1.5T Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
at one point i had easy adjustments for bbg and now i dont. im not sure where it went. i think an update took it out.
Sponsored

n0chance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hi. First of all - thanks so much @gtman - I've been trying to catch up and read up on a lot of your posts and thread which has been very helpful. I'm still on my beginning journey with tuning. I'm still being 'conservative' with my 1.5 CVT until I feel more comfortable and confident in tuning and currently have the ktuner stage 1 basemap loaded, and I think it's awesome so far.

I'm starting to configure a starter 21 base map tune and had some questions/would like feedback on below.

1. When I load the starter 21 base map, there are so many parameters in the 'main parameters' section. I plan to leave the following sections as default because I don't understand the areas as much, but would like at least the same type of feel I get in stage 1. Most of the posts focus on the 'quick adjustments' settings but not these other settings?
  • Rev limits (default is 6600 high limit/6100 high restart)
  • Disable Monitors (only P0299 - Underboost condition is checked by default)
  • Idle Target (not touching any of those default tables)
  • Closed Loop settings (not touching any of those settings)
  • Fuel Cut Settings (not touching any of those settings)
  • MAF Scaling (not touching any of those settings)
  • DBW Idle Settings (not touching any of those settings)
  • Also not touching anything under Fuel corrections, ignition corrections, or advanced features
2. I'm planning to configure these following settings, still staying conservative for now, will this give me at least the same feel as stage 1 tune?
  • Throttle Responsiveness: Improved Response 1 CVT
  • Turbo Spool: Improved Spool 1
  • ECO on Normalized Throttle: Eco on Normalized Throttle
  • Advanced VSA Control Strategy (Factory Throttle VSA Only) - FYI This configuration did not seem to be on screenshots of settings posted by other users.
  • Tune 1 (Commuter Tune)
    • Improved Responsiveness I
    • Tune 1 Target - Normal: 16 PSI
    • Tune 1 Target - Eco: Factor Boost Level
    • Tune 1 Boost Target Ramp Rate: Factory Ramp
  • Tune 2 (Try to be similar to "Stage 1 Feel")
    • Improved Responsiveness II
    • Tune 1 Target - Normal: 18 PSI
    • Tune 1 Target - Eco: 16 PSI
    • Tune 1 Boost Target Ramp Rate: Improved Ramp I
  • Tune 3 (Try to be more aggressive than "Stage 1 Feel" while still being conservative while learning. Maybe be closer to how Stage 2 would feel?)
    • Improved Responsiveness III
    • Tune 1 Target - Normal: 21 PSI
    • Tune 1 Target - Eco: 16 PSI
    • Tune 1 Boost Target Ramp Rate: Improved Ramp II
3. Under Quick Enables, I did not check anything. I don't want to have a high risk of stress on the CVT, so have disable boost unchecked. Thoughts on Early Spool and Advanced VSA? I'm not sure how this affects the Spool and VSA settings on the quick adjustments area?

4. Quick Boosts by Bear - I was considering only configuring Boost By Gear Limit 1 Gear to 16 PSI Boost level to reduce the chance 'Tires slipping' from stop until I get better tires than stock.

5. On some of your earlier posts, I saw you put your more aggressive tunes on Tune 1 and more conservative tunes on Tune 3. Any reason to have a certain configuration on Tune 1 rather than Tune 3? I was reading that the car starts up and may default to Tune 1 - is that why?

6. I'm assuming you sort of have '6 different options' when you drive, since there is an Eco Button and each tune has Eco targets?
  • Eco mode on - Tune 1
  • Eco mode on - Tune 2
  • Eco mode on - Tune 3
  • Eco mode off - Tune 1
  • Eco mode off - Tune 2
  • Eco mode off - Tune 3
7. I read you should not disable Ramp on Boost Target Ramp Rate to not stress the CVT. Is Agressive Ramp I and/or II also a high risk for CVT owners?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the parameters listed in your "#1" section, as a new user and just generally speaking there's no need to touch those.

Your "#2" section is where you can fine tune to create a Starter tune that has the driveability YOU want. I've posted detailed information on all of that throughout this forum. It's honestly far too many questions to respond in a single reply here.

All those quick settings are safe for the CVT but do not disable boost ramp. It's really all about trial and error and setting things up for where and how you drive.

As far as the on the fly setup, there's no rule in terms of boost targets for 1, 2 or 3. Just remember, it will revert to 1 unless you keep KTuner plugged in (I don't).

Generally, I only use BBG in "1st". You need to play with it because depending on your tires, the psi limit varies setup to setup.

Early spooling and more aggressive part throttle turbo response is great in low speed city driving.

Advanced VSA is a great new feature for preventing traction loss but it does retard timing which can damage the catalytic converter over time.

Feel free to check out Ktuner's help pages and the many topics in the Ktuner forum here for additional learning.

Here's another one I started that might be helpful:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/my-ktuner-experience-an-ongoing-journal.29033

Last edited:

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
@gtman Thank you for starting this thread, and the tuning reliability survey. I plan to tune my Civic Hatchback CVT but I still need to collect more information regarding reliability for long term use (5-10 years), and I live in a very humid and hot temperature environment (average temperature 35 Celsius with 83% humidity during the day).

My concern is not only on CVT but also other components that associated with increase of heat due to increased torque/ power that comes from tuning.

Appreciate any suggestions and information regarding CVT reliability and improving cooling associated with heat. Hopefully, I can make my decision before New Year.

Kev5120

Kevin
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 hatchback ex l
Country flag
Hey. I am adventuring with my 18 Ex-L and tuned Tsp stage1 non si for about a month now. Yes, I should of picked a manual instead of a CVT for more sporty tune/mod. First car and a daily(School and work). I am planning on purchasing PRL cold air intake system and PRL FP/DP w/ Invidia N1(Only exhaust besides flow for this model ;(. I’ve been researching and opening thread relating to CVT and its general info. Especially tuning Tsp stage1 non si which is apparently nearly crossing the holy line. I am an aggressive driver (city only; 24mpg); map3 and 0-40 pretty quick. Living in SoCal and is wondering with the above tune/mod be “fine”? Three issues. Time, investment and last thing I want is blowing something up. No, I don’t not plan on racing but would like to have MORE fun. Any tips/perspective would help, thank you.

Also, I have KTuner v1.2 and honda hack on head unit. I’ve noticed I usually drive around 10-15psi, anyone know what is the “highest” “safe” psi to hit? Thanks again.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@gtman Thank you very much for sharing your tuning experience.

As mentioned in the tune reliability thread, I finally made the jump & tune my Civic X. I was heavily consider KTuner V2 but I was a few hours late as somebody else had purchased the only KTuner V2 available for sale in my country. Thus, I currently use Hondata Flashpro to tune my Civic X.

I had no other modification on my car but the Flashpro tune. I would say the overall experience is awesome! This is not my first tuning experience but this is indeed my first tuning experience with no bolt-on at all!

My tuner told me that he only tune Fuel and timing to match my regular gas octane, which is 93 Octane. He told me that he prefer to keep stock boost level considering my car is daily driver, which means I will be dealing with stop and go traffic 80% of my daily commute.

With the climate that we are dealing with (high temp, high humidity), my tuner advised me to keep boost level at stock setting. He has 3 customers with piston rod issues after boosting the boost higher than 1.3 bar level (as per customers requested). 2 customers got their piston bent, 1 customer had a broken piston rod.

In regards to CVT, my tuner has not encountered CVT issues.

Honda Civic 10th gen Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this! IMG-3108

Honda Civic 10th gen Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this! IMG-3110

Honda Civic 10th gen Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this! IMG-3111

I'm curious with the result though. Honda Indonesia advertises Honda Civic Hatchback 173 PS (around 170 HP) at 5500 RPM but the result vary greatly with dyno result, which reflect power measurement at crank.

I may need to find other workshop with more reliable dyno to check.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@gtman Thank you very much for sharing your tuning experience.

As mentioned in the tune reliability thread, I finally made the jump & tune my Civic X. I was heavily consider KTuner V2 but I was a few hours late as somebody else had purchased the only KTuner V2 available for sale in my country. Thus, I currently use Hondata Flashpro to tune my Civic X.

I had no other modification on my car but the Flashpro tune. I would say the overall experience is awesome! This is not my first tuning experience but this is indeed my first tuning experience with no bolt-on at all!

My tuner told me that he only tune Fuel and timing to match my regular gas octane, which is 93 Octane. He told me that he prefer to keep stock boost level considering my car is daily driver, which means I will be dealing with stop and go traffic 80% of my daily commute.

With the climate that we are dealing with (high temp, high humidity), my tuner advised me to keep boost level at stock setting. He has 3 customers with piston rod issues after boosting the boost higher than 1.3 bar level (as per customers requested). 2 customers got their piston bent, 1 customer had a broken piston rod.

In regards to CVT, my tuner has not encountered CVT issues.

IMG-3108.jpg

IMG-3110.jpg

IMG-3111.jpg

I'm curious with the result though. Honda Indonesia advertises Honda Civic Hatchback 173 PS (around 170 HP) at 5500 RPM but the result vary greatly with dyno result, which reflect power measurement at crank.

I may need to find other workshop with more reliable dyno to check.

Edit. Numbers are in Nm not ft lbs.

But as an fyi:

Seen several non Si motors on Hondata base maps or tweaked bade maps with flex fuel blow up their engine because too much tq down low and too early. Personally know a friend who blew his motor up and he got a new motor switched to ktuner and got a custom tune from Drob at IMW.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Edit. Numbers are in Nm not ft lbs.

But as an fyi:

Seen several non Si motors on Hondata base maps or tweaked bade maps with flex fuel blow up their engine because too much tq down low and too early. Personally know a friend who blew his motor up and he got a new motor switched to ktuner and got a custom tune from Drob at IMW.
Torque value is in Nm, not Ft/lbs.

I'm a bit afraid on RPM torque slightly higher than what the engine is really capable of. Do you recognize engine damage risk from the low RPM torque that the engine is currently making?

Type S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport CVT
Country flag
Hello all! I’ve done a little research but am hoping to find an answer quicker here.

Do any of these tunes eliminate the “simulated shift” for the CVT at higher speeds?

Type S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport CVT
Country flag
L mode kept it from "shifting" when we had our CVT model. The CVT has its own controller, which we don't flash at this time.
Good to know, and thank you very much for the quick reply!

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
L mode kept it from "shifting" when we had our CVT model. The CVT has its own controller, which we don't flash at this time.
@KTuner As I told you back in my Honda Fit days, if you ever get the urge to start tinkering in this area, I am game. I have other cars to drive. I absolutely despise and hate the shifting character of the CVT. It totally defeats the purpose of it's efficiency, especially at WOT.

And if you ever got this figured out, even to a small degree, that is potential $$$$ for you (Potential headaches too...I know, I know). A game changer.

Type S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport CVT
Country flag
Good to know, and thank you very much for the quick reply!
So I have a 2020 Hatchback Sport CVT and the transmission selector only has D and S, no L. Oh well.

Wylde06

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ordered from TSP last week and got it yesterday. Flashed the base 1 map for now until I get the TSP tune, but my god how it changes the car. Such a huge difference. Drove around a little bit yesterday and actually managed to get the tries to spin a bit from a stop. Looking forward to the TSP tune
Sponsored