Hate Side Chrome Window Trims, options?

misslecommand1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hi all! Have a 2020 Si Sedan and love the look, minus the terrible chrome trim on all side windows (it looks nasty when most other things are black) and the chrome badges. Questions:

1) Chrome top window trim: I stopped by a body shop and he said those window trim pieces (3 per side) are single-use. You can buy new ones for about $30 each but then it didn't seem like he liked the idea of painting them. He told me they didn't come in black but I am pretty sure I have seen them in black on the hatchback. I assume those are shaped differently than the sedan? He also would not paint them on the car -- he said that is a bad idea. Anyhow, suggestion? He said I might be able to get them wrapped by someone where that can be done by leaving them on the car. Not sure I want to spend $500 on this, however.

2) Chrome badges: Can someone point me where to get good or official black badges for the "civic" and "H" on the trunk and also for the "H" on the grill? Also, how do I get the old ones off and the new ones on?

Thanks all!
Joe

Honda Civic 10th gen Hate Side Chrome Window Trims, options? IMG_20210904_095135579_HDR
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

_1slowsi_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Si
Country flag
1) Chrome top window trim: I stopped by a body shop and he said those window trim pieces (3 per side) are single-use. You can buy new ones for about $30 each but then it didn't seem like he liked the idea of painting them. He told me they didn't come in black but I am pretty sure I have seen them in black on the hatchback. I assume those are shaped differently than the sedan? He also would not paint them on the car -- he said that is a bad idea. Anyhow, suggestion? He said I might be able to get them wrapped by someone where that can be done by leaving them on the car. Not sure I want to spend $500 on this, however.
https://unity-performance.com/colle.../products/jets-vinyl-2016-civic-chrome-delete
you could check out @Unity Performance chrome delete kit.

IonEX-T

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-t
Country flag
I plasti dipped both my window trim and emblems and it looks fine.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Pro Civic sells the window vent covers along with the remaining front and back vinyl pieces to black them out, I have it and I love it.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I tried a set of chrome delete from Ebay originally and it just didn't apply and stick well enough to last long term. Re-did it with a jets vinyl set like from Unity and have had 0 issues since.

Hypergolic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CR-V, 2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hi all! Have a 2020 Si Sedan and love the look, minus the terrible chrome trim on all side windows (it looks nasty when most other things are black) and the chrome badges. Questions:

2) Chrome badges: Can someone point me where to get good or official black badges for the "civic" and "H" on the trunk and also for the "H" on the grill? Also, how do I get the old ones off and the new ones on?

Thanks all!
Joe

IMG_20210904_095135579_HDR.jpg
So I used Plasitdip to get the badges and emblems on the front and back. Super easy to use even if you've never done it before. Plenty of youtube videos to show how its done, and it can be bought in your local auto shop or even your big box stores.

I recently posted my results from the chrome delete package offered by Crux Motorsports. Air release (no wet) vinyl pre-cut pieces. easy install, once again watch some tutorials. Make sure the area is clean- wash with mild detergent and wipe down with IPA to get the wax/oils off. Do the work in a still-air enclosed space to cut down on dust for best results. Took me ( a noob) about an hour to very carefully do all six pieces on my 2020 SI sedan.

Kit cost like 40 bucks, and the customer service has been exemplary (working with them now on an unrelated mixup- entirely my fault but hey are being real pros about it!)

here's the link for a visual:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/whats-your-si-looking-like-today.35113/post-1050646

OP
OP

misslecommand1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks all! I will order the vinyl wrap window chrome delete package you all mentioned. Also like side blinker blackout they have.

Question about Plastidip: How long does it last? Can you wash and wax over it without it coming off? Will it last through a northeastern winter? Or, am I setting myself up for re-coating it every year? I see you can buy the black badges (official) and honsetly I'd buy those but the directions for putting them on look like a beast (remove bumper, etc). I am a newbie to these modifications.
https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08F20-TBA-100.html

Thanks again all. This sure is a great place!
-Joe

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question about Plastidip:
1- How long does it last?
2- Can you wash and wax over it without it coming off?
3-Will it last through a northeastern winter?
4- Or, am I setting myself up for re-coating it every year?
1- 3 to 5 years i would say...my 2016 had them for 4 years and it was still fine...
2- Yes, but not for the first month or so...at first it's rubbery and sticky so you have to pay attention with your micro-fibre when drying your car...but overtime it cure and gets harder and very slick, hard and plastic over time after a few wash and then you don't need to worry about it anymore
3- it lasted through 3 winters in the Montreal area...
4- unless you're doing it wrong i don't see why you'd have to do it every year...just watch tutorials on how to properly do it and put more coats than you think you need that way it'll last and will be easier to peel off later ;)

dip is much better than vinyl BTW especially for winter where you'll be sure to ruin it at some point with your snow-brush/ice scraper. Plasti dip sticks on a lot better than vinyl and much harder to damage/scratch/accidentally peel a freaking little bit by accident. And it's also a lot easier to do a clean job with dip...just get something to cover your entire car like old sheets or something to prevent over-spray everywhere...it can by wiped off but it's pain.

Do not put glossifier is shite...it makes it look gray...just use the real normal matte black plasti dip and itll come out awesome...i've done it on 3 civics so far without any problem. (other than overspray on the first 2 cars now i've learned to mask the whole thing as much as possible and not do it in the wind...)
Also don't do it if it's too hot, or in the sun...or if it's too cold...put your plasti dip can in warm water for 10 min before you use it itll make it come out smoother...anyways like i said go on youtube and check tutorials...there are tips but i've told you most. If you're doing your windows trims and your badges i would recommend 2 cans and spray most of it...keep like half a can or a bit less in case you'd have to do a repair down the line but 1 can isn't enough it'll be too thin...put like 6 or 7 good coats.

Last edited:

OP
OP

misslecommand1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks yansag1982 for all the tips regarding Plastidip. I will likely give it try. Might try it on some curb rash I have on the wheels as well.

Was hoping for a glossy black finish when done but at this point, I just the badges black and don't want to remove the bumper, lol! Saw this more expensive Hyperdip stuff that comes in glossy, but not sure it is worth the cost.

I'm also thinking about ripping the "Civic" badge off on the rear and just leaving the "Si." Then, no one will know it is a Civic (sarcasm). I seriously think it would look better back there!

h83

First Name
h
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks yansag1982 for all the tips regarding Plastidip. I will likely give it try. Might try it on some curb rash I have on the wheels as well.

Was hoping for a glossy black finish when done but at this point, I just the badges black and don't want to remove the bumper, lol! Saw this more expensive Hyperdip stuff that comes in glossy, but not sure it is worth the cost.

I'm also thinking about ripping the "Civic" badge off on the rear and just leaving the "Si." Then, no one will know it is a Civic (sarcasm). I seriously think it would look better back there!
here's what that would look like, from a proud Honda ????? Si owner.

you can't see it really, but i kept the Si on there.

i also did a chrome delete kit off ebay. for the front and back emblems, i am also thinking about purchasing black Honda OEM badges. from what i've seen, people typically buy a new emblem and pull out the old one (breaking the clips of the emblem instead of taking off the bumper).

Honda Civic 10th gen Hate Side Chrome Window Trims, options? siback - Copy

Last edited: