Have anyone Dyno the 10th gen si yet stock

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
No, my bad. Anyone who has knowledge about CAI should know not to expect that good of results! Haha
CAI gives great gains, however like I've said in other threads, this is one of those brands that makes mass produced bs, it's all about money. It's all fraud. Look into PRL. That's the intake you want, both stage 1 and 2. They are both great.

OP
OP
562Si

562Si

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I'm getting the intake free they are working on my car so they can make the intake.

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2017 honda si
That's bull. There's no way a CAI adds 13 whp and 8 wtq! Also plenty of other reports are showing 200+ and 210+ whp and wtq, respectively.

I would demand my money back....
Each brand dyno is different and each dyno is different. It's simply a tool to measure power much like a scale to measure weight loss/gain. Its like stepping on the scale to see that youre fat and then wanting to return the scale because you dont like the number you see. As long as you are consistent with the dyno measuring before and after mods is a good way to see gain.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Couple thoughts/questions:
  • Was this measured on a Mustang dyno? If so, results will absolutely be lower.
  • Was your tuner running a "high output" fan to the FMIC? If not, the results suggest heatsoak may have been an issue.
  • Hondata and Vit use Dynapacks (IIRC), which are designed to read output at the hubs. Dynapacks "may" not factor losses from rotational mass of the wheels (which is quite substantial on the Si).
  • The gains from the CAI are in line with others who have measured an intake on the factory tune (10-15 HP).

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
No, my bad. Anyone who has knowledge about CAI should know not to expect that good of results! Haha
We are seeing two different responses from aftermarket intakes - one with and one without the flash. On the stock tune, the parameters seem to allow for modest gains up to 15 HP, according to some who've actually measured an intake before flashing the ECU. On a flash, the parameters are theoretically optimized and only allow for an additional 3-6 HP after adding an intake. Hondata's testing supports the latter.

Last edited:

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
We are seeing two different responses from aftermarket intakes - one with and one without the flash. On the stock tune, the parameters seem to allow for modest gains up to 15 HP, according to some who've actually measured an intake before flashing the ECU. On a flash, the parameters are theoretically optimized and only allow for an additional 3-6 HP after adding an intake. Hondata's testing supports the latter.
Up to 15hp from a CAI on the factory tune?

I thought the consensus here was that it was just for sound

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Up to 15hp from a CAI on the factory tune?

I thought the consensus here was that it was just for sound
The very few dyno readouts we have suggest that CAI/SRIs provide mild gains on the factory tune. But a majority of readouts compare intakes in conjunction with a flash or after the ECU has already been flashed. In those scenarios, intakes add very little to peak HP. Which is why most skip the intake and go straight to the flash.

We saw the same relationship in the Mazda community. An intake alone added 15-24 WHP, prior to a flash. After a flash, an intake would only add a few HP more. The below thread was a collection of MS3 dyno readouts comparing gains from an intake, long before a tune was available. Take it for what it's worth:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123662934-MAZDASPEED-3-CAI-Gains-Comparison-Depot

EDIT: For those who haven't yet seen, here's Hondata's testing on the base 1.5T. Yes, the Si's configuration is slightly different. But the same relationship should hold true.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/biggest-ever-most-comprehensive-intake-test-ever.11906/

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
With a little digging, looks like AEM utilizes a dynojet. The base 1.5T dyno'd at 148 WHP (157 w/intake), which seems to be on the ultra-low side of most dynojet averages. See vid @ 0:45:
https://www.aemintakes.com/video/21-798C.html

I am skeptical of those readings for a few different reasons. First, given the ambient parameters, I find it unlikely that a base 1.5T with an intake had the same output as the Si's baseline reading (~158 WHP). Second, most FI tuners keep the shop fan within a few feet of the grill to simulate cooling at speed. Something that's clearly missing in AEM's testing approach. I won't say it's wrong. But given that IC's are highly sensitive to airflow, AEM seems to have left a lot of power on the table.

For reference, Doug talks about the importance of airflow @ :30 in the vid below:

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Each brand dyno is different and each dyno is different. It's simply a tool to measure power much like a scale to measure weight loss/gain. Its like stepping on the scale to see that youre fat and then wanting to return the scale because you dont like the number you see. As long as you are consistent with the dyno measuring before and after mods is a good way to see gain.
Yeah if you want to see before and after, it satisfies that. But being that if I were to pay a good bit of money for someone to dyno my car, I would want to get accurate results. Sure you could say that "these mods added 11hp to my car". Then someone asks "so what's the hp then?" and if you replied "well the dyno results are way low but I know I gained 11hp". I am sure the other person would begin to question the initial claims of the gain.

To continue with your analogy. This situation is similar to a fit individual stepping on a scale and all of a sudden it displays a weight of 50lbs more than the person knows to be true. In that case, the scale is defective and should not be considered accurate. Thus negating its value.
Sponsored