Hatchback Tinting NY/CT

Amatsukaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I want to get my hatch ceramic tinted, but places that use ceramic tint are few, if my research is correct. I also prefer a place that has experience with hatches because of the pita it is to to tint the rear window without taking out the spoiler, which I am avoiding at all costs.

Any recommendations for Westchester county/Fairfield county?

As a side note, what tint % do you guys get away with in CT?
Sponsored

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I want to get my hatch ceramic tinted, but places that use ceramic tint are few, if my research is correct. I also prefer a place that has experience with hatches because of the pita it is to to tint the rear window without taking out the spoiler, which I am avoiding at all costs.

Any recommendations for Westchester county/Fairfield county?

As a side note, what tint % do you guys get away with in CT?
A decent tint place will probably have a whole separate rear windshield that they specifically use to form the tint film to, for just this reason. Make some phone calls and I imagine you should be able to find a place that does it that way. The place I use where I live has several rear windshields on hand for difficult cars that are commonly tinted.

OP
OP
Amatsukaze

Amatsukaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A decent tint place will probably have a whole separate rear windshield that they specifically use to form the tint film to, for just this reason. Make some phone calls and I imagine you should be able to find a place that does it that way. The place I use where I live has several rear windshields on hand for difficult cars that are commonly tinted.
I would def feel most comfortable with a place recommended in an enthusiast forum lol.

I also don't expect most shops to have a hatch window on hand. It's been 4 years though so it might not be as unreasonable as I think at this point.

Plan B is just what you said though. I already did my own research so I do have about 2 places in Danbury and New Haven so far.

kcvpr

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I would def feel most comfortable with a place recommended in an enthusiast forum lol.

I also don't expect most shops to have a hatch window on hand. It's been 4 years though so it might not be as unreasonable as I think at this point.

Plan B is just what you said though. I already did my own research so I do have about 2 places in Danbury and New Haven so far.
Well the civic is one of the most commonly sold cars in the US... My hole in the wall shop in a small town had several. I think you would be surprised what shops will do to save time and product.

OP
OP
Amatsukaze

Amatsukaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well the civic is one of the most commonly sold cars in the US... My hole in the wall shop in a small town had several. I think you would be surprised what shops will do to save time and product.
I mean sure, but are hatches as common as a standard sedan, and does everyone get a tint on their hatch? I digress though, I'm not trying to get into a statistics discussion at 3 in the morning lmao.

I think what I'm looking for is just a bit targeted so I'm hoping to get a recommendation for peace of mind ??‍♂ clearly my goal isn't to just go to any shop.

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
Considering the big hassle they have to go through to disassemble rear hatch, a smart shop would just order a rear windshield for pennies compared to time saved. Too bad, I wouldn't count on too many shops to use their brains.

OP
OP
Amatsukaze

Amatsukaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Considering the big hassle they have to go through to disassemble rear hatch, a smart shop would just order a rear windshield for pennies compared to time saved. Too bad, I wouldn't count on too many shops to use their brains.
I've read shops pass the charge onto the customer if they have to disassemble.

I'm trying to avoid the charge and unnecessary fiddling by a 3rd party. Last thing I need is my spoiler rattling or flying away in my rearviews.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I doubt they'd need to remove the spoiler tbh. The hatch glass in these would be one of the easier pieces of rear glass to tint, given its curves aren't too extreme. Some other cars are a real pain. Years ago I tinted a Toyota Sera rear glass and that was the biggest PITA ever. ?

Brecz

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Not in CT but i got 30% ceramic on all 4 door windows and the hatch. They did remove the spoiler for me and that was an extra $50. I'd suggest doing it this way as it turned out great for me and the spoiler was installed perfectly after taking it off. Total was $400 though. Top of the line ceramic tint though. Sedans were $350 at my place normally.

Edit: Go to a reputable shop that offers lifetime warranty as long as you own it still. That way you are covered. Any reputable shop will use 3M adhesive to get the spoiler to stay, the same adhesive used to bond it from the shop. I wash my car every week and no issues with tinting or the spoiler feeling loose.
Sponsored