ericc191

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thank you, PPL. I have been scratching my head trying to figure out what that engine braking feeling was. I'm glad you helped me out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tego0189

Tego0189

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
when you are off the gas and the car is slowing down on its own is engine braking. When you can physically feel the car "lay over" like its engine braking in the middle of a pull while still wide open throttle, then the car is very unhappy.
Can you get that from a misfire?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Yes you can absolutely.

I will have more information for you later on this evening once I get home from work and get the laptop fired up.

OP
OP
Tego0189

Tego0189

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I mean there are a myriad of reasons for why you are seeing that. Not all are "that bad". And you will have alot of people on this board that will write off or dismiss knock counts altogether because it is "misfire counter"

The TSP file is one of the more aggressive pump gas maps (in a good way or else it wouldnt make the power it does). Doesnt take much at that level of power increase to make a knock sensing system unhappy. Could be your fuel. Could be "phantom knock" noise that the knock sensor is misinterpreting from somewhere else. Doesnt mean the file is bad ....just that your margin of safety is more narrow.

If you arent getting the counts with the ktuner basemaps then there is your answer. If you arent getting them when returned to stock...there is your answer.
I went back to stock havent had a misfire yet and have done like 4 pulls... hmm so engine braking is like if I'm doing a pull and all of sudden I lose power and stops accelerating?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I went back to stock havent had a misfire yet and have done like 4 pulls... hmm so engine braking is like if I'm doing a pull and all of sudden I lose power and stops accelerating?
Is the RPM dropping at that point? If not, maybe clutch slipping?

ericc191

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I rolled the ECU back to factory and I'll keep an eye on how the car drives. If it happens without a tune, I'll know something's wrong.

I posted a couple of my logs where the car's acting up in another thread. Hoping someone will take a look at it and be able to tell me what's wrong.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
I rolled the ECU back to factory and I'll keep an eye on how the car drives. If it happens without a tune, I'll know something's wrong.

I posted a couple of my logs where the car's acting up in another thread. Hoping someone will take a look at it and be able to tell me what's wrong.
Today I flashed to stock from ktuner 23 psi basemap, cars a lot slower lol but...... I still got knock counts, and I was at k control 0.62 .... it was lower on the damn basemap flash lol. I think it’s the fuel to be honest I got some cheap ass stop n shop fuel, we all know that shit is garbage

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20

If it's on hondata send me the logs. I fixed the other guys issue for him.

ericc191

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
These injectors have been known to be faulty. I know the 17-18 models the injectors would fail randomly. Tuned or untuned at times.
Think it's possible on a brand new car? I was looking at the symptoms and one of them does kinda line up with the issue I'm experiencing:

Loss of Power– Typically, as the engine RPM increases, you won’t be able to “feel” the engine misfire as much. But, you’ll definitely notice the lack of power.

EDIT: Can someone recommend a good set of fuel injectors or OEMs I can buy? I'm willing to switch them out to see if it corrects the problem.

cmunoz1795

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Country flag
Today I flashed to stock from ktuner 23 psi basemap, cars a lot slower lol but...... I still got knock counts, and I was at k control 0.62 .... it was lower on the damn basemap flash lol. I think it’s the fuel to be honest I got some cheap ass stop n shop fuel, we all know that shit is garbage
[/ fuel can definitely affect knock counts and misfires
Think it's possible on a brand new car? I was looking at the symptoms and one of them does kinda line up with the issue I'm experiencing:

Loss of Power– Typically, as the engine RPM increases, you won’t be able to “feel” the engine misfire as much. But, you’ll definitely notice the lack of power.

EDIT: Can someone recommend a good set of fuel injectors or OEMs I can buy? I'm willing to switch them out to see if it corrects the problem.
i ran the tsp stage 1 for a long time. Didn’t get any issues from running it. If it didn’t throw a code, it could be bad gas. Plus tsp is known too lose power top end.

ericc191

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yeah, I have no codes and my Knock Control is always good at 0.49-0.56. I'm honestly scratching my head here. :(

It's like.. I know something's wrong, but no way to really recreate the issue and/or process of elimination.

EDIT: I guess I could take it into Honda and see if they can figure out the problem. It first started in TSP, then today it did it a couple times on the factory tune.

If I keep it on factory, will Honda still see that I have flashed the ECU and void me?

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I have a very slight misfire on cylinder 3. I've swapped coil packs, still there. I'm changing plugs next.

The interesting thing on my car is that I'm getting the k.counts when I lift off the throttle (to shift) at lower RPMS. Sometime I get zero counts on a half hour drive, other times up to 12.

I did an interesting experiment after I found what RPM this was occurring. I reved the engine in neutral at 1500rpm and held it there. The k.counts were increasing as I held the rpm! I could here a slight miss in the exhaust as well. I ran a datalog to see what, if anything was going on. Ran the datalog until I hit 80 on k.count (it took a few minutes). When I looked at the log, it showed 83 counts for cyl 3... all other cylinders were fine.

What is very strange is that under throttle and hard pulls, everything is completely normal and no additional counts for cyl 3. It only happens at lower rpms and steady 1500-1800rpm (with no load)

I'll update once plugs are changed with pics. If the problem is still there then I'm seeing the beginning of an injector issue.
Sponsored