1.5T Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered from TSP last week and got it yesterday. Flashed the base 1 map for now until I get the TSP tune, but my god how it changes the car. Such a huge difference. Drove around a little bit yesterday and actually managed to get the tries to spin a bit from a stop. Looking forward to the TSP tune
Keep in mind that while tire spins seems cool, it's better if you put the power down without tire spin. Consider trying a combo of bbg in "1st" and Advanced VSA.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx

Wylde06

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep in mind that while tire spins seems cool, it's better if you put the power down without tire spin. Consider trying a combo of bbg in "1st" and Advanced VSA.
It definitely wasnt intentional. I just got a little foot heavy in my short test drive after flashing it. I came from driving a Maxima, which had a lot more power on tap, so I just need to get used to a more lively Civic.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there any official data from Hondata or Ktuner what PSI is the max for a stock 1.5 Civic with CVT?

I've seen some people having upgraded their intercooler. Is there a official recommendation?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there any official data from Hondata or Ktuner what PSI is the max for a stock 1.5 Civic with CVT?

I've seen some people having upgraded their intercooler. Is there a official recommendation?
If I were either one of them, I wouldn't want to put out data like that. Why?

#1 What if two people have upgraded their intercoolers BUT they both have different types of intercoolers, so the efficiency of both intercoolers are drastically different. One car with #1 Intercooler makes more power than car with #2 intercooler but both at the same psi.

#2 What if both people have upgraded intercooler but both have different turbos. One turbo that is different (Ex: Larger.....PRL) will make different power than another turbo at the same psi of boost. To put out a general psi number could put either tuner in a bad place if something negative happens (And usually it does).

Those are just two examples I'm using but that's the point I'm making.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Myx
I understand, but then how do people know, when they should build in a better intercooler or something?
How many PSI are good with a stock Civic and CVT? ?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Myx
I understand, but then how do people know, when they should build in a better intercooler or something?

I hope you get get the answers you are looking for. I know when I'd ask questions like that, the more I read and the deeper I got into it, I started to see more and more variables.
Even between two completely stock Civic's with the CVT transmission, 22psi for someone in 95F temperatures is different than 22psi for someone at 20F. Also, usually boost is not the same through all rpms and all 'gear's (Yes, CVTs have 'gear's....1st....2nd...etc). It's just not in the traditional sense but you can see it in datalogs. Max boost for me in 1st gear @ 2500rpm is differnt than max boost boost in 4th gear at 5800rpm. And even this changed based on the tune I was getting (Based on my mods and fuel I was using).

Good luck bro! I know the feeling you have in your quest for answers. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've hit 26psi while dragging. That was a personal boost map. I have a CVT. I generally try to keep boost below 14 under 2300-2500 rpm. I dont have my boost maps in front of me, so that may be off. I can provide actual targets for gear and rpm ranges if you really want. I hold no liability for anyone's outcomes.
I perceive boost alterations to be safer than ignition changes. That's just me. It gets a little complex/convoluted with the rpm map, BBG, target limits, etc. Add to that the black box tbat is the TCU, and what looks good on a chart might be rediculously jerky feeling, with pockets of boost spikes and releases.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've hit 26psi while dragging. That was a personal boost map. I have a CVT. I generally try to keep boost below 14 under 2300-2500 rpm. I dont have my boost maps in front of me, so that may be off. I can provide actual targets for gear and rpm ranges if you really want. I hold no liability for anyone's outcomes.
I perceive boost alterations to be safer than ignition changes. That's just me. It gets a little complex/convoluted with the rpm map, BBG, target limits, etc. Add to that the black box tbat is the TCU, and what looks good on a chart might be rediculously jerky feeling, with pockets of boost spikes and releases.

This is friggin' awesome. 26psi? I've asked that my tunes be really aggressive with ignition advance with turbo psi playing 2nd. I'd be interested in a side-by-side comparison to see how our cars perform. Let me know! :thumbsup:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Myx
I'll give this another shot since you haven't got an answer.
21psi is good with a stock Civic and CVT **With THIS TUNE** (See Ktuner Stage 2).

Going beyond this, an upgraded intercooler would be very helpful.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is friggin' awesome. 26psi? I've asked that my tunes be really aggressive with ignition advance with turbo psi playing 2nd. I'd be interested in a side-by-side comparison to see how our cars perform. Let me know! :thumbsup:
Def seems we hit a fork in the woods and each chose a different path. Lol
There is diminishing returns after 22-23psi from my experience. I hit 26psi, yes. I didnt notice anything but very high temps and mild heart palpitations for fear of having ruined something.
My current "max" tune does not target 26psi. It was kind of a one-time, "will this even work?" Same as the time I made a tune with a 1300rpm idle for dragging. I kept waving off the queue attendants as I got to the front of the line, because off-brake the car would more saunter than crawl forward. Lol. I do not use a tune like that anymore.

@Myx - let's keep any eye on Atco. Maybe I'll get some cooling projects done between now and what's looking like mid-July and provide some competition for ya!

Last edited:
  • Love
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've hit 26.3 psi on the TSP 1, Map 3. It's both exhilarating and scary. :cool:

As far as the intercooler, my opinion differs from some here. If you just are daily driving and don't push it hard often, I think the stock IC is OK. If you run it hard often and/or live in a hot climate, it becomes more of a necessity.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Def seems we hit a fork in the woods and each chose a different path. Lol
There is diminishing returns after 22-23psi from my experience. I hit 26psi, yes. I didnt notice anything but very high temps and mild heart palpitations for fear of having ruined something.
My current "max" tune does not target 26psi. It was kind of a one-time, "will this even work?" Same as the time I made a tune with a 1300rpm idle for dragging. I kept waving off the queue attendants as I got to the front of the line, because off-brake the car would more saunter than crawl forward. Lol. I do not use a tune like that anymore.

@Myx - let's keep any eye on Atco. Maybe I'll get some cooling projects done between now and what's looking like mid-July and provide some competition for ya!
I am definitely game for this. Looks like Atco is closed until at least July 4th for now. They have received no guidance as to when they can open. Atco Facebook

Your 1300rpm idle for dragging is an interesting idea. You are the first I have heard of doing this. Did you notice any difference in your 60ft times testing this out? I know the CVT has a flash stall rpm but it's not like a regular autotranny with a torque converter, where it maybe safe to flash stall a 1000rpm higher or so from stock. Interesting approach there....

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am definitely game for this. Looks like Atco is closed until at least July 4th for now. They have received no guidance as to when they can open. Atco Facebook

Your 1300rpm idle for dragging is an interesting idea. You are the first I have heard of doing this. Did you notice any difference in your 60ft times testing this out? I know the CVT has a flash stall rpm but it's not like a regular autotranny with a torque converter, where it maybe safe to flash stall a 1000rpm higher or so from stock. Interesting approach there....
I'll see if I have the slips. I just didn't want to brake boost, and hadn't seen my reactions translate well at the strip. My intent was to get me to higher gearing with my higher BBG profiles sooner.

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've still got a lot to read in this thread but serious shout out @gtman out of almost all the threads I've read on this forum for areas I've been unsure about yours have always been super helpful of finding what I think is going to work for me and what I'm aiming for.
Sponsored