Jason3123

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport 2019
Country flag
So I’m on my 3rd one in less than 4 months. I feel like it doesn’t have enough screws underneath or in the front. Too many cheap ass plastic clips. I’ve noticed it seems to break off slightly on the passenger side. I don’t think it has enough support, it just sort of clips into the front bumper. It’s very flexible.
Sponsored

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a civic sport with 53000 miles. Haven’t had this happen yet. Knock on wood. But the lip does feel tight and in place. Drive all freeway mostly around 75-90. Haven’t had this happen yet but I do see that the sides do flex if I push down on it. I think if they do replace it for you again possibly add 3m automotive heavy duty molding tape around it so it clips in and sticks. Be sure to buy from a reputable store as a lot of fake 3m tape. Fake 3m tape Will not offer the same sticking capabilities. Seeing more lips fall off I may just do that this weekend to add more reinforcement for better peace of mind.

Last edited:

vicpodo

First Name
victoria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
TLDR: Civic Hatchback Sport front lip cannot take the repeated downforce created by sustained 100+mph cruising.
-
My 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport was in excellent condition. I've owned it since new and I am very anal about my cars. No dings, no scratches, no curbed wheels and I park very far away from other vehicles and curbs in every car I own. I live in Arizona, so it's actually very easy to park far from everyone else if you don't mind the exercise. The only reason I mention this is because I am certain my vehicle had no prior damage outside of rock chips.

I use the Civic as a commuter car and it does a LOT of freeway miles because my home is 30 miles one direction from where my office is. The car is 30 months old and it has 42,000+ miles on the odometer. In full disclosure, this car often experiences sustained speeds of 100+ mph (On the track). Yesterday, while cruising around 100mph (on the track) I felt and heard the front lip break away my front bumper. At the time there was nobody around me, and I had a clear view ahead, so I'm certain I did not run over anything or get impacted by anything. I pulled over and discovered that when the front lip clips pulled away from the brackets the bumper, it also ripped back a lot of the undercarriage plastic covers. The plastics protecting the underside of the Civic are also attached to the wheel well liners, and those were also destroyed and ripped away. The front lip breaking away at 100mph did a surprising amount of damage to the vehicle.

I wanted to share this because if there are other owners out there driving the piss out of their hatchback civic sport, you should install those tie-rods that reinforce the front lip.
IMG_2868.jpg
Brother … this happened to me last month .. 2018 sport hatch and the dealership said I haddd to of hit something, stating they’ve never seen it before.. A clip was missing and the lip was even melted from hitting the engine while I was pulling over. Wheelwells torn apart like a dog was chewing on them. My dash cam showed nothing on the roads during my 2hr commute. Yes my car frequently hits higher speeds too so this just answered a lot of my questions haha. Thank you for sharing

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I'm glad I came across this thread. I was gonna order a sport hatch lip to compliment the sport hatch side skirts I installed on my Si. Maybe i'll hold off on that for now lol. those lips aren't cheap.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm glad I came across this thread. I was gonna order a sport hatch lip to compliment the sport hatch side skirts I installed on my Si. Maybe i'll hold off on that for now lol. those lips aren't cheap.
Bayson R lip is priced better and is made to fit the si. It comes with self tapping screws, but for added strength, bolts with washers and nuts are the way to go. You just have to remove the bumper to mount this way

Augenauf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Bayson R lip is priced better and is made to fit the si. It comes with self tapping screws, but for added strength, bolts with washers and nuts are the way to go. You just have to remove the bumper to mount this way
i'll check that out!

hondabandit

First Name
hondaman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 sport hatch
Country flag
I routinely hit 100mph but not sustained cruise. Haven't had problems with the lip yet. When I first got the civic, Honda bumper felt mich softer than any of my other previous cars.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

FK7_ALX

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic sport touring hatchback
Country flag
Yeah this same problem happened recently to me too. I had hit 100ish on the freeway and there was a bit more wind then usual but nothing crazy and my oem front splitter had ripped off along with my driver side fender liner. I had cleaned my car 30 minutes before and didn’t notice any wobble on the splitter so I know for sure that it wasn’t loose. Kinda sucks that it ripped off but I guess I could use it as a excuse to upgrade lol.

Longislandcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 hatchback
Country flag
I hit over 100 almost every morning in mexico, and I haven't lost it yet.
Sponsored