Hatchback Sport Stock Cat-Back Exhaust Weight?

Big Sloth

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
Specifically the cat-back portion. Trying to determine if an aftermarket cat back exhaust has any weight savings compared to the stock HB Sport cat back. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Can't find it at the moment, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the weight difference between the stock and my 27WON exhaust was negligible. I'd expect that to be true of most catbacks unless you're buying a titanium exhaust.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Stock Type R exhaust is around 39 lbs... I'd imagine the Sport exhaust is somewhat similar in weight.

An exhaust like Greddy or Remark that cuts the number of mufflers down to one would be a little lighter. But the real weight savings would be going titanium. A titanium exhaust could be 10 to 15 lbs lighter.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Stock Type R exhaust is around 39 lbs... I'd imagine the Sport exhaust is somewhat similar in weight.

An exhaust like Greddy or Remark that cuts the number of mufflers down to one would be a little lighter. But the real weight savings would be going titanium. A titanium exhaust could be 10 to 15 lbs lighter.
Let's see...
1kg = ~2.2lbs
39lbs = 17.73 kg = 17727 g
The density of steel = 7.75 g/cm3
The density of titanium = 4.5 g/cm3

17727g steel * (cm3/7.75g steel) * (4.5g titanium/cm3) = 10293g = 10.293kg * 2.2lbs/1kg = 22.64 lbs

I just googled the density of steel since I don't know the grade they use for the exhaust. Probably ~17lbs if using a different muffler design.

If you really want to drop the weight. You have to use aluminum. It can be done but don't expect durability.

Gefiltefish

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
If you want a light exhaust - just do a muffler delete on an OEM system. The OEM "one-piece" and "small diameter" piping are very lightweight.... Any aftermarket exhaust is going to increase the piping diameter (which adds weight) and use flanges/vbands/slip joints (also adds weight).

Obviously a muffler delete may not sound great and doesn't give any performance benefits besides the weight.

OEM systems have come a long way from the old days where they were restrictive, heavy and low quality. The weight and performance savings are just not there like they were 20 years ago.

I was also personally looking for a lightweight option as well and found nothing good. I have a 27won system on order. Although its not significantly lighter than an OEM system - it offered the piping diameter I wanted (3inch is overkill for my application) and the build quality looks great.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I can weigh mine when I get home if I remember.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I got right at 32 lbs. My exhaust also has a resonator delete, so probably off by a pound or 2.

OP
OP

Big Sloth

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
I got right at 32 lbs. My exhaust also has a resonator delete, so probably off by a pound or 2.
Thank you! Man, the stock exhaust is indeed pretty light. Many of the aftermarket options would appear to add weight as mentioned above.

I have the remark cat back on order currently. I believe the entire package weighs 40lb, making the exhaust probably around 35lb.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Big thanks for doing this. Was trying to find stock exhaust information since I never got around to weighing mine when it was off. I do have a 3" Injen exhaust that I plan on putting back on after I have an AFE front pipe installed. The Injen exhaust has been modified to be quieter with a muffler of my choice. Here's my Injen exhaust weight info. The muffler pipe is going to be more on my part because I have an actual 'muffler' unlike what Injen had on it.

Just posting the info below so people know that the heavier 3" piping can be offset by having no muffler (or a very light/small/hollow one).

3" Injen Catback Weights
Frontpipe connecting Pipe - 12.4lbs (5.62kg)
Midpipe - 8lbs (3.63kg)
Muffler Pipe - 12.6lbs (5.72kg)
Total weight = 33lbs (15kg)
Sponsored