1.5T Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Petro Canada

91 Octane No Ethanol
RON 97.2
MON 85.6

94 Octane with Ethanol
RON 101.5
MON 88
@marauderguy Good Info again!
By the look of it, appears that even by U.S. standards of averaging the TWO values still equates to the correct octane.
The only difference between the TWO types of fuel is the addition of ETHANOL in the higher Octane.
Since the 91oct does not have ethanol, it will still lack some of the "anti-knock" characteristics of alcohol fuels.

None the less, the Civic's sensors will adjust timing accordingly - so, not a big issue.

Some food for thought:
OEM knock routines are very accurate (as they pick up just about everything under the sun), just slow to recover. OEM knock strategies often aggressively retard timing as soon as activity is detected from the knock sensor.
However, for performance applications, it can be beneficial to reduce the attack rate of knock retard as well as increase the recovery rate that increments timing back to normal. Even though spark advance tries to return to the desired value sooner, a repeat offense simply starts the routine over with another round of spark retardation. By not changing the actual threshold, this technique preserves engine protection while reducing the duration of knock strategy intrusion on the driving experience.
That is what the tuners have done with their tested tunes afforded with the purchase of the hardware.
Sponsored

Last edited:

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Did you wait for the prompt to turn the ignition off (with motor not running) and then ignition on after a few seconds before you press the ok button? There should be a "Flash Successful..." memo that finalizes the flash. All your lights should be normal.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Did you wait for the prompt to turn the ignition off (with motor not running) and then ignition on after a few seconds before you press the ok button? There should be a "Flash Successful..." memo that finalizes the flash. All your lights should be normal.
??
Wrong thread?

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Dont know man everyone saying it's a big difference but unfortunately for me I flash stage 2 and I barely noticed any difference?
I didn't quote from yesterday...….it's up a few...…..Abdool give it another try and wait for all the software to prompt you that it's a successful flash. All your lights should normalize immediately, not while your driving.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I try it again however the lights won't normalize immediately they go away after driving around for 5 minutes...I contact ktuner and they said that' the light in the dash wont go away immediately as u suggest
You are CORRECT @Abdool . The system needs to cycle through it's "Checks & Balances" before those will disappear. You have no issues in that department bud.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes I'll flash and get no errors afterwards at all and sometimes I'll get an error or two. They do take a bit of time to cycle off. It's normal like @Hollywoo0220 said.
Dont know man everyone saying it's a big difference but unfortunately for me I flash stage 2 and I barely noticed any difference?
As far as "barely noticing any difference", there's an easy way to be sure the tune completed successfully. Just do a datalog and a couple wide open throttle runs. If you're seeing the boost peaking at 21psi or so, all is well. :) Honestly though, the difference from stock to Stage 2 is huge.

Last edited:

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
But @vctsonicgrey said that all the light should go back normal immediately? Maybe he doesn't know
You have a sport touring? Your ECU is different then mine possibly and you got more hardware and software, paddles, etc...., I got no lights after a tune promise.........Maybe the 18's react different from the 17's. When I flash, and I've flashed a lot...I plug into the OBD2 port, hit the ignition button twice without starting the engine, fire up Ktuner on the pc and wait for it to say connected lower left, open the tune file I want to use, hit upload...….all the error sequences (lights) only come up on the dash for about 6 minutes, then they cycle out gone. After the load up, Ktuner prompts to power off the car for a few seconds then power on before hitting ok on the pc screen, then you're good to fire it up. Tada, no more lights, not one, nope even after starting the engine. Listen to it, it will sound different even at idle. This is what I get every single time and...... heard somewhere you need to let it run for a short drive for it to breathe the new life you gave it. Oh, you will notice a difference and it's a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I dont know man I flash stage 2 but I honestly didn't notice much difference. ...
Did you run a datalog with some WOT runs like I suggested?

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
Hmm.. I feel like I'm going crazy.

So I decided to plug my Ktuner V2 in to monitor knock count, etc today. This is the first time I had plugged the unit back in since tuning (dual starter in Tune 1 location). For some reason, I feel like my car is back to factory???

Also, when you upload the dual starter tune, what should the quick adjustments show? Mine shows all 'factory' right now after trying to re-upload the tune.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Abdool... to datalog, just press "start log" and press "stop log" before shutting the engine down.

905Civic...it wouldn't revert to factory unless you uploaded the factory tune. I'm not understanding your question about the quick adjustments. Your V2 wouldn't show that. Quick adjustments show up on the pc software when you're setting up a tune. Once you upload your tune, all the V2 would show is the name you chose for the slot you uploaded it to.

Last edited:

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
905Civic...it wouldn't revert to factory unless you uploaded the factory tune. I'm not understanding your question about the quick adjustments. Your V2 wouldn't show that. Quick adjustments show up on the pc software when you're setting up a tune. Once you upload your tune, all the V2 would show is the name you chose for the slot you uploaded it to.
Okay, maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me. I also put my summer tires on, so maybe that is switching up the feel too.

I understand the quick adjustments don't show on the V2 device. However, if I load the dual tune in the software and go to quick adjustments, everything shows factory. I thought it would have showed increases for this tune?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The software only stores the unadjusted original version. You won't see the version loaded to your V2. You have to manually save your tune to your pc. Then you can open that to re-edit the settings or just check it out at a later time.

Last edited:

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The software only stores the unadjusted original version. You won't see the version loaded to your V2. You have to manually save your tune to your pc. Then you can open that to re-edit the settings or just check it out at a later time.
Ahhh gotchya! So just to make sure I understand, lets say I start fresh and create a new tune (the dual starter 21 PSI). When I go to quick adjustments it will show factory settings for everything. If I wish to, I can adjust those to increased I or II. Then save to my PC, then upload the tune to slot 1. Then, flash in the car.

Any suggestions for if I should adjust the quick adjustments from 'factory'?

Such as:

Honda Civic 10th gen Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this! img_20190317_000053-

Along with early spool enabled?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You got it. I mean, you don't have to save a copy, but that's the only way to update your current tune instead of always doing a "new tune".

As far as early spool, I always enable it. I'm always fine tuning my quick adjustments; it's just personal preference for how you want the car to respond.
Sponsored