be a good option for you as they both emit a good amount of brake dust. HPS 5.0 as mentioned above are noise-free, the HP+ will in addition to brake dust emit pad squeal

EBC Redstuff Ceramic Pads would be my recommendation for you. I've ran them, and my wheels stayed pretty clean over time - I carry them and have them in stock

https://unity-performance.com/collections/2017-civic-type-r?pf_v_vendor=EBC

cariboublue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2004 Mazda 3
Country flag
I am also considering these pads. I daily my CTR too but also plan on auto-crossing in the near future. Would the stock rotors work fine with the HPS 5.0? What about rear pads? Are the HPS 5.0 in the rear a good option for a street/autocross setup?

I am not too worried about dust as I drive maybe 100-150 miles a week. Would rather avoid excessive noise though.

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
EBC Redstuff Ceramic Pads would be my recommendation for you. I've ran them, and my wheels stayed pretty clean over time - I carry them and have them in stock

What did you think of the pads compared to stock as far as stopping power and initial bite? I realize that I may sacrifice some of my braking power here but exactly how much? I do sometimes drive a little hard on the street but not autocross levels of hard.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I am also considering these pads. I daily my CTR too but also plan on auto-crossing in the near future. Would the stock rotors work fine with the HPS 5.0? What about rear pads? Are the HPS 5.0 in the rear a good option for a street/autocross setup?

I am not too worried about dust as I drive maybe 100-150 miles a week. Would rather avoid excessive noise though.
Both those pads will work fine on stock rotors. If you do HPS pads up front, Id suggest the something a tad less aggressive in back for stagger, even the OEM ones would be fine.

sokrispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I've used Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads for around 15-20k miles now, I like them. Definitely not as good as OEM, but more than good enough for like 7/10ths 'spirited' driving on public roads.

However, I did change the brake fluid to ATE Typ 200, so that may have lessened the impact of having a lower performance pad.

Fronts: Amazon Link

Rears: Amazon Link

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I replaced my OEM pads with Hawk 5.0. I didn't notice any major change in performance. I did notice all noise is gone and a HUGE reduction in dust.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agree with @Vincent@27WON, either won't be a good option for you as they both emit a good amount of brake dust. HPS 5.0 as mentioned above are noise-free, the HP+ will in addition to brake dust emit pad squeal

Will the EBC pads fit the 27won BBK?
Sponsored