1.5T Having some issues with 2020 Type R shifter and Acuity mods

manesag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Hatch Sport Manual
Country flag
Hey everyone, I have a 2018 Hatchback sport, and two weekends ago I installed the 2020 Type R shifter assembly, Acuity Base bushings and centering spring and it feels wonderful. But about half the time it feels like garbage, in the way that randomly I'll get some gear lockout (I checked the car this morning and it was 3rd gear), and it just overall feels notchy and not smooth. Sometimes it feels like it needs excess force to get fully into the gate and it makes quite a bit of crunchy noise with it. I don't think I have the issue with clicking in even gears because I checked and its quiet. But it seems like shifting into 4th is the hardest thing for it.

Any idea of what it could be?
Sponsored

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
It's normal to get stiffer shifts with this mods but it should be smooth changes. I've always experieced some crunchiness that may go away or minimize with a propper clutch fluid flush and bleed. Have you tried that? Acuity Gearbox selector spherical bushings also help to soften and smooth gear changes while reducing compilance on the shifter.

OP
OP

manesag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Hatch Sport Manual
Country flag
It's normal to get stiffer shifts with this mods but it should be smooth changes. I've always experieced some crunchiness that may go away or minimize with a propper clutch fluid flush and bleed. Have you tried that? Acuity Gearbox selector spherical bushings also help to soften and smooth gear changes while reducing compilance on the shifter.
No I haven't, and I probably won't be able too for another 2 or so weeks. Car also has around 29k miles. And yeah I've heard of them, but for right now I'm trying to avoid spending that money unless I need too.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, everything is really a bolt-up-and-go affair. It may be a pain to do, but have you re-checked that all cables and connection points are totally secure? Maybe @ACUITY can chime in with their wisdom. ??

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I did this with a 2018 shifter and it was the worst $200 I ever spent. I should have gone full shifter from the jump. The R is getting a HR shifter, this weekend hopefully I'll get it installed.

OP
OP

manesag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Hatch Sport Manual
Country flag
Hmm, everything is really a bolt-up-and-go affair. It may be a pain to do, but have you re-checked that all cables and connection points are totally secure? Maybe @ACUITY can chime in with their wisdom. ??
I'm thinking that I'm going to do some rechecking of it, it just baffles me because sometimes its smooth, but other times its the complete opposite

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm thinking that I'm going to do some rechecking of it, it just baffles me because sometimes its smooth, but other times its the complete opposite
Yeah, your bafflement is valid. ? GL! Let us know if you find the issue!
Sponsored