1.5T Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Dont know man everyone saying it's a big difference but unfortunately for me I flash stage 2 and I barely noticed any difference?
@Abdool
If you didn’t notice a difference you may have a slight pressure leak somewhere. My bet is that it is on your hot side hose. Were you on 91 or better octane? I know in Canada there is 94Oct, but is really 91in the U.S.
Sponsored

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wait so Canada 94 equals us 91?
From my understanding and the differentiating resistance of Octane ratings, yes.
The fuel used by KTuner in their development was U.S. grade fuel. Not all fuel octane ratings are exactly “on par” with one another.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok what about the leaks?
Was thinking that since you didnt notice a difference in the Stage 2 tune that you might be loosing some boost pressure somewhere - typically on the hot side hose.

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
Interesting. You would have definitely noticed the difference. As an FYI, I've been using Canadian 91 (PetroCanada) for the past 2 years. That's what in the current tank right now on tune as well and knock count is reading in the 0.4s. I'll be keeping an eye on it as the weather warms up and may switch to 94, if need be.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm impressed your k control stays that low on 91. I use 93 because 91 around here has a hard time keeping it at .49.

Hnichill81

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
If you flashed the dual starter 21, pressing the Econ button will switch to a factory psi tune (or whatever you choose from the psi dropdown list).[/QUOTE
I'm impressed your k control stays that low on 91. I use 93 because 91 around here has a hard time keeping it at .49.
Holy Shit, what a difference a KTuner makes. You were 100% right about that. I have a restricted license right now so I can't have too much fun.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Holy Shit, what a difference a KTuner makes. You were 100% right about that. I have a restricted license right now so I can't have too much fun.
People who haven't tuned sometimes think I'm exaggerating how different the car feels. It's night and day. It "ok" versus "hell yeah". The main thing is, it makes driving the car so much more confidence inspiring and of course, fun.

Hnichill81

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
People who haven't tuned sometimes think I'm exaggerating how different the car feels. It's night and day. It "ok" versus "hell yeah". The main thing is, it makes driving the car so much more confidence inspiring and of course, fun.
And yeah, I'm going to need to invest in some tires. The 21 PSI had me skipping when I accelerate too fast. I'm probably going to turn that down to 19. Now what's the difference between starter 19 PSI and the stage 1 which I believe is 19 PSI?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1psi of boost.:) Stage 1 is 18 psi.

Seriously though, the Staged tunes were KTuner's original base tunes. They're perfectly fine but pretty much as is. The Starter tunes are the user adjustable tunes and give you the chance to adjust throttle response, ramp, spool and more.

Hnichill81

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1psi of boost.:) Stage 1 is 18 psi.

Seriously though, the Staged tunes were KTuner's original base tunes. They're perfectly fine but pretty much as is. The Starter tunes are the user adjustable tunes and give you the chance to adjust throttle response, ramp, spool and more.
Oh, ok. I couldn't remember if it was 18 or 19. And I have to use Beta tunes because my ECU wasn't supported yet. I don't want to fool with the stuff I don't know about, my car is way to expensive for that. Thanks again.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
@Abdool
If you didn’t notice a difference you may have a slight pressure leak somewhere. My bet is that it is on your hot side hose. Were you on 91 or better octane? I know in Canada there is 94Oct, but is really 91in the U.S.
Canada has a couple different 94 octanes.

In British Columbia, Chevron 94 has no ethanol and is not highly regarded. As well all 91 in Canada is ethanol free and not ideal for turbocharged. In several provinces they have Petro Canada 94 with 10% ethanol which is what I have used for the last 2 years. This is rated as 101.5 RON and is about the best you'll find in Canada. I'm not sure how it compares to US 93 but it's definitely better than the 91.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Canada has a couple different 94 octanes.

In British Columbia, Chevron 94 has no ethanol and is not highly regarded. As well all 91 in Canada is ethanol free and not ideal for turbocharged. In several provinces they have Petro Canada 94 with 10% ethanol which is what I have used for the last 2 years. This is rated as 101.5 RON and is about the best you'll find in Canada. I'm not sure how it compares to US 93 but it's definitely better than the 91.
@marauderguy good stuff! Was completely unaware of the lack of ethanol content; thus, that would explain a slight drop in actual Octane value in the fuel.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So now I'm confused. A guy yesterday said he uses 91 in Canada (which from the previous post is poor for turbos) and he claimed he is seeing knock control in the .4's. How is this happening? I'm only seeing .49 when running 10% ethanol 93 octane in the US.

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So now I'm confused. A guy yesterday said he uses 91 in Canada (which from the previous post is poor for turbos) and he claimed he is seeing knock control in the .4's. How is this happening? I'm only seeing .49 when running 10% ethanol 93 octane in the US.
He stated “Knock Count” - might be a mistype or monitoring the wrong thing

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Petro Canada

91 Octane No Ethanol
RON 97.2
MON 85.6

94 Octane with Ethanol