Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Brand new units are $449 for a V1.2, $649 for a V2. KTuner.com/products

You don't need to keep it plugged in after flashing.

Guides and info: KTuner.com/KTunerHelp
Sponsored

ocbooger

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know what the output of torque and horse power is on these tunes or what people are currently getting in terms of output? As I believe most of the trim levels we are discussing here are in the 174HP/164ft Lbs of torque range when stock, at least this is what is rated for my touring sedan.

I am waiting for the thaw of spring to hit us here up North before doing performance mods to the vehicle and focusing more on aesthetics right now but looking to lower it on Eibach pro-kit springs with front and rear sway bar included and Megan racing tower strut bar to tighten up suspension for the increased power I am looking to add. I am also looking to get new wheels and tires although that may come later as I am looking to see what the car feels like with the suspension mods for fitment and performance as I have only really driven the stock 17 wheels and rubber combo for about 1000Km before putting on the winter wheel and tire combo.

Power mods coming in April (As my tax return will be allocated towards)
- Mishimoto CAI
- Mishimoto Intercooler and silicone piping kit
- Hondata

I just want to know if anyone knows what the output of their actual vehicle is? As on a custom tune I've seen some videos and dug up info on a custom tune and combo of CAI and Intercooler with a tune can get closer to 220HP/230 Ft LBS of Torque.

And the most elusive piece of information is what the CVT can handle in terms of Torque and HP as I am looking to get more power but in no way am I looking to get CTR type power but slightly over Si would be awesome without putting myself at risk of damaging the CVT which is of more concern then the engine and or turbo as I have also read that they are equipped to handle a bit more grunt.

Sorry to be so long winded just wanted to see what people can offer in terms of info. Thx
Great summary here https://www.civicx.com/threads/power-metrics-limitations-for-1-5l-turbo-non-si-models.33545/ by @Hollywoo0220

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
As a general rule, you should always stick to the basemaps unless you have a pro tune it for you.

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
That’s great unfortunately I read the entire article and it didn’t tell me a single hp of difference. Beautiful article that tells me nothing. So should I stick to basemap 0 for my non si?
You want better, but safer power correct?
When you get your modification(s) installed, opt for an E-Tune from a reputable Tuner that supports whichever tuning device you use. I say E-Tune, because a CVT is most difficult to tune on a dyno - best method is driving on the road and communicating datalog(s) to the tuner.
Either way, whether you choose Base tunes or a Custom - you will be running more efficiently with the upgraded IC.

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You want better, but safer power correct?
When you get your modification(s) installed, opt for an E-Tune from a reputable Tuner that supports whichever tuning device you use. I say E-Tune, because a CVT is most difficult to tune on a dyno - best method is driving on the road and communicating datalog(s) to the tuner.
Either way, whether you choose Base tunes or a Custom - you will be running more efficiently with the upgraded IC.
I doubt I’m putting in an IC. I just want the hiccups with the stock tune gone so minimal upgrade to remove turbo and rev lag.

ocbooger

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s great unfortunately I read the entire article and it didn’t tell me a single hp of difference. Beautiful article that tells me nothing. So should I stick to basemap 0 for my non si?
I was replying to HexSosa1's question about what the CVT can handle. Consensus seems to be 230-250 torque is the safe zone. Without putting it on a Dyno there's no way to tell what your HP is going to be. Any Basetune from KTuner on stock is safe to run with the 21psi tune putting you closer to the "safe" zone. What the article demonstrates is that the best mods for our CVT's is the tune and IC.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt I’m putting in an IC. I just want the hiccups with the stock tune gone so minimal upgrade to remove turbo and rev lag.
It's your call on the IC. It's a nice upgrade but not mandatory. If you're keeping your car stock, the base starter tunes with tweaked throttle, ramp and turbo reponsiveness will change your car's driveability.

KTuner is an amazing mod for what you pay. I've been modding cars for 25+ years and it's the best bang for the buck power mod I've ever installed/used.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Depends if you're looking max summer or ultra high performance all seasons and how much you want to spend. Are you sticking with the stock wheels?

If you're on a budget and going all-seasons, the General GMax AS-05 or BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP 2 A/S are a nice upgrade over stock. For more $$, the Continental DWS06 is excellent and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are fantastic.

Last edited:

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's your call on the IC. It's a nice upgrade but not mandatory. If you're keeping your car stock, the base starter tunes with tweaked throttle, ramp and turbo reponsiveness will change your car's driveability.

KTuner is an amazing mod for what you pay. I've been modding cars for 25+ years and it's the best bang for the buck power mod I've ever installed/used.
Yeah I’m not even close to buying one yet. Probably gonna wait til someone puts one up for $300 or so. I’ll research exactly what the vasetunes on the ktuner are once I get it. Like I said minimal tuning is gonna happen.

HexSosa1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was replying to HexSosa1's question about what the CVT can handle. Consensus seems to be 230-250 torque is the safe zone. Without putting it on a Dyno there's no way to tell what your HP is going to be. Any Basetune from KTuner on stock is safe to run with the 21psi tune putting you closer to the "safe" zone. What the article demonstrates is that the best mods for our CVT's is the tune and IC.
Thanks for the link to that feed it confirmed what I have pretty much already suspected and researched. I am definitely considering the IC with upgraded charge pipes as I have seen a Mishimoto kit that caught my eye along with the CAi which is more for sound with that nice "Whoosh" it provides with the turbo. I know that the CAI will come first because the price point is more attainable right away but IC is definitely on my list along with a tune (Leaning towards Hondata but not sure what I will get) as I know the combo of the 3 will definitely inject more power into the whole set up. Suspension will be first as trying to get it slightly lowered and some beefed up sway bars before adding power I want this thing to corner like it is on rails so the power can be held going through corners as well.

ocbooger

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the link to that feed it confirmed what I have pretty much already suspected and researched. I am definitely considering the IC with upgraded charge pipes as I have seen a Mishimoto kit that caught my eye along with the CAi which is more for sound with that nice "Whoosh" it provides with the turbo. I know that the CAI will come first because the price point is more attainable right away but IC is definitely on my list along with a tune (Leaning towards Hondata but not sure what I will get) as I know the combo of the 3 will definitely inject more power into the whole set up. Suspension will be first as trying to get it slightly lowered and some beefed up sway bars before adding power I want this thing to corner like it is on rails so the power can be held going through corners as well.
I'm running Ktuners 21psi/ECO dual tune and PRL Race CAI at the moment. Just ordered the PRL IC with the upgraded charge pipes and the Pro Civic mesh grille. Figured I would change the grille while I had the bumper off for the IC install.
Looking at coilovers and sway bar down the road too.

HexSosa1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm running Ktuners 21psi/ECO dual tune and PRL Race CAI at the moment. Just ordered the PRL IC with the upgraded charge pipes and the Pro Civic mesh grille. Figured I would change the grille while I had the bumper off for the IC install.
Looking at coilovers and sway bar down the road too.
Sounds like a similar set-up to what I am looking to get to although I have a Touring Sedan (No choice GF hates 6MT so had to go CVT which limits power and upgrade capabilities but love the interior trim and appointments) I decided to black out the chrome grill, smoked side markers, added Lamin-X yellow fog tint and LED bulbs for the fogs as well and my front lip arrived in the mail today should be putting that sucker on when we get closer to spring. I was gonna do more but find that with most folks going Si or Hatch my front end already look slightly different to the modded Civics I see out there and different enough than the base grocery getters sedans that don't have the fogs and or LED headlights. Maybe thinking putting gun smoked tint on the front headlights and rears as well still debating.

Planned additions and in order:
- Megan Racing strut tower bar
- Eibach pro kit lowering springs (kit I am ordering includes front and rear sway bars)
- Motegi MR127 18X8 +38 offset on Indy Firehawks 235/40/18
-Hondata
- Mishimoto CAI
- Mishimoto IC with silicone charge pipes

This is what I have planned for now (besides a few other aesthetic mods) and with the end of winter being like end of March, Mid-April in Ontario I am looking to have this all done by Mayish hopefully.

Last edited:

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
So for those having fun with ktune and only stock equipment, anybody tweak their starter 21 tune maps? What have you done to edge the base mid psi's up besides the quick adjustments to get it spooled up just a little bit earlier? Using highway speeds as a guide, rpm's around 1700-2100 at 5-10 mph over the limit.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I played around with bumping boost to 23psi from 3500 to 5500 rpm for a while. It certainly had more power but I dialed it back for reliability concerns. I'm overall happy with my 3 different on the fly tunes. I just need to tweak some ramp and throttle settings a bit.
Sponsored